Go Back   RimfireCentral.com Forums > >

Notices

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 08-09-2018, 11:45 PM
juleslewis

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
HD Military Recoil Spring Replacement??

I bought a HD Military. The previous owner buggered up the recoil spring such that the spring can't be captured by holding the rod in and pressing the lock plunger. I've ordered a new recoil spring from Numrich. I assume that I have to drift out the stop pin and remove the spring stop. Any advice would be appreciated.

Jules Lewis
Old 08-10-2018, 08:16 AM
NRA Member - Click Here To Join! GOA Member

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Spring replacement

Very important — cut the Numrich driving spring down to 40 coils before installing it on the guide rod. Put the tighter end of the spring on the rod first. Be sure to capture the spring guide rod with the pickup spring before putting the slide back on the frame. Not doing these things will make life unhappy for you with this pistol.
Old 08-10-2018, 11:15 AM
US Air Force Veteran

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by juleslewis View Post
... The previous owner buggered up the recoil spring such that the spring can't be captured by holding the rod in and pressing the lock plunger. ... Jules Lewis
Are you saying you can not remove the slide from the gun?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-10-2018, 07:18 PM
juleslewis

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
I have the slide off of the frame. The recoil spring is fully extended. It's not captured by the assembly lock plunger. The spring has a kink in it and I can't push the rod and spring far enough into the hole in the front of the slide to capture it. So I need to remove and replace the recoil spring and then get the spring and rod recaptured so that I can put the slide back on the frame.
Old 08-10-2018, 08:56 PM

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
driving spring replacement

Drift the plug pin out of the slide. Be prepared to catch the plug when you pull the punch out of the hole. There will be spring pressure pushing out the spring and plug. Remove the old driving spring and guide. Remove the spring from the guide and push the new shortened spring (40 coils) onto the guide. Insert the assembly into the slide. Use tools to push the spring into the slide, and use a punch to hold the spring in place by sticking it through the pin hole in the slide. With the end of the spring fully behind the pin, insert the plug into the hole with the hole in the plug lined up with the hole in the frame. Push the plug back into the slide while pulling out the punch and then reinsert the punch after the plug is fully in place. Then tap the plug pin in place while the punch is being pushed out the opposite side. Capture the driving spring with the pickup spring before putting the slide back on the frame.

Note: An allen wrench or similar tool can be used as a slave pin instead of a pin punch for installing the plug.
Old 08-11-2018, 10:02 AM
US Air Force Veteran

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
" jaybar --- ...my instructions are specific to the 102-107 ( Big Button) guns. Having said that; changing the recoil spring on an HD Military is about 90% the same.
The 10% that is different mostly relate to the driving spring retaining button - id est:
**The driving spring retaining button is unidirectional ( it only fits one way). I would recommend drawing a vertical line across the front of the button and the slide face before removing the button to be used as an index reference for re-assembly.
Use a grease pencil, nail polish etc so that you will be able to line the button back up when you reassemble.
** The front of the slide usually doesn't peen in on the HD - so you can skip the steps where I talk about removing the peening. Conversely, since the slide doesn't peen closed the button will fly out the front with vigor when you withdraw your punch.
I recommend placing a sock over the front before you withdraw the punch to catch the button.
**Since you can remove and insert the retaining button without having to pound on the slide with a mallet, there is no need to remove the extractor.
** Order a standard 5.5 pound recoil spring for the Big Button guns and cut it to exactly 40 full coils to use as a replacement spring for the HD.
There are 2 ends on the spring, a small and a large. The small end should fit tightly over the spring guide rod. Cut the coils off the large end.
** Important: Make sure that before you start to disassemble that the guide rod is released from the catch and is at its full rearward position. You have to capture the guide rod with the catch before you remove the slide from the frame.
When the guide rod is captured the spring is at its full compression pressure and if you remove the retaining button with the spring compressed you'll experience a very exciting ballistic event that likely won't be contained by the aforementioned sock.
*** Equally important - make sure that before you put the slide back on the gun that you recapture the guide rod.
*** Above all else - DO NOT pull the trigger with the hammer cocked and the slide off the gun!!!!!
The hammer will fly forward, the hammer strut will fly out of the control of the mainspring plunger and you'll have a real task in trying to put it back together."
Old 08-18-2018, 08:18 AM
Nicioli

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Pardon me for my question, but what is the recoil spring button function in the HD Military as compared to the Woodsman that does not have it( a button) ?
Does the pin that hold the spring goes throught a spring coil? Is that button hollow so the spring can enter it and be captured by the pin?
Sorry but I´ll soon be changing the recoil spring of my HD and I´ve never did that.
Thanks, regards, Nicioli
Old 08-18-2018, 08:36 AM

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
plug

The driving spring plug is a short steel cylinder with a hole drilled through the side. The retaining pin fits through the hole in the plug when it is installed into the hole in the slide. The function of the plug is to act as a base and retainer for the front end of the driving spring so that it does not come out of the front of the slide. It is a bit tricky to get the driving spring pushed into the slide so that it can be held in place temporarily by a punch or similar tool. Then place the plug into the hole with the proper orientation of the hole in the side of the plug aligned with the pin hole in the slide so that the retaining pin can be installed. Follow the instructions posted previously.

Since you have never done this task before, be prepared to catch the flying plug when it pops out of the slide, if it is not controlled properly during reassembly. A towel or sock can be used to mitigate the loss of the plug.
Old 08-18-2018, 11:49 AM
Nicioli

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Thank you Wayne. Soon after I posted my question I found a vídeo explaining the removal of the recoil spring ( link below).
The only thing I didn´t understand was why he removes the spring while compressed.I´ve asked a friend of mine in Houston to order 2 springs from Wolff. Late september he ´ll bring them to me. Do I need to cut some coils?
Thanks, regards, Nicioli

https://youtu.be/uv0CjY55vyU
Old 08-18-2018, 03:15 PM

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
spring

The spring guide should be released from the pickup spring before removing the plug. It is easy to do by using a punch to push the back of the guide forward to release the pickup spring. Then allow the guide to move back while holding the punch against the back of the guide. The new spring needs to be cut to 40 coils. Do not attempt to install an uncut spring. It won't work.
Old 08-18-2018, 05:11 PM
Nicioli

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Thanks Wayne, regards, Nicioli
Old 08-20-2018, 10:05 PM
US Air Force Veteran

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nicioli View Post
... Soon after I posted my question I found a vídeo explaining the removal of the recoil spring ...
I predict that if you try to replace the driving SPRING (31-H) the way shown in the video you will have a very bad experience.

When you remove the slide from the gun the SPRING is captured compressed in the the forward compartment of the slide.
The Spring must be released before the PLUG (32H) is removed.

He failed to do this.
If you try to do this, the SPRING will cut your finger and the Plug will disappear as if by magic.
After you spend an hour crawling around the floor, you will waste additional time trying to find someplace to buy one – if you can.

To give yourself a sporting chance, you will first have to release the driving SPRING from the forward compartment.

Make a tool out of a cheap small diameter Phillips screwdriver.
Grind off the tip of the screwdriver to a dull point – essentially making an ice pick out of it.

Now push the driving ROD (30H) forward into the compartment and the SPRING will release to the rear.

An aside: Using the ice pick, you will have to recapture the driving ROD into the front compartment before you put the slide back on the gun or you will have problems.

Put a cheap folding transparent plastic sandwich bag loosely over the front of the slide holding it in place with a rubber band.

Working through the plastic bag drive out the PIN (33H) with a punch.

Hold your finger over the PLUG with something over your finger to protect it from being cut.

Now remove the punch to release the PLUG.

Typically nothing will happen!
The PLUG stays in the cavity because the slide slamming into the frame over time reduces the diameter of the hole locking the PLUG in place.

The simplest solutions is to insert a tapered punch into the hole to expand the opening.
Insert the punch, tap on it with a small hammer, rotate the punch, tap, rotate again.

Eventually when you remove the tapered punch, the PLUG and SPRING will come flying out – hopefully to be caught by the plastic bag.

Now we come to the harder part – Putting the new SPRING in.
You will not be able to do it the way the video shows.

He put the old SPRING back in which had been shortened due to long use.
The fresh new SPRING will be about 1 inch longer than the old SPRING and you will not be able to push it back into the hole.
Trying to force it in the hole will cut your fingers, probably losing the PLUG again, and possibility damaging the SPRING.
The simplest solution is make an insertion tool with these approximate dimensions.

Metal rod about 4 inches or more long.
First .8 inch of the rod is .15 inch diameter.
Next .25 inch of the rod is .21 inches diameter.
Next 3 inches not important.

This tool can be made on a lathe in a couple of minutes.
Since you may not have a lathe, you can make the tool using a drill press.

I would suggest you take a cheap 7/32 drill bit.
Heat the blunt end cherry red and allow it to cool slowly so that the metal will be soft.

Put the drill bit backwards into the drill press and reduce the diameter of the first 1.25 inches with a file to a diameter of about .21 inches.
You can check the size by inserting it into the hole of the slide.
When it fits, you are finished with step one.

Then reduce the diameter of the first .8 inch to a diameter of about .15 inches.

Now the remaining .21 inch section of the rod should fit in the hole in the slide.
And, the .15 inch section of the rod should fit inside the coils of the SPRING.
Adjust the diameters if needed until you achieve both objectives.

Next file a single flat on the .21 diameter section immediately adjacent to the .15 diameter section.
The propose of the flat is to aid in capturing the Spring.

Here is how it works.
Insert the ROD/SPRING assembly in the hole.
An inch or so of SPRING should be sticking out the front of the slide.
Insert the tool into the SPRING.
Aline the flat with the PIN hole.
Insert the SPRING using the tool.
Insert a slave pin in the PIN hole and capture the SPRING as you withdraw the tool.
With the SPRING captured by the slave pin, insert the PLUG with the PIN hole pointing straight up.
With the PLUG against the slave pin, remove the slave pin and fully push the PLUG in.
Then reinsert the slave pin.
You are now in position to insert the actual PIN at a time of your convince.

Other Issues:
There is a groove in the ROD in which the small section of the SPRING locks into.
It can be difficult sometimes to remove the old SPRING from the ROD.
You must install the small end of the SPRING first so that the small end if the SPRING locks into the groove of the ROD.
If you put the large end of the SPRING on first, there will be problems.

After the old SPRING is removed from the ROD, you must test the ROD to insure it is not bent.
Put the ROD on a drill and spin it to confirm it is straight.
There will be problems if it it not straight.

The next test is to push the ROD/SPRING assembly back and forth in the slide to see if it hang up anywhere.
Rotate it 30 degrees and try it again, etc, etc, etc, for 720 degrees.
There will be problems if it doesn't pass this test.

In fact, try this test with the old ROD/SPRING assembly before you take them apart.

When cutting the SPRING to 40 coils, smooth the end of the SPRING with a stone or diamond file if you don't want to cut up your fingers.
Old 08-21-2018, 06:46 AM
Nicioli

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Thanks moonjohn for the very detailed explanation, regards, Nicioli
Old 08-22-2018, 08:09 PM
juleslewis

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
Thanks to everyone for their expertise. I just finished replacing the recoil spring and guide rod on my HD Military. I got the spring from Numrich and the guide rod from Jack First. I fumbled around getting the stop plug in and pinned in place. Yes, it sailed around the room a few times, but I got lucky and found it each time. Not a job I want to do again.