Comment on the BL-22 - Page 2 - RimfireCentral.com Forums

Go Back   RimfireCentral.com Forums > >

Notices

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 07-06-2018, 11:13 PM
Happy Kaboomer

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)

I am a sucker for lever action rifles with octagon barrels both center fire and rimfire. having some of both.
I've fondled the "Evil Roy" version of the Henry and like it with 2 exceptions. The stock with evil roy carved in it and the big loop lever. If I ever get one both would have to go. The golden boys have way too much drop(droop) for me.
Old 07-06-2018, 11:48 PM
bobandc
NRA Member - Click Here To Join! GOA Member

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I have a Browning and a Winchester

I shoot the Winnie better but I love the action on the Browning. I can't say I like one much more than the other, but I like them both more than most my other .22's.
Old 07-07-2018, 06:37 AM
DON6244
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
1. 9422
2. 39a
3. BL-22
4. Henry
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-07-2018, 07:21 AM
gmd1950
US Air Force Veteran Law Enforcement Officer NRA Member - Click Here To Join! GOA Member

TPC Rating: 
100% (29)
I've only owned one 9422, a .22wmr Laminate stocked version, I own three 39's, one a 39a and two 39m's, Wife gave me a BL-22 for my birthday almost 11 years ago and I've owned 5 or 6 Henry's. I still have the Marlins, all the rest are gone with only the BL-22 staying for very long and it only because the Wife gave it to me. Guess I'm just use to the Marlins.

Basically you need to handle them and preferably shoot them for yourself to decide which works best for you. If I could have shot them all before buying them only the 39's would have been purchased. That's just me.
Old 07-07-2018, 07:34 AM
jstanfield103

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
That's what makes the world work. We all have different likes and are built different. With my short size the BL-22 just works so well for me. Just a pure joy to shoot. The Marlins were probably the least joy to shoot that I have had experience with.

Don that seems to be the way most people rate them, so you can't disagree with the population. I enjoy reading the reason's why we all rate them different or the same. Thanks for all the comments
Old 07-07-2018, 08:59 AM
Toomany22s

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Here’s the issue?

Browning is still made , Winchester not still made , Marlin not still made, Henry still made.

I like all 4, but browning Marlin and Winchester are all heavy guns , I like light guns , so for me my Henry H001Y, is the funnist of them all, quick to point , aim shoot , repeat. The others are good , but with that much weight , I like a bigger caliber.
But I wouldn’t kick anyone of them out of the safe for eating crackers.
Old 07-07-2018, 10:43 AM
jstanfield103

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
Gerald,
Shure can't fault you're choice. The Marlins are very well made. Probably the reason and the biggest reason for me on the Marlins were due to the length of pull and me not wanting to cut a JM down to my size. I have cut the others down except my BL-22 Micro Midas. The JM Marlins I did not want to do at that time. But I believe the age and state I am in on my guns that I will be looking for a Winchester and Marlin and be cutting them both down. Scarce or not, I enjoy shooting my 22's and will not own a gun that is not shot. My length of pull comfortably is 11.5" to 12 ".

ToMany22's the weight I find is easier because I put slings on all my lever guns. Helps secure them to my shoulder and steady my aim as I shoot them. Love a sling on a lever action even if most people think it is a sin.
Old 07-09-2018, 08:59 AM
chicharrones

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toomany22s View Post
Browning is still made , Winchester not still made , Marlin not still made, Henry still made.

I like all 4, but browning Marlin and Winchester are all heavy guns , I like light guns , so for me my Henry H001Y, is the funnist of them all, quick to point , aim shoot , repeat. The others are good , but with that much weight , I like a bigger caliber.
But I wouldn’t kick anyone of them out of the safe for eating crackers.

The Brownings are light. If you compare the weight of the H001Y (youth) 4.5 lbs. versus the Micro Midas Browning (youth) 4.75 lbs., the difference is only 4 ounces.

The weights are close in the adult sized Brownings as well, with the 20" round barrel versions in at 5.0 lbs. Compare that to a 18.75" round barrel Henry at 5.25 lbs.
Old 07-12-2018, 03:13 AM
rjf415

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I find it interesting that many think that the Browning BL-22 has an all steel receiver. Please look at the BL-22 schematic (see link below) and you'll discover that the BL-22 has a steel cover that goes over an aluminum frame (part #31). Almost constructed like a Henry, just saying.

Browning BL-22 Schematic Link: http://www.browning.com/content/dam/...-432-bl-22.pdf
Old 07-12-2018, 08:55 AM
chicharrones

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by rjf415 View Post
I find it interesting that many think that the Browning BL-22 has an all steel receiver. Please look at the BL-22 schematic (see link below) and you'll discover that the BL-22 has a steel cover that goes over an aluminum frame (part #31). Almost constructed like a Henry, just saying.

Browning BL-22 Schematic Link: http://www.browning.com/content/dam/...-432-bl-22.pdf

Sort of, but different in that the Browning's steel "cover" is actually the serial numbered receiver and the barrel of the Browning mounts to that receiver.

In the Henry, the barrel does not mount to the cover because the inner frame of the Henry is the receiver.

https://www.gunpartscorp.com/gun-man...nry-lever-h001

I'd say the Browning receiver/frame layout is closer to the Winchester 9422 than to the Henry due to the barrel mounting.

https://www.gunpartscorp.com/gun-man...2-series/94-22
Old 07-12-2018, 12:10 PM
M2HB

TPC Rating: 
100% (4)
The Henry is a good value. The others have more expensive materials used in them.

There is a big difference between high grade aluminum and Zamak.

The BL-22 has steel and aluminum. I don’t know what grade aluminum is in the BL-22, but I wouldn’t be surprised if it is 7075-T6.

Last edited by M2HB; 07-12-2018 at 12:26 PM.
Old 07-13-2018, 04:29 AM
BWstickman

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
I have a Marlin 39 and a Henry Small Game rifle... the marlin is way more accurate... I like ke the Henry fun to shoot... Marlin all the way!!! I may get a browning lever action one day
Old 07-13-2018, 06:18 AM
jstanfield103

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
BWstickman,

If you ever get a Browning you may or may not like the 33 degree throw on the lever. Me I Love it. Another thing that stands out on the Browning's is the Magazine tube and the way they operate. You do not have to twist a pin from the slot as with all the other magazine tubes. Browning has a button that you push and the tube separates and when done filling just push the tube back in until you hear the click. No slot or hook to find. Not knocking the others because they are good also and have worked for years. But the Browning's is really nice and convenient.
Old 07-13-2018, 07:46 AM
gmd1950
US Air Force Veteran Law Enforcement Officer NRA Member - Click Here To Join! GOA Member

TPC Rating: 
100% (29)
The short lever throw is one of the best features of the BL-22, however the trigger pull and accuracy of mine fell short. May have been a Monday morning or late Friday afternoon gun.
Old 07-13-2018, 10:24 AM
jstanfield103

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
gmd1950,
Everything that I read say's that they are not the most pin point accurate. Mine is more than accurate for me though. Tin cans, steel plates and anything like that it just eats them up. Love them.