Go Back   RimfireCentral.com Forums > >

Notices

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 08-14-2016, 05:59 PM
5 in 1

TPC Rating: 
100% (18)
What mods do I need for a new Lite

Hello guys this will be my first 22/45 and was wondering what are the necessary upgrades to make it run like it should. I know trigger work, LCI, and a bushing will be in the first batch of upgrades, anything else? Also chime in on your choice of parts listed. Thanks
Old 08-14-2016, 06:14 PM
andyk

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
The sear and bushing make the most difference in the gun. Essential IMO. Everything else is up to you and really depend on what you are going to use it for. For plinking those two parts will make it a more enjoyable gun. For competition, replace the trigger or install you own adjutment screws. Slingshot mod makes life easier and if you change mags on the clock, is much faster. Mag bumpers help too. Fiber optic sights are a big improvment, red dot even bigger.

Enjoy.
Old 08-14-2016, 08:16 PM
5 in 1

TPC Rating: 
100% (18)
steel challenge would be it's function
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-14-2016, 09:59 PM
William S
US Air Force Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
If you do the slingshot mod this is the best free slingshot mod that I know of, works great, easily made, dependable, and drop in install.
Unable to link thread from 2008, do advanced search for
User Name: david9862
Keywords: Auto-bolt stop release
Old 08-15-2016, 11:17 PM
coltlover
US Army Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join! GOA Member

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
[IMG][/IMG]
Old 08-16-2016, 09:57 AM
SGW Gunsmith
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (14)
Quote:
Originally Posted by 5 in 1 View Post
Hello guys this will be my first 22/45 and was wondering what are the necessary upgrades to make it run like it should. I know trigger work, LCI, and a bushing will be in the first batch of upgrades, anything else? Also chime in on your choice of parts listed. Thanks
What I recommend to my valued customers is that they run a few hundred rounds through their new pistol before taking the advice of a Ruger 22/45 "one-gun owner" who just followed the herd.

Ruger has been doing pretty darn good with the 22/45 pistols of late and I get to see quite a few of those that the brown truck drops off. Shoot several hundred CCI Mini-Mags, if you can find those locally, and I only recommend those specific rounds because they function and fire very well in the Ruger guns. Otherwise, if you can find high velocity .22 rounds (not the HYPER stuff like Stingers) shoot those for a while to get the springs involved with your new pistol settled in to their working length. There's really no specific round count where that will happen, but you will notice much better function when the pistol gets there.

After that, you will have a very good feel for what YOU want to have this pistols do for you and not depend on the recommendations of a "one-gun owner" whose only experience is with the one particular pistol that they own.
Old 08-16-2016, 10:44 AM
TCBeard
Veteran Fire Fighter Appleseed Member Appleseed Rifleman

TPC Rating: 
100% (2)
Quote:
Originally Posted by SGW Gunsmith View Post
What I recommend to my valued customers is that they run a few hundred rounds through their new pistol before taking the advice of a Ruger 22/45 "one-gun owner" who just followed the herd.

Ruger has been doing pretty darn good with the 22/45 pistols of late and I get to see quite a few of those that the brown truck drops off. Shoot several hundred CCI Mini-Mags, if you can find those locally, and I only recommend those specific rounds because they function and fire very well in the Ruger guns. Otherwise, if you can find high velocity .22 rounds (not the HYPER stuff like Stingers) shoot those for a while to get the springs involved with your new pistol settled in to their working length. There's really no specific round count where that will happen, but you will notice much better function when the pistol gets there.

After that, you will have a very good feel for what YOU want to have this pistols do for you and not depend on the recommendations of a "one-gun owner" whose only experience is with the one particular pistol that they own.
Old 08-16-2016, 11:07 AM
KTGunsmithing
US Army Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Quote:
steel challenge would be it's function
I shoot a 22/45 Lite for Steel Challenge and NSSF Rimfire Challenge. So since you're only asking about ONE GUN...

Reliability is extremely important. You're on track with a hammer bushing and getting rid of the LCI. Get the real Kane Wolf slingshot mod: https://www.tandemkross.com/KaneWolf...2245_p_69.html It works 100% of the time where the other mods don't.

Prep your mags. Tandemkross has a great video about doing this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GL1rIj43sGA

Lube the bolt. They like to be run wet but with a VERY light (low viscosity) lube like Rem Oil or similar.

After making it reliable make it fit your hand (grips) and then change the trigger and sear so you have an adjustable trigger (mostly to reduce pre-travel / take up) and a decent trigger pull. I've used both the VQ triggers and the Tandemkross Victory trigger and much prefer the flat TK Victory trigger. Neither is "better", it's just preference.

Then it's sights. Quick acquisition in key. Something fiber optic like Williams Firesights or Dawson Precisions fiber optics for Limited (iron sights). For Open just get a C-more (post #5) and a 90 degree or upright mount. Preference again.

For Open you'll also want a comp. Get one with ports on top so it has down force. The ones with holes all around are useless for steel. I like MaddMacs comp: http://maddmacsprecisiontactical.com...-2245l013.html I have both aluminum and stainless steel versions and like the bit of barrel weight the stainless version adds. Tandemkross's comp https://www.tandemkross.com/22-Muzzl...45-Compensator is another that really works.

On an Open (comped) gun use high velocity ammo so the comp will work. With a good comp an Open gun with high velocity ammo will have less muzzle rise than a Limited gun with std velocity ammo.

Have fun, steel matches are addictive...

Last edited by KTGunsmithing; 08-16-2016 at 11:53 AM.
Old 08-16-2016, 11:30 AM
Test_Engineer

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by KTGunsmithing View Post
...Prep you mags. ...
Don't round off the back feed lips!

This mod helps nothing, but it does reduce reliable feeding. I wish .. would fix their video...

Last edited by Test_Engineer; 08-16-2016 at 11:33 AM.
Old 08-16-2016, 01:17 PM
5 in 1

TPC Rating: 
100% (18)
Thanks a lot for all the responses, very good information to ponder on. This gun will be an open gun so I will use a dot and comp. Question for the 90* c-more mount users; looks like it would restrict your view moving right to left? Thoughts
Old 08-16-2016, 01:52 PM
KTGunsmithing

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Question for the 90* c-more mount users; looks like it would restrict your view moving right to left? Thoughts
I shoot with an upright C-more. I have have two 22/45 Lites that are duplicates, ones a backup. I have shot them back to back with an upright C-more on one and 90 degree on the other.

The 90 degree doesn't really restrict your view (you should be shooting both eyes open) but it's always there and you don't have the un-obstructed window like the upright mounted one has. The intrusion of the anti-glare shield over my dot module really bothered me with the 90 deg mount. I took it off the C-more on the 90 deg mount. It's a non-issue with the upright mount.

I shot one major match with the 90 degree mount (I wanted to give it a fair trial) and went back to the upright version.

This is kinda like asking if apples or oranges better. My advice would be to try both. Shooters are usually pretty willing to let you try their guns.
Old 08-16-2016, 10:35 PM
andyk

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I've only been shooting open for maybe 6 months. When I first started I was having a tough time finding the dot. Not as big a deal when you start from low ready but our monthly matches we shoot both rifle and pistol on the same clock. Shoot one, put it down shoot the other. I always shot rifle first, just seemed faster to me. Had to change to pistol first. Now I've gotten more used to it, not as much issue. I was going to change to a 90 deg mount but I think shooting centerfire open also, the 90 deg mount may mess me up.

Plus listening to KT complain about his at our state match helped change my mind. He's a pretty good shooter, beat me by 40 seconds over 10 stages, so I trust his word. Hope to close that gap some in October.
Old 08-16-2016, 11:21 PM
KTGunsmithing

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by andyk View Post
Plus listening to KT complain about his at our state match helped change my mind.
I was not a happy camper. Should have picked a lesser, closer to home, match to use as a test...

Just because I don't like the 90 degree mount doesn't mean you'll feel the same way. Should've shot my gun on Friday to see if you liked it. I'm back to uprights and that's what I'll have at Worlds.
Old 08-16-2016, 11:25 PM
cub149

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I have owned several, 22/45's and MK II's.......never had one that didn't benefit from a VQ sear and in the case of the MK III a quality MKII bushing. everything else is optional....but those 2 are must haves.

I prefer to add overtravel stops or install a VQ/TK trigger as well, but those are personal preferences.

VQ sear is huge improvement for $$$ spent on every one of mine.
Old 08-17-2016, 12:35 AM
JStacy
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (29)
I agree with Cub about the VQ sear. A heavy trigger on that light of a gun makes for stray shots if you rush your trigger pull.