A Couple Questions - CZ 527 Set Trigger; CZ vs. Savage in .223 - RimfireCentral.com Forums

Go Back   RimfireCentral.com Forums > > >

Notices

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 03-28-2018, 09:53 AM
vet6771's Avatar
vet6771
US Air Force Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

Join Date: 
Dec 2015
Location: 
Delaware
Posts: 
391
TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
A Couple Questions - CZ 527 Set Trigger; CZ vs. Savage in .223



Log in to see fewer ads
I'm considering a .223 rem bolt action rifle for informal target shooting probably at 100 yds. I've never owned a CZ before (am I allowed to say that on here?) and have been looking at the CZ 527 Varmint. Never had a set trigger and was wondering if anyone had any comments on the 527's set trigger for target shooting. I also have looked at the Savage 110 Varmint, online only so far just specs. My only serious competitive shooting was 30 years worth of smallbore matches and that ended around 25 years ago or so. Now I shoot against myself for fun; I don't re-load and don't have a huge budget. Both the 527 and 110 are in my price range. I have an inexpensive Bushnell AR scope that I thought I might use to just get started and then decide how deep into my pockets I need to go for a casual target shooting scope. I apologize if I'm asking the same thing as previously posted, but many of you guys are much more serious competitors than I am and I think I'm looking at the questions from a more "casual" approach. Thanks in advance for any advice/suggestions/warnings etc., that you might offer.
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 03-28-2018, 10:10 AM
trout48
US Army Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

Join Date: 
Apr 2013
Location: 
phila
Posts: 
304
TPC Rating: 
100% (10)
I would take the cz but you might also look at the Howa Varmint it would also be in your price range. I have both and the Howa will shoot with the cz.
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 03-28-2018, 11:09 AM
B23
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

Join Date: 
Feb 2008
Location: 
PNW
Posts: 
1,352
TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
It's a personal thing but I'm not a big fan of the set trigger in the CZ 527's. If I'm shooting for groups I want to move the gun as little as possible and "setting" the trigger on these makes me move the gun more than I like to. I've got all my triggers adjusted down to between 8-10 ounces on my 527's and I don't even bother messing with setting the trigger. With a $2 spring change from James Calhoon, the triggers in these 527's can easily be adjusted down to about as little as you want.
Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
  #4  
Old 03-28-2018, 11:17 AM
doubs43
US Air Force Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

Join Date: 
Apr 2008
Location: 
Middle GA, USA
Posts: 
5,100
TPC Rating: 
100% (2)
Quote:
Originally Posted by B23 View Post
It's a personal thing but I'm not a big fan of the set trigger in the CZ 527's. If I'm shooting for groups I want to move the gun as little as possible and "setting" the trigger on these makes me move the gun more than I like to. I've got all my triggers adjusted down to between 8-10 ounces on my 527's and I don't even bother messing with setting the trigger. With a $2 spring change from James Calhoon, the triggers in these 527's can easily be adjusted down to about as little as you want.


While using the set trigger isn't a problem from the bench for me, the standard trigger can be adjusted for a light, crisp breaking let off that pretty much makes the set trigger unnecessary. While I didn't change the spring on mine, I was able to get a 2# trigger easily enough. Change the spring and, as B23 says, you can get into the ounces.

For bench target shooting I'd go with the CZ-527 Thumbhole Varmint or the Euro-Varmint if a traditional stock is more to your liking.
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 03-28-2018, 12:14 PM
vet6771's Avatar
vet6771
US Air Force Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

Join Date: 
Dec 2015
Location: 
Delaware
Posts: 
391
TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by doubs43 View Post


While using the set trigger isn't a problem from the bench for me, the standard trigger can be adjusted for a light, crisp breaking let off that pretty much makes the set trigger unnecessary. While I didn't change the spring on mine, I was able to get a 2# trigger easily enough. Change the spring and, as B23 says, you can get into the ounces.

For bench target shooting I'd go with the CZ-527 Thumbhole Varmint or the Euro-Varmint if a traditional stock is more to your liking.
Thanks for the info. I am interested in purchasing a new rifle so I guess the thumbhole Varmint is not an option. What is the difference between the Euro Varmint and the Varmint? I think I read somewhere that the Euro was a 1:12 twist and the Varmint was a 1:9. Not being a re-loader and limited to off the shelf ammo, would either the 1:12 or 1:9 offer any advantages/disadvantages for shooting at 100 yard targets?
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 03-28-2018, 02:29 PM
SavagePlinker

Join Date: 
Sep 2015
Posts: 
2,148
TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by vet6771 View Post
Thanks for the info. I am interested in purchasing a new rifle so I guess the thumbhole Varmint is not an option. What is the difference between the Euro Varmint and the Varmint? I think I read somewhere that the Euro was a 1:12 twist and the Varmint was a 1:9. Not being a re-loader and limited to off the shelf ammo, would either the 1:12 or 1:9 offer any advantages/disadvantages for shooting at 100 yard targets?
What twist you want depends on what weight bullets you want to shoot. I like lighter bullets so want more twist.

I at times hunt with my 527s so I don't want the regular trigger set super-light, therefore the set trigger option is perfect for me. I have found the adjustment screw for the set "walks" a bit over time from recoil, so I purple-Loc-Tited them all. Problem solved.

There are lots of nice rifles out there but I look to 527s first. If they don't make what I want only then would I buy something else.
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 03-28-2018, 02:44 PM
fourbore
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

Join Date: 
Jun 2014
Location: 
NewEngland,USA
Posts: 
4,466
TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
All 223 in the cz 527 are now 1:9 twist.

The euro varmint has a very nice walnut stock. That is Europe as opposed to "you know where" in PLASTIC.

A significant difference between the Howa, CZ and Savage is cosmetic. You have to look at that yourself. The cz is very old school right down to the steel single stack magazine and true Mauser action. If the OP taste favors plastic, I suggest a look at Tikka T3 Varmint. It is in the same price range and has the accuracy reputation. I dont have a Tikka but; I do believe thay are well made for the price.

The CZ and Howa use a small receiver that is sized exactly for the 223 size round and no larger. (I think Tikka also builds an micro action specifically for the 223, not sure) That is a certain elegance and holds down the weight in the carbine and light rifle models. In the varmint models it is not important.

I have no Howa experience and even with both savage and cz I dont have a sample of 100 each to form a valid statistical basis for an accuracy comparison. My feeling is the accuracy goes to cz. As a non re-loader of 223, I had no problem finding loads that would group 5 shots in 1/2 inch at 100 yards. My savage is about or almost double that with the same factory loads and minimal efforts.

The machining and finish of the cz is much better and I think the extra price may reflect that.

The cz set trigger is far better than any savage. That is out of the box, no parts swapping or gunsmith tricks.

I forgot to mention: The cz varmint comes with a good set of CZ steel high rings that are perfect for a 6-18x40 scope.

Last edited by fourbore; 03-28-2018 at 03:02 PM. Reason: Tikka
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 03-28-2018, 02:45 PM
doubs43
US Air Force Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

Join Date: 
Apr 2008
Location: 
Middle GA, USA
Posts: 
5,100
TPC Rating: 
100% (2)
Quote:
Originally Posted by vet6771 View Post
Thanks for the info. I am interested in purchasing a new rifle so I guess the thumbhole Varmint is not an option. What is the difference between the Euro Varmint and the Varmint? I think I read somewhere that the Euro was a 1:12 twist and the Varmint was a 1:9. Not being a re-loader and limited to off the shelf ammo, would either the 1:12 or 1:9 offer any advantages/disadvantages for shooting at 100 yard targets?
The CZ-527 thumbhole Varmint is alive and well NEW. I've done business with both companies and have been quite satisfied with their service.

https://www.budsgunshop.com/catalog/...TE+1%3A9+TWIST

https://www.wholesalehunter.com/Prod.../11195110?fs=1

WRT the 1:12 vs 1:9 twist, I prefer the 1:9 because it generally shoots the 62 grain & heavier bullets more accurately. Depending upon the individual rifle, the 55 and 53 grain bullets may also shoot accurately in a 1:9 twist. The 1:12 twist generally works better with 55 grain and under weight bullets.
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 03-28-2018, 03:00 PM
Signalman's Avatar
Signalman

Moderator
Join Date: 
Jan 2012
Location: 
On the Westside
Posts: 
10,880
TPC Rating: 
100% (12)
Sir I don't see the set trigger as a bad thing I like the fact that is is there if I want to use it. It saves me money if I wanted a rifle with a set trigger. I have used mine on sighting some of my 527s rifles in...but the regular trigger is just fine for me.

if your bench shooting the varmint model would be the one I would get.

I just got a 527 Varmint model and have not shot it yet...or had time to get a 527 family picture. but here are what I own so far.

front to back: 17 Hornet, 22 Hornet, 222 Rem and my Royal in 223


and my latest CZ 527 Varmint rifle in 222



As far as I know the difference between the Euro and a std Varmint was the barrel length...25.5 vs 24". the barrel twist only allow you to use heavier bullets with the 1 in 9 twist...the 223 has been 1 in 12 twist for years. That is a personal decision.

I hope this helps.

Signalman
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 03-28-2018, 03:45 PM
fourbore
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

Join Date: 
Jun 2014
Location: 
NewEngland,USA
Posts: 
4,466
TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I also prefer 1:12 for an actual varmint gun and that would include the popular loads often shot on paper at 100 yards the OP mentioned. Both my 223/cz are 1:12 and both are for small game (dare I say varmint) hunting. I have other fast twist for other purpose. I like heavy for caliber (fast spinning) bullets in 6.5

The thing of it is, faster/slower is not always better, big or small bore. Barrel selection is a game of just right.

I am 99% you will not have a choice in any cz in223. They are all 1:9 so live with that or move on. And 1:9 is a very fair compromise, I just got lucky and got mine before.

I did see both Tikka and Sako offer various twist rares, but they may not be imported to the USA. The american gun buyer maybe a little less sophisticated in twist selection so the importer makes the decision for us. Sarcasm, maybe - to be honest, the internet guru and me dont always see eye to eye.

Last edited by fourbore; 03-28-2018 at 03:48 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old 03-28-2018, 04:39 PM
vet6771's Avatar
vet6771
US Air Force Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

Join Date: 
Dec 2015
Location: 
Delaware
Posts: 
391
TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Thanks all for the valuable information, comments, suggestions and photos. I've learned quite a bit and have a lot to mull over. I know a lot of what I asked is matter of opinion and personal taste, but hearing from folks with actual experience with specific setups adds a lot to the decision making process.
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 03-28-2018, 04:57 PM
Signalman's Avatar
Signalman

Moderator
Join Date: 
Jan 2012
Location: 
On the Westside
Posts: 
10,880
TPC Rating: 
100% (12)
Quote:
Originally Posted by fourbore View Post
I also prefer 1:12 for an actual varmint gun and that would include the popular loads often shot on paper at 100 yards the OP mentioned. Both my 223/cz are 1:12 and both are for small game (dare I say varmint) hunting. I have other fast twist for other purpose. I like heavy for caliber (fast spinning) bullets in 6.5

The thing of it is, faster/slower is not always better, big or small bore. Barrel selection is a game of just right.

I am 99% you will not have a choice in any cz in223. They are all 1:9 so live with that or move on. And 1:9 is a very fair compromise, I just got lucky and got mine before.

I did see both Tikka and Sako offer various twist rares, but they may not be imported to the USA. The american gun buyer maybe a little less sophisticated in twist selection so the importer makes the decision for us. Sarcasm, maybe - to be honest, the internet guru and me dont always see eye to eye.
Fourbore sir I agree with what you said it all depends on when the rifle was built...my brand new to me CZ 527 Royal is 1:12 twist...it all depends on if he gets the Euro or not. All the new ones are 1:9.

SM
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 03-28-2018, 05:23 PM
DInghram
US Navy Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

Join Date: 
Jun 2017
Location: 
Kansas
Posts: 
665
TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
I have a 527 Hornet in a full stock and a Savage 16 in .223. I also have another rifle that has double sets. I really like the option of using a set trigger when shooting from a bench. Out in the field, I never notice what kind of trigger they are when unset. My main objection with the Savage is not so much the stock, but the recoil pad. Yesterday, I ordered a replacement from Limbsaver, so I hope that takes care of that eye sore. The rifle itself shoots just fine with my handloads, I rarely shoot factory ammunition. If you could inspect and handle both of my rifles, I`m sure you would choose the CZ, and that is what I would recommend.
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 03-28-2018, 09:49 PM
flangster

Join Date: 
Feb 2013
Posts: 
4,099
TPC Rating: 
100% (33)
I like the CZ set trigger. I also like the Savage target trigger (the one with the red center blade). I prefer the set trigger to the standard Savage Accutrigger. But these things are personal. I think you should try to get to a sporting goods store, try 'em and see what you think.
__________________
============
n00by is now flangster on RFC -- still a newbie though
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old 03-30-2018, 04:33 PM
bluzman's Avatar
bluzman

Join Date: 
Dec 2015
Posts: 
392
TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
The CZ set trigger is an interesting feature. I have a CZ 527 Carbine and when I first got it, I tried the set trigger. It worked as advertised. That said, I'm quite pleased with the pull weight, action and resulting MOA accuracy of the normal configuration. YMMV
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off




All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:13 PM.

Privacy Policy

DMCA Notice

Powered by vBulletin
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Search Engine Optimisation provided by DragonByte SEO (Lite) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2019 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
vBulletin Security provided by vBSecurity v2.2.2 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2019 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
vBulletin Optimisation provided by vB Optimise (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2019 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
Copyright 2000-2018 RimfireCentral.com
x