Go Back   RimfireCentral.com Forums > > >

Notices

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 09-25-2018, 01:47 PM
Tomcat141

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
ATI/GSG question

Hello everyone. I have recently been reading about the 1911 22lr handguns and have a couple questions.

I understand the GSG is imported by ATI. Is there one branded ATI rather than GSG, and if so, what is the difference?

My second question is concerning the slide material. If the slide has the steel pin at the rear of the slide lock notch, does that indicate it is the aluminum slide as opposed to the Zamak slide of earlier pistols?

Thanks in advance for your help.
Old 09-25-2018, 02:10 PM

TPC Rating: 
100% (3)
I found info online in the past that gave a good run-down on the updates made; havent been there in a good while and sure dont remember much (oldtimers...).
What sticks in my mind is that if it has the pin it has most/all the good upgrades. Mine does so I stopped worrying, but, that pin wont stop all the peening over time. I go easy on it for the lock in ‘just because’. It isnt much of a big deal for general funnin around.
The GSI is the Sig, dont know if there is an ATI specific.
I like mine, an affordable, reliable, fun 1911 22lr for my fixed income.
Old 09-25-2018, 02:13 PM
Tomcat141

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by gcrank1 View Post
I found info online in the past that gave a good run-down on the updates made; havent been there in a good while and sure dont remember much (oldtimers...).
What sticks in my mind is that if it has the pin it has most/all the good upgrades. Mine does so I stopped worrying, but, that pin wont stop all the peening over time. I go easy on it for the lock in ‘just because’. It isnt much of a big deal for general funnin around.
The GSI is the Sig, dont know if there is an ATI specific.
I like mine, an affordable, reliable, fun 1911 22lr for my fixed income.
Thank you sir!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-25-2018, 10:48 PM
armed in utah

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
ATI imports the GSG......GSG is built in same plant as the Sig 1911-22

as per U Tube....Sig supplies 2 mags.....GSG only one.......

Bought the GSG a few weeks ago....added a bushing/rod upgrade from

Tandemkross...$69.....nice......have 500+ rds out of pistol.....

Agulia Super Extra & Win 333 ammo....nice plinker for the money....

Old 09-26-2018, 08:14 AM
jon p
US Army Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (4)
ATI

is the importer, the GSG pistols are only sold under the GSG name. of course, the SIG is just a rebranded GSG with a different finish and grips, and HIGHER PRICE ! I believe all the pistols have an aluminum slide, and alloy frame. my early GSG didnt have the reinforcement pin in the slide stop notch and it was starting to peen after about 250 shots. I traded it off and got the colt/walther gold cup, with slide notch reinforcement . the colt is a better 1911 style .22 pistol, better finish, ETC, but this is MY OPINION. GSG is decent ,mine shot well after a good break in.
Old 09-26-2018, 09:05 AM
Tomcat141

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by armed in utah View Post
ATI imports the GSG......GSG is built in same plant as the Sig 1911-22

as per U Tube....Sig supplies 2 mags.....GSG only one.......

Bought the GSG a few weeks ago....added a bushing/rod upgrade from

Tandemkross...$69.....nice......have 500+ rds out of pistol.....

Agulia Super Extra & Win 333 ammo....nice plinker for the money....

Thank you for the reply. My friend has the Sig version, but I have not seen it for quite some time. I plan to get with him soon and shoot it. We live several miles apart, so have to make some arrangements for a get together. I will probably hold off until then.
Old 09-26-2018, 09:08 AM
Tomcat141

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Thanks again guys

Quote:
Originally Posted by jon p View Post
is the importer, the GSG pistols are only sold under the GSG name. of course, the SIG is just a rebranded GSG with a different finish and grips, and HIGHER PRICE ! I believe all the pistols have an aluminum slide, and alloy frame. my early GSG didnt have the reinforcement pin in the slide stop notch and it was starting to peen after about 250 shots. I traded it off and got the colt/walther gold cup, with slide notch reinforcement . the colt is a better 1911 style .22 pistol, better finish, ETC, but this is MY OPINION. GSG is decent ,mine shot well after a good break in.
I will probably stay with the GSG due to the price difference. I am still thinking on it for now. I always tend to over analyze things.
Old 09-26-2018, 09:11 AM

TPC Rating: 
100% (3)
Btw, my GSG is a ‘deluxe’ dual-tone version, more like a Gold Cup with some nice bells and whistles and specifically an ambi safety. I was able to quickly fit some aftermarket 1911 grip panels (already precut for the ambi) by enlarging part of the ambi cutout with a small chisel.
And my package came with 2 magazines.
It has been quite reliable with copper plated bullet HV ammo. Typically I shoot until the last cartridge of the mag is chambered, drop the mag, insert the new and keep rockin’. This avoids one slide lock-back on that pin.
Havent done anything to it but tear down to inspect/clean/lube, reassemble and shoot. Once dirty it bobbles (duh), keep it reasonably clean and half wet and it runs.
Old 09-27-2018, 01:00 PM
bluzman

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
As far as I can tell, Sig Sauer no longer offers a 1911-22. They do sell a .22 version of their P938 but for a substantially higher MSRP.

As for peening the slide, I think that it is the reason that the GSG manual says that the one should slingshot the slide.
Old 09-27-2018, 03:32 PM
BulletBait
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Manual ? No one needs no stinkin manual. Reading only takes time away from shootin. I read mine and have only sling back the slide to release. No wear on the notch after five years of it usually with me on gun club trips. Have yet to strip it down to sand the nasty black off the trigger. The nose cone is for a real 45.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg GSG 1911-2.jpg (387.9 KB, 14 views)
Old 10-03-2018, 01:47 PM
snagglepuss

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Can't directly answer your question.
I'll just say this. I've had my GSG about 7 years (so doesn't have the steel pin) and conservatively 10000 rounds. Put in an aftermarked guide rod, spring and barrel bushing about three years ago which halved my group sizes.
Had it out this past weekend. Shows some wear (which gives it character) but it runs like the day I brought it home.
Old 10-06-2018, 01:56 PM
Tomcat141

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Pulled the trigger!

No pun intended.................well maybe. Had my LGS order the ATI/GSG for me yesterday. Should be here next week. I chose the black finish with wood grips. I think that combo looks pretty cool. Can't wait to get my mitts on it.

Thanks to everyone for their comments and information. It is greatly appreciated.
Old 10-06-2018, 02:08 PM
Tomcat141

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by BulletBait View Post
Manual ? No one needs no stinkin manual. Reading only takes time away from shootin. I read mine and have only sling back the slide to release. No wear on the notch after five years of it usually with me on gun club trips. Have yet to strip it down to sand the nasty black off the trigger. The nose cone is for a real 45.
Sweet!!!! I love the look. Did it come with the silver slide or did you polish it yourself?
Old 10-06-2018, 02:09 PM
jon p
US Army Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (4)
ACADEMY SPORTS

Is selling these GSG 1911`s now, one is as low as 250.00, not a bad price.
Old 10-06-2018, 02:21 PM
Tomcat141

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by jon p View Post
Is selling these GSG 1911`s now, one is as low as 250.00, not a bad price.
That is close to the price I am getting due to some wholesaler having a special according to my LGS. I have no idea where they found it.