Notices

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 03-29-2018, 08:42 PM
heavyduty
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (2)
Handled a Browning 1911-22 tonight, now I want one

I like having a few plinkers around for fun shooting. A M&P .22 Compact has been my main one for a few years now, but I also have a .22 conversion for my SIG P220.

Iíve thought about getting a rimfire conversion for my 1911 or for one of my Glocks, but to be honest most conversions disappoint me. The only reason I enjoy shooting my P220 is that I use a replacement mag that offers slide stop on empty.

The 1911-22 is adorable, and even better it functions like a ďrealĒ gun with proper slide lock on empty like the M&P. What Iíve been reading about them has been favorable. Iím surprised to not find much discussion here when I search, though.

I think I need one of these.

Edit - thread title to clarify Iím talking about the Browning, not .22 1911s in general

Last edited by heavyduty; 04-11-2018 at 08:50 AM.
Old 03-29-2018, 09:05 PM
Richlit

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
They are fun guns. Do yourself a favor and get a model with good sights. The military clone sights are too small to see. Mine has the three dot sights, very easy to see. It is not a target gun, but shoots well and is great for walking in the woods.
Old 03-29-2018, 09:16 PM
heavyduty

TPC Rating: 
100% (2)
I did handle a 1911A1 version, and I agree - the sights were horrible.

Iím looking at one of the ďmodernĒ ones with extended controls and the fixed sights that look like what Kimber uses. They didnít have one of the .22s like that, but I did handle one of the 1911-380s. Thereís a all black Shot Show special Iíve taken a shine to.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-30-2018, 12:49 PM
Badlandsboy

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I have several of the 1911-22 , the first one is A1 first model ,but I address the sight issue by widening the rear slot which help immensely. Later I bought a Black Label with the 3 dot sights on them. I do like those sights much better than the original sights on the A1. Both pistol work flawlessly with every type of ammo I have ever run through them. I have several other 22 pistols to choose from , Walther , S&W M&P, Ruger 22/45 lite Sig trailside and each has its attributes but it is the Browning 1911-22 that I take every time I head out to do some fun plinking .
Old 04-04-2018, 08:31 AM
bob finger

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
A 1911 lower properly sprung with a Nelson Conversion upper is one of the better .22 rimfire pistols available today. If you already own a lower then the expense is less than for a complete pistol. Worth a look. bob
Old 04-04-2018, 11:44 AM
heavyduty

TPC Rating: 
100% (2)
Bob, Iíll look at that option, too. My experience with rimfire 1911s was pretty awful, I had an old Colt Ace back in the 80s and was glad to see it go, but friends with the Kimber conversions seem happy.

But, even if I do that Iím still inclined to get one of the baby Brownings.
Old 04-08-2018, 09:51 AM
RH45

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
several years ago, a friend bought a Sig, which is really a GSG, but, I really liked the yellow, 3 dot sights it has on it.
If I could find one, at a good price, I'd probably buy it.
My "go to" .22 pistols are Marvel 1 conversions, that, with ammo they like will shoot groups under an inch at 75 yards.
I really like the looks of the baby Brownings, but, the sights suck.
Old 04-08-2018, 10:20 AM
Independence
Appleseed Rifleman

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I had a Walther PPQ 22 that I loved the construction, controls, ergonomics, magazines of, however, the accuracy was as bad as the pistol was good. 6" groups at 12yd from a rest was about 5" unacceptable. Had to send it down the road.
I compete with 1911's and would like to find a high quality 1911-22. I'm not a big Kimber fan but I hear those a pretty good?
Old 04-08-2018, 10:22 AM
heavyduty

TPC Rating: 
100% (2)
Quote:
Originally Posted by RH45 View Post
several years ago, a friend bought a Sig, which is really a GSG, but, I really liked the yellow, 3 dot sights it has on it.
My "go to" .22 pistols are Marvel 1 conversions, that, with ammo they like will shoot groups under an inch at 75 yards.
I’ll probably end up with a dedicated 1911 at some point, too.

I agree the sights on the Browning A1s are awful, but the “modern” three dots on the one I’m considering are light years better. There seem to be three sight sets Browning uses: the little bitty A1 type, a slightly larger one and a modern three dot that looks like a Kimber from the side.

This is the version I want:

http://www.browning.com/products/fir...Full-Size.html

Old 04-08-2018, 03:28 PM
bluzman

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by RH45 View Post
I have a GSG 1911-22 in which I've installed a CW Accessories Performance Package. It's a fun, accurate shooter that isn't finicky about ammo. I looked at the Browning before I got the GSG and concluded that I just didn't want to spend that much. YMMV
Old 04-10-2018, 04:16 AM
hamden

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
Guns like these are used at the Master level. Not by me any more though.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Nelson and AA 1.JPG (418.7 KB, 21 views)
Old 04-10-2018, 05:15 AM
fourbore

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I also handled one in LGS and liked the gun. I like everything 1911, so; I maybe an easy sell. I did not buy it. Not yet. I was able to find some good information here on RFC. Try google to do the RFC search, it is much more effective than the forum search.

The trigger is not so good, per RFC posting. No one offered any upgrade solution, that I found. There was a you tube that mentioned wear. It seemed minor. I am a std vel kind of guy. I did not or dont recall any serious accuracy testing. Some one might speak to that. Maybe I just forgot.
Old 04-10-2018, 11:53 PM
heavyduty

TPC Rating: 
100% (2)
I went ahead and prepaid for a guaranteed preorder on the one I pictured above - the dealer worked with Browning to assure I was allocated one, apparently only 200 of this variation are being made. Iím guessing early autumn...
Old 04-11-2018, 08:25 AM
apipeguy
Law Enforcement Officer NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Iíve had a GSG 1911 since they came out. I have replaced almost everything with parts from CW Accessories. The GSG is a great plate table gun but not a bullseye gun. Was still not quite what I wanted and built a dedicated frame and ordered a Nelson Conversion. Very, very happy with this. Had a Advantage Arms Target model years ago and that was very nice but not as good as the Nelson. May still drill out the sear pin holes on the GSG, so I can fit a real sear into it.

Conversions are nice but having one with a dedicated frame is even better.
Old 04-11-2018, 08:49 AM
heavyduty

TPC Rating: 
100% (2)
This Browning is going to be a plinker, but Iím tempted by the Nelson conversion for my 1911, too - I suspect itís quite a bit more accurate than the Kimber conversion. Does it lock the slide back on empty?