Notices

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 04-26-2018, 06:02 PM
noshow
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (12)
Winchester 22WMR Subsonic Now & Then

Hey guys, when this loading became available in the US, I bought one box to experiment with and so far have not. I recently bought four more boxes and plan to test them this Spring. My first box states a velocity of 1060, but the four latest states a velocity of 1065. No big deal by any standards, but does anyone have an explanation? I have great expectations for this loading from a revolver
Old 04-26-2018, 09:03 PM
rjferber
US Army Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (2)
I do not recall seeing any of this locally, however I can't say I was specifically looking for it either. I will be interested in your testing results and I will pay more attention and probably pickup a box myself for testing in my 22 WMR's.
Old 04-27-2018, 05:09 AM
noshow

TPC Rating: 
100% (12)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ms6852 View Post
Not trying to be a smart*****, but wouldn't that become just another 22lr?
That's pretty much what it is
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-28-2018, 12:00 PM
rc.

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Not my cup of tea

I don't have any use for it. As others have stated it's a 22LR loading in a WMR case. That means the powder density will not be optimum for accuracy and I bet the standard deviation will be much higher than for subsonic 22 LR. and accuracy worse. Likely there will be position sensitivity as well changing performance by how you hold your gun unless they use filler or a large inefficient powder like trail boss. In testing I did years ago, CCI target Short at 850fps was WAY BETTER than the CB short at 650 with no audible difference (too me) in the sound signature. Why? Well I believe because the load density was better in the 22 short target than the CB round. I also found the CCI CB short was more consistent than the CB long rated at the same speed. So again, I have my doubts this new 22 magnum subsonic round will take off like a house afire in the U.S. I think the places it will be most useful is in countries where you have to get a permit for each firearm. Here, I can have the 880SS for standard velocity missions and the 882SS to shoot full power magnum ammunition with a dedicated scope set up for each round. The sight adjustment alone would make switching back and forth between this and the magnum round impractical at all but the shortest of distance with open sights. Ok, done ranting for now. rc
Old 04-28-2018, 05:02 PM
skippy4570

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Not sure about the change in velocity listing. All the boxes I have say 1060 fps. The accuracy though does tend to change depending on how much I'm shooting and what box I'm using. Curious to see your results.
Old 04-29-2018, 12:40 PM
glennasher

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Since I have a bunch of .22LR and only one WMR, I can't see a real purpose for this stuff. It sure defeats the purpose of having a "Magnum" rifle.

I guess there are some folks who only own one rifle, but that sure seems like a dull, boring life to me, and I refuse to think about such things. It goes against everything I believe in.
Old 04-30-2018, 12:36 AM
917M2Sfan

TPC Rating: 
100% (5)
Isn't this ammo being made for the guys who need a suppressor hanging on the end of their rifle barrel in order to feel whole?
Old 04-30-2018, 01:51 AM
OUToftheWOODS

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
That's bizarre that the posted velocity has changed. I've only seen and bought the 1060 fps stuff

I do like it.
Old 04-30-2018, 08:52 PM
rjferber

TPC Rating: 
100% (2)
FYI and/or for what is is worth.

I found and picked up a box @ LGS . . . I was doing additional work with my CZ 455 Varmint today and shot 10 rounds after I was done with all my other ammo testing. The round is definitely quieter ( more along the line of a 22 LR ). Using the same Aiming Point on the target I had been using for my other 22 WMR ammo (1875-2200 fps) testing . . . the Point Of Impact was 4.5" lower measuring CTC on the groups and the group itself measured about .75".

This may be a good round for those who have threaded barrels, a suppressor, and desire to be on the stealthy side. The bullet does at least clear the barrel and hit the target

I do not see any requirement for it in my hunting or target shooting efforts.
Old 05-03-2018, 10:54 PM
grg
US Army Disabled American Veteran

TPC Rating: 
100% (6)
I have been grabbing up some 22mag ammo lately to see what works best in my SA 141M and Marlin 883. Picked up a box of the Winchester 1060fps stuff and a box of the Federal 50 gr to shoot along with all the other flavors. So far my 883 likes the Hornady 30gr and my 141m likes old Winchester 40gr and CCI Maxi Mag 40 grain stuff. It will be interesting to see how they like the 2 new flavors.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20180503_201427.jpg (472.0 KB, 3 views)
Old 05-04-2018, 01:23 AM
rc.

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
WRF anyone?

You know, for what it is, Winchester could have brought this out as a 22wrf length case and picked up customers who can't find ammo for their old shooters as well as 22 magnum shooters. Just a thought Winchester if you are listening. You'd sell a lot more of these if they could work in the antiques too. The CCI load for 22 WRF if available at 1300fps and a round like this this with proper case would give those shooters an alternative.

https://www.midwayusa.com/product/13...d-hollow-point
Old 05-04-2018, 06:17 AM

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by rc. View Post
You know, for what it is, Winchester could have brought this out as a 22wrf length case and picked up customers who can't find ammo for their old shooters as well as 22 magnum shooters. Just a thought Winchester if you are listening. You'd sell a lot more of these if they could work in the antiques too. The CCI load for 22 WRF if available at 1300fps and a round like this this with proper case would give those shooters an alternative.

https://www.midwayusa.com/product/13...d-hollow-point
This sounds promising. I dont know, but; it would sure help if the boxes were clearly labelled as a dual chamber loading. And follow up with a full English language sentence or two on the back regarding the ctg length and interchangeability.