.17 HMR NAA Black Widow - RimfireCentral.com Forums

Go Back   RimfireCentral.com Forums > >

Notices

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 07-01-2005, 12:33 PM
fflincher
US Air Force Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
.17 HMR NAA Black Widow

Well, I knew sooner or later I'd end up with a .17. It's a very slightly used North American Arms Black Widow, and the dang thing shoots, like, maybe six inches high at seven yards.

Was shooting Winchester 20 grain softpoints, so I cranked the adjustable rear sight all the way down and have not noticed any change in pattern. Yes, "pattern", not "group".

Have taken the springs out of the rear sight and screwed it down as far as it'll go, but wonder if NAA just doesn't need to sell these with a taller front sight.

Not too loud, about like a .22 LR from a short barrel. I'd expected something more like a .22 magnum blast.

Does anyone else have experience with the .17 HMR in a short barrel? Maybe, in a NAA? Perhaps even a Black Widow?
Old 07-01-2005, 03:33 PM
Passinby

TPC Rating: 
99% (69)
Send a message via Yahoo to Passinby
MMMMnnn, shouldn't you be ELEVATING the rear sight, thus forcing you to raise the barrel tip to raise your groups?
Old 07-01-2005, 06:11 PM
Cueball

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Not if he's 6" high already at 7yds.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-01-2005, 07:18 PM
Remington Mag

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Shooting high

By any chance has the front sight tip been broken off at some time?

Don Jackson Remington Magnum
Old 07-01-2005, 07:22 PM
Passinby

TPC Rating: 
99% (69)
Send a message via Yahoo to Passinby
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cueball
Not if he's 6" high already at 7yds.
Ah, read it as low somehow...
Old 07-04-2005, 03:00 PM
fflincher

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Wrote prematurely, except as it might serve as a cautionary tale for others. Traded out of it this weekend at the San Antonio SAXET gun show to someone who wanted it for a belly gun, and he got a good deal on it, too.

I ended up with an FEG .22 clone of a Walther PPK.

No, the Millett front sight was not altered from the original in any way. It's dovetailed in the barrel, so I might have been able to find a taller one if I'd shopped around.

Now have a half-dozen boxes of ammo left, and will hunt for a different gun so chambered!
Old 07-11-2005, 10:20 PM
Ben B.
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
I'd say a .22 PPK clone sounds like more fun than a .17 mini-revolver, any day.
Old 07-12-2005, 03:10 PM
fflincher

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben B.
I'd say a .22 PPK clone sounds like more fun than a .17 mini-revolver, any day.
You called it exactly right, Ben!

Still have eight boxes of ammo or so, and figure the next .17 HMR won't be so exasperating. FEG was a sweetheart after the first three magazines cleared without bobble. If I can add to the height of the front sight, it might replace my PP and PPK .22s.
Old 07-30-2005, 06:43 PM
Pete44ru

TPC Rating: 
86% (9)
Smile .17 HMR NAA Black Widow

Since you seem to be also shooting high with the PPK clone, after the Black Widow - you might want to reconsider your sight picture. It's very probable that you're raising the front sight too much, in relation to the rear sight. After all, practice burying the front sight blade is cheaper than new guns & gunsmithing sight blades.
Old 07-31-2005, 07:37 PM
fflincher

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Thanks anyway, Pete. Have been using the same sight picture since 1951, with a few notable exceptions.

First blackbird killed was with a cousin's .22/.410 Savage 24, he had it sighted with the tip of the front sight deep in the notch of the rear sight. Presently own a Colt Cobra .22 with four inch barrel, previous owner filed down the front sight, must make adjustment soon. Hy Hunter copy of Stevens Offhand has same sight picture as previously described model 24, except there's a bead on top and a rounded notch to accomodate it for shots from about 20-50 yards.

Am considering a light pipe topper for the Colt and the FEG PPK clone. Still, decision's not firm until the LockTite's dry.

Back to the NAA, those Millett sights just don't look right trying to bury the front sight. Not to me, anyway.