Go Back   RimfireCentral.com Forums > >

Notices

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 02-08-2016, 11:57 PM
bob9863

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
22lr muzzleloader conversion?

Anyone have any experience or idears about a 22lr to muzzleloader conversion?

I got the idea from that bastion of brilliant ideas, YouTube. The idea being threading a black powder nipple into a 22lr chamber, apparently it's easy and the firing pin strike hits the edge of the cap perfectly.
I was looking at expanding on the idea with a 20ga/22lr combo gun, make a really interesting muzzleloader combination.
The shotgun is easy with an adapter for 209 primers, but I would like to have both barrels take the same primers, so I have to figure out should I adapt the 20ga adapter to take caps or figure out a way to use 209 primers in the 22lr chamber.
Any thoughts?
Old 02-09-2016, 01:22 PM
Gizzy
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (150)
Why not just by a T/C and get the rimfire barrel and a muzzleloader barrel. I assume they still make the contender frame with the 2 firing pin configurations.
Old 02-09-2016, 01:26 PM
ivan

TPC Rating: 
100% (5)
NAA makes a version of their mini revolver in muzzle loader config

There are also u-toob videos of a guy who drilled out the "chamber" end of a break barrel air rifle, uses a 410 shell base to hold the primer. Primer only load does well, but he can also load a few grains of black powder.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-14-2016, 02:31 AM

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Howsabout pulling the bullet from a 22 lr, dump the powder and use the primed case as a cap in your existing 22 barrel?

These are .215" diameter and designed very similar to a minie ball black powder bullet (solid with a thick skirt that will obturate and engage the rifling upon firing. They slide right down a 22 rimfire barrel (or, you could go totally nuts by breech-loading it, fill your empty case with black powder and insert it behind the projectile).

http://www.pyramydair.com/s/p/H_N_Ra...olid_200ct/783

Whatever you do, be prepared to swab the bore after each shot; a 22 cal black powder bore fouls badly.
Old 02-14-2016, 05:46 AM
bob9863

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
That could work, be fun and less destructive, it would just be a case of either finding cheap rounds to pull or better yet those rimfire reloading kits might be the right idea.
I could re-prime fired cases, that would work.
Old 03-17-2016, 10:10 PM
captaincalc

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
22 ml

there're some guys out in CO who sell a 22 reloading set. It's primitive, but simple and looks cool enough. Save bucks on having to buy primed brass.
Old 03-25-2016, 04:14 PM
NHcollector

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by bob9863 View Post
Anyone have any experience or idears about a 22lr to muzzleloader conversion?

I got the idea from that bastion of brilliant ideas, YouTube. The idea being threading a black powder nipple into a 22lr chamber, apparently it's easy and the firing pin strike hits the edge of the cap perfectly.
I was looking at expanding on the idea with a 20ga/22lr combo gun, make a really interesting muzzleloader combination.
The shotgun is easy with an adapter for 209 primers, but I would like to have both barrels take the same primers, so I have to figure out should I adapt the 20ga adapter to take caps or figure out a way to use 209 primers in the 22lr chamber.
Any thoughts?
North American Arms makes a .22 Mini Revolver in black powder. They sell .22 bullets. The piece comes with two cylinders for more rounds quickly. They are 5 shot revolvers. You can use smokeless powder in them, at least it is so written, NAA recommends against it. Cumbersome but an interesting twist. Model # NNA-22M-CB-K.
Old 03-30-2016, 08:12 AM
DroopyBassets75
US Army Veteran

TPC Rating: 
100% (19)
Just look up black powder 10/22, a guy did a conversion, very thorough, and he got something rediculus like 3000fps. That seemed very safe to me, and really neat.

There are also not so smart things, using a .22 pellet and .22 short nailgun blank, or the guy who reloaded a 12ga shell with a live 12 gram co2 cartridge in front. It was long, had to be loaded as you could imagine, with some persuasion..... Stay safe.
Old 03-30-2016, 03:45 PM
Skeeve
NRA Member - Click Here To Join! Appleseed Member Appleseed Rifleman

Lo-Cal So.Cal., where the money is plastic & the people are too!
TPC Rating: 
100% (2)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vee3 View Post
Whatever you do, be prepared to swab the bore after each shot; a 22 cal black powder bore fouls badly.
This is probably why historically the smallest bores ML "squirrel" guns came in was ~ .32 cal...

I would imagine with the variable quality BP that our ancestors had to deal with prior to the 19th century, that the notion of "shoot one, clean one, reload" made a .22 cal ML less than appealing?
Old 08-15-2016, 11:28 AM
tallguy606

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Power

I was reading about a guy who was test shooting a .31 Colt revolver replica. He was shooting at a 2x6. The round ball was denting the wood, then bouncing back toward the shooter! No penetration at all. I would imagine a .22 BP would be even more anemic. So maybe pointless.