Notices

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 04-24-2017, 11:05 PM
FLY5465

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by jon p View Post
they didn't show up. PLENTY of parts are available on e-bay. a butt stock new from Remington runs about 300.00!! which wood is cracked?? look on the barrel ,left side near where it goes into the receiver, there will be TWO LETTERS there, first is month second is year of mfg. post them and I can date it for you. try your pics again.
Lets try the images again. Thank you

Old 04-25-2017, 09:06 AM
jon p
US Army Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (4)
Exclamation WOW..............

that IS a BAD break!! might be possible to remove stock ,glue with wood glue and clamp. it will always be visible but should be strong. strange place to crack, someone may have over tightened the bolt. depends on how much you can spend and how much the crack appearance will bother YOU. myself, I would start a search for a used good condition stock. the 572/552 butt stocks are the same and ANY year will work, both rifles have been made since the late 1950s. your date code "B I" is JAN 1988. good looking 552, before the high comb which everyone seems to dislike VERY MUCH!! your rifle has the optional sling attachment points, nice feature. good luck fixing yours up.

Last edited by jon p; 04-25-2017 at 10:06 AM.
Old 04-26-2017, 10:34 PM
FLY5465

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Thanks Jon,
That might be the best option... pickup another stock and then I could play around with repairing this one. Other than that the gun is in pretty decent shape. But I think your right, someone probably over tightened it and it cracked.

Also, I've been doing more reading about dates. I wonder if my gun may have been built in 1976? I see they used the "BI" code in both 1976 & 1988. However my gun has the longer barrel, which I read they stopped making in the early 1980's. So I was thinking mine must be older than the 1980's??

Dale
Old 04-27-2017, 08:53 AM
jon p

TPC Rating: 
100% (4)
i believe you are correct

Quote:
Originally Posted by FLY5465 View Post
Thanks Jon,
That might be the best option... pickup another stock and then I could play around with repairing this one. Other than that the gun is in pretty decent shape. But I think your right, someone probably over tightened it and it cracked.

Also, I've been doing more reading about dates. I wonder if my gun may have been built in 1976? I see they used the "BI" code in both 1976 & 1988. However my gun has the longer barrel, which I read they stopped making in the early 1980's. So I was thinking mine must be older than the 1980's??

Dale
longer barrel should make it JAN 1976 instead of 1988. your receiver finish looks excellent, usually this is where wear shows up, it is a fairly fragile paint. I cant believe Remington has used this same paint since the late 1950s!! I believe the current production guns have a duller finish. did you see the stock now for sale on e bay? not cheap but looks excellent. as I said, I priced a new one from Remington, over 300.00!
Old 04-28-2017, 08:48 PM
BusMaster007
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Thumbs up The new 552 is in, but...

...I got the classic 'delay' for pick-up.
Will be inquiring about that after I get the gun home.

While inspecting this NIB firearm, I took note of the following:

1. The gun looks pretty...nice! Good looking, dark wood with some figure to it, and the gloss finish is well done.

2. The deflector shield was NOT assembled on the gun.
The part and the screws were loose in the box.

3. There was a sliver of paint missing on the right side of the dovetail groove about halfway back from the front of the receiver.

4. There are no sling-swivel studs attached.

Tonight, I am ordering a scope / rings / etc.
I'll adjust the etc. based upon input from the 552 Club and proceed accordingly.
Here's what I've got so far:

Leupold VX-1 2-7x28 matte finish Rimfire scope with the new argon/krypton gas in it.
Leupold Rifleman .22 matte finish rings for the grooved receiver.
Reviews have been positive for this scope as it is for a .22; sized accordingly; has the Leupold Guarantee and reputation.
( I'm going to forego the Leupold scope covers and gloss finish because they're a 'little' bit more expensive and I'm not shooting a Leupold scope with a Remington rifle attached to IT...if you know what I mean! )

I'm going to buy a couple of items for my other .22's that I may or may not interchange with the 552.
The idea, especially when I viewed the rifle NIB, was this IS a nice gun and I want it to be outfitted appropriately for what it is.
Keep it light and tight.

One last thing I may do, just because, is get Allen head screws and lock washers in blue for that detached deflector shield.
Tacoma Screw is the place in my neighborhood for that sort of thing.

SO...I need help if you're online, with:
Butler Creek flip-up scope cover #'s and any advice you might have on how to install the scope I chose!
Swivel stud advice and #'s.

OK, I'm off to ruin my credit rating!!!
Old 04-28-2017, 09:32 PM
BusMaster007

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Talking OK, internet research on the Butler Creek flip-ups:

Leads to here...!!!

https://www.rimfirecentral.com/forums....php?p=4032752

Old 04-29-2017, 03:53 PM
BusMaster007

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Found everything online last night, so the search is over.

Got the Butler Creek EYE 01 & OBJ 03 for the VX-1 2-7x28.
A dark brown leather sling made by the Amish...
Uncle Mike's swivel-stud set for .22 tube-magazine rifles.

And the miscellaneous 'stuff'.

Just have to wait for it all to show up and put it together.
Old 05-02-2017, 07:26 PM
BusMaster007

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Thumbs up Whale phukk...one of the screws - - -

- - - WENT MISSING after I got the box open at home.
The 'Deflector Shield' that was not attached at the factory, and both screws were in the box when I got my 'OK' after the 'delay', made a 'TING!' noise as I upended the box to exit the store door.
Comedically, I said, "...there she goes!"
Little did I know, there she went!
ONE. LITTLE. SCREW.

Moral of the story?
Don't leave any holes un-screwed.
TRUTH of the matter?
I shoulda, coulda, but didn't...put the danm ( yes, sp. intentional ) deflectory shield on the gun before I left.
OR, maybe, Remington should've installed it before they shipped the gun? Maybe...maybe...really?

Well, it's in MY POSSESSION.
My next move is to use the # provided by the Dealer to call BATFE to find out what my NICS Transaction/Transfer Number, or "NTN" means. Something or Someone is causing the 'delay'. For YEARS. I want this to cease ASAP so the next time I can just happily walk out the door with all my screws intact...

I have been notified that all the accessories are in transit for shipment, so when it ALL gets here and is assembled, I will take and post pictures.
Meanwhile, as it shows up, I'll just post whatever happens in the project.

THIS is an important firearm in that it is the first .22 that I have desired and put together that may be handed down as 'Dad' wanted or got it.
My First Princess is the one that will get it when I pass on to the BIG RANGE.
Well have a few chances to work that gun before I get there, I imagine...!!!
Old 05-09-2017, 10:19 PM
FLY5465

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Update on my new to me but old 552, with the crack in the stock. I decided to take it to a local guy who does stock refinishing. I told him I didn't want to spend a fortune on it, but would like to have the crack repaired if possible. He quoted me a very fair price and said he would do the best he can with it, so I had him do the work. I just picked it up tonight and I'm very happy with the repair. You would never know it was there if you weren't really looking for it.

Now I just need to find time to take it out and shoot it, as I have never shot a Remington Speedmaster before.

Here is a pic of the before and after.

Old 05-10-2017, 10:07 AM
jon p

TPC Rating: 
100% (4)
Talking WOW!!

the guy who repaired it did one FANTASTIC JOB!! wonderful. I bet it was a lot less expensive than a replacement stock! enjoy it, it is a blast to shoot. if you are a lefty, be sure to keep the ejection port shiel in place, and watch where you place your right fingers on the forearm, that bolt handle WILL BITE YOU!
Old 05-10-2017, 08:48 PM
FLY5465

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by jon p View Post
the guy who repaired it did one FANTASTIC JOB!! wonderful. I bet it was a lot less expensive than a replacement stock! enjoy it, it is a blast to shoot. if you are a lefty, be sure to keep the ejection port shiel in place, and watch where you place your right fingers on the forearm, that bolt handle WILL BITE YOU!
Thanks jonp. Yes, I was quite happy with the repair. I'm looking forward to trying it out. I'm right handed but appreciate the comments.
Old 05-15-2017, 08:47 PM
BusMaster007

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
That's a great repair of the wood. Real nice job!

I finally have all the parts I ordered for the new 552.

I 'ordered again' the sling and scope mounts from amazon and filed a missing mail complaint with the USPS regarding the 'delivered, but I didn't get it' first order.
( my daughters ordered some makeup to be delivered by FedEx and it was supposedly 'delivered' 2 days after my order...we haven't seen either one yet. FedEx gets a call tomorrow )

I may have this 552 put together by next week.
Hopefully we'll get our missing orders sometime soon.

Looking forward to shooting this new .22 in the near future!
Old 05-21-2017, 08:41 PM
qwiksdraw

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
That repair is much better than what I would have suggested.......duct tape!
Old 05-26-2017, 09:20 PM
BusMaster007

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I got the new screws and extra shell deflector, the numbers being sequential from Remington.
The new screws STILL DON'T FIT THE THREADED HOLES for the deflector, as the holes are OVERSIZED for the screws they listed as correct.

Now, either Remington's site lists the wrong screw, or the rifle was sent with a defect.
I've asked for Remington to send me a shipping label and make this right.
The gun is still unfired.

I'm not very happy about this 'whole' situation.
Old 05-28-2017, 12:11 PM
qwiksdraw

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)