Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 07-25-2018, 07:43 PM
Gizmo60

Ireland - Across the big pond as they say
TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
REAR BAG ADVICE PLEASE

Hi all, some advice required please.

New to 50yds BR and using an Anschutz 1810 3P thumb-hole stock; I know it’s not an ideal stock for BR due to its bottom slope but I am going to stick with it for the moment, call me stubborn, I do like original old style stocks.

Anyhow, homemade wooden front rest and Protektor No 14 rear bag, adjustments can only be done the rear bag (again not ideal) with this setup. Getting great results when the bag is located just behind the hand grip; however, when the bag is located further back on the stock, results can be anything from excellent to good to bad; bad to me is a 8 or 7.

I shoot with shoulder to stock light pressure, chin on stock medium pressure and normal hold on hand grip. I have tried “free style” with just trigger finger, rifle doesn’t like it at all (at least with current setup), I have tried every combination and the rifle definitely likes to be held and shoots best this way.

Other that getting a proper mechanical front rest (on wish list), what are your suggestions for a rear bag. Do I need something like the Original Edgewood Rear Bag which is longer and appears to have a slope similar to the 1810 stock.

All advice greatly appreciated.

Last edited by Gizmo60; 07-25-2018 at 07:44 PM. Reason: mistake
Old 07-26-2018, 12:09 PM
US Marines Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (4)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gizmo60 View Post
Hi all, some advice required please.

New to 50yds BR and using an Anschutz 1810 3P thumb-hole stock; I know it’s not an ideal stock for BR due to its bottom slope but I am going to stick with it for the moment, call me stubborn, I do like original old style stocks.

Anyhow, homemade wooden front rest and Protektor No 14 rear bag, adjustments can only be done the rear bag (again not ideal) with this setup. Getting great results when the bag is located just behind the hand grip; however, when the bag is located further back on the stock, results can be anything from excellent to good to bad; bad to me is a 8 or 7.

I shoot with shoulder to stock light pressure, chin on stock medium pressure and normal hold on hand grip. I have tried “free style” with just trigger finger, rifle doesn’t like it at all (at least with current setup), I have tried every combination and the rifle definitely likes to be held and shoots best this way.

Other that getting a proper mechanical front rest (on wish list), what are your suggestions for a rear bag. Do I need something like the Original Edgewood Rear Bag which is longer and appears to have a slope similar to the 1810 stock.

All advice greatly appreciated.
The Edgewood bag won't help your issues. I think a Protektor Deluxe Bumble Bee with the 2 1/2 inch rabbit ears would be easier to do your sighting adjustments. However, if you really want that Edgewood bag, I have one I could let you have for a good price.

Regards, Jim

Last edited by hawkeye62; 07-26-2018 at 12:12 PM.
Old 07-26-2018, 12:28 PM
Nosnil22
US Air Force Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join! Appleseed Rifleman

TPC Rating: 
100% (6)
I think I would take Jim up on his offer and get a front rest sooner rather than later.
There is a Cowan front rest for sale right now in the TPC for $200. (Not mine)
Those both would certainly be an improvement for you.

Best of luck,
Dave