Quest to shoot a 250 on the GM - Page 5 - RimfireCentral.com Forums

Go Back   RimfireCentral.com Forums > >

Notices

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 10-10-2017, 05:34 PM

TPC Rating: 
100% (11)

Shot a 246-9X today with one of my 10/22’s Not exactly a SS unless I were to swap stocks . This one was wearing a B&C Anschutz stock , but the action would drop into one of my DSP stocks that’s had the barrel channel slightly opened up . Has a 17” SS HT G Mt. barrel , Kidd drop in trigger and a Sightron scope at 12X . Used SK+ . The four points I dropped were me . I really hated that 8 on the second row . Brain fart ! The other two points were close . Kirby
Edit : I forgot to mention this is at 25 yards , which is where I chose to begin my quest .

Last edited by kirby999; 10-14-2017 at 12:27 PM.
Old 10-12-2017, 11:12 PM
fdmcmu
US Army Veteran

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Hey Kirby.

You have been with the forum a lot longer than I have. So you should know by now to expect this kind of scrutiny from this group. Do like I did and teach someone you know how to score by the rules for the target your shooting. Including the proper plug. Let them score your targets using their results as a base line. You know as well as I do,when you score your own targets you'll tend not to be objective all the time,especially on close calls. That way when you post photos you can always say,hey I didn't score it. And make sure your scorers/judge knows this. This works best for me. Similar to getting the same results at your shooting range matches.
Old 10-14-2017, 11:55 AM
Vincent
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (3)
Quote:
Originally Posted by fdmcmu View Post
You have been with the forum a lot longer than I have. So you should know by now to expect this kind of scrutiny from this group. Do like I did and teach someone you know how to score by the rules for the target your shooting. Including the proper plug. Let them score your targets using their results as a base line. You know as well as I do,when you score your own targets you'll tend not to be objective all the time,especially on close calls. That way when you post photos you can always say,hey I didn't score it. And make sure your scorers/judge knows this. This works best for me. Similar to getting the same results at your shooting range matches.
Targets like his are not out of line for a good SuperStock. I shot a couple like this with a bone stock T/C Classic that was used to match our early SuperStock efforts against. That Classic beat all the bolt actions in Sporter Bone Stock class except one which beat me every month that year. It was a very accurate CZ 452 American. The 2 of us beat a bunch of fancy bolt actions.

My problem with posting the target here is the shooter says it is not in a legal SuperStock stock. W/O seeing the stock I do not know what he means but if it is not a legal SuperStock why post it here? Maybe the stock is legal?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SzOn6GqNFdk
Old 10-14-2017, 12:25 PM

TPC Rating: 
100% (11)
Vincent , the stock is a B&C Anschutz stock . I sometimes swap the actions of my DSP’s with other stocks , such as the B&C and other Boyd’s stocks .
I guess I need to start another thread somewhere else when I use a rifle that’s questionable, because my quest to shot a 250 on the GM is with whatever rifle I take that day I’m shooting the Green Monster .

I’ll continue to score my own targets . When I have one that’s close , I ask my brother’s opinion. I score best edge and I believe that means it only has to touch the line of higher score . I looked over my target and didn’t see anything wrong with it . Don’t see how someone , looking at a photo of my original target would be able to score it better than someone with the original target .
Since I’m only shooting this for my pleasure , I don’t see where there would be a problem if I were to miss one . If you’re accusing me of cheating , who am I cheating on ? It’s just me , my rifle , and my target against me .
Kirby

Last edited by kirby999; 10-14-2017 at 12:48 PM.
Old 10-17-2017, 01:36 PM
Vincent

TPC Rating: 
100% (3)
Best edge is exactly how that target is suppossed to be scored so you are right on and in SuperStock we HAVE always taken the word of the shooter except one time when Ricochet busted a young kid that went from not being able to hit more than the target to a very tight 1/4" Game target over night. Even then I asked Ricochet to back off unless he was sure and as it turned out he was right. Other than that one time we at SuperStock have NEVER questioned if someone was cheating.

My post was in response to [B]fdmcmu[/] and I was supporting you kirby999!!

As far as I see your target is legit. My only concern was if you were within SuperStock rules with the stock and you brought that up, not me. Your stock may very well be legal but I have never seen it so I can not say.

Great shooting.

Last edited by Vincent; 10-17-2017 at 02:55 PM.
Old 10-17-2017, 02:52 PM
Vincent

TPC Rating: 
100% (3)
Mr fdmcmu you are obviously not familiar with how things are done in SuperStock. Our shooters are trusted members and if they say a target scores a certain way than that is how it scores. In over 10 years of games here we have found exactly ONE cheater. ONE. Even then it was just a young kid that wanted badly to belong to a group of shooters that were doing amazing things at that time. If you want to question the honesty of aRFC member in another forum that is your business and that of the Moderator in THAT forum.

In SuperStock, SuperSport and in SuperStock Boltaction this how we do it. We trust the honesty of our members to do the right thing. This is for fun. We are not competing in most games any way so to cheat you would only be cheating yourself.

If you have a rifle that is legal for any of these 3 forums please feel welcome to post it here and to play our games. If you do not have rifle that fits any where in these 3 forums please fell welcome to post here any time as we do not require that you have a rifle here.

I also understand that other forums/matches may require a second person to score. When I shot the BOX STOCK class in RFC matches it was done the same way we do it here.....you score your own target and you are trusted to have done it legally and honestly. Your opinion is welcome here buit you obviously are new to how we do things so I HOIPE this helped you.

Please feel welcomed here any time.

Old 10-19-2017, 04:09 PM

TPC Rating: 
100% (11)
Had a bad day at the WMA range today and never got to finish a Target with my Ruger .
The WMA has a hunt this weekend and the range was full of idiots. I would barely get a row shot and someone would call the range cold to check or put out a target . Had one guy with a muzzleloader that would shoot one shot and would want to walk downrange to check his target and put a paster over his last shot . .
Before the crowd arrived I was able to shoot two cards with my CZ Varmint . Scores posted in the CZ section . No, I didnít shoot a 250 with the CZ .
Hopefully one day next week I can get a card shot with a 10/22 and a picture of my rifle . Kirby
Old 10-19-2017, 05:03 PM
DInghram
US Navy Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
Hi Kirby, That situation is so frustrating! People just blasting away with their AK`s and 9mm`s, unable to hit a 4 ft X 4 ft target at 7 yards, literally. Getting beaned repeatedly by hot brass out of something! Hard to concentrate on actual shooting. I wait until the blasters have come and gone. Good luck on that 250, I`m down until spring following surgery on my hand.
David
Old 10-19-2017, 09:40 PM
langenc
US Army Veteran

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Next month not a good time to go to the range..
Old 10-19-2017, 10:59 PM

TPC Rating: 
100% (11)
Quote:
Originally Posted by langenc View Post
Next month not a good time to go to the range..
Our firearms season actually starts this Saturday, so if I go the first of the week I can avoid most of the hunters . Kirby
Old 10-25-2017, 06:53 PM
cznut

TPC Rating: 
100% (103)
Kirby your shooting good enough scores that you will shoot a 250. Shooting a 250 is very difficult, moving from bull to bull is the kicker here. Sometimes I think if you start at the bottom of the target and go up the point of impact goes up due to the pitch of the gun, just theory but I have seen it happen more than once I have even held lower when I noticed that happening and shot better scores as a result. Good luck I hope you nail that 250 soon
Old 09-22-2018, 08:13 PM

TPC Rating: 
100% (11)
I been shooting in the CZ monthly 25 yard matches which are restricted to stock CZís and Iíve been missing my other rifles .
So I hope to be returning to my Rugers in my quest for that 250 on the Green Monster .
Kirby
Old 09-22-2018, 09:27 PM
DInghram
US Navy Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
Shooting a 250 with modest equipment and mid-priced ammo is more difficult than most people think. Going along with 248`s, 49`s and then that magical 250. Just when you think you got it down pat, a 245 will bite you in the rear. About a month ago I shot a 249/16X with my Kidd SG and a Leupold VXII 4-12AO. The RO was really pumped when he scored it and had a group of young girls take my picture with the target. I have shot some 250`s with my 1712 but with not that many X`s. I hope that when you finally get your first 250, that you have somebody take your picture too. Good luck, Dave
Old 09-22-2018, 10:42 PM

TPC Rating: 
100% (11)
Thanks Dave . I’ve almost bought a real benchrest stock a couple of times to see if that would help put me over the edge and get that 250 , but then I don’t think it would mean as much to me .
To me it’s about the journey. I’ve been at it awhile . I’d really like to do it with a semiauto and a bolt . It’s fun trying . Kirby
Old 09-25-2018, 04:37 PM

TPC Rating: 
100% (11)
Took a couple of my 10/22ís today . One is a SuperStock with a Boyds Rimfire Hunter stock and 19Ē SS GM HT Barrel , the other a SuperSport Heavy with a 16.5Ē Fluted SS GM Barrel in a Boyds Pro Varmint stock .
I shot both with SK Pistol Match.
The SuperSport Heavy barely beat out the SuperStock .
The SuperSport Heavy shot a 249-10X , the SuperStock a 248-7X . Kirby
The SS Heavy and Target

The SS with Target