Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 11-09-2015, 12:36 AM
Doug Bowser
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Interesting Savage .22 rifle

I have a very interesting Savage .22 semi-auto rifle

During WW2 the British Home Guard did not have enough firearms to arm themselves. Through the NRA, American Sportsmen donated a large number of various sporting rifles to the Brits. The British were all but disarmed in 1920 and there were very few firearms available to them in their time of need. Our Country should remember how desperate the British people were, for the lack of privately owned firearms.
I was given a Pre-War Savage Model 7 .22 RF Semi-auto rifle. The Savage is a man sized rifle with a 24" barrel and a 5 shot box magazine. It is interesting to note, the magazines are identical to the Remington 500 series. This rifle has an oversized operating handle. Not only is it used to open the bolt but when the bolt is in battery the bolt knob can be pushed to the right and the rifle will not function as a semi-auto. It makes it a straight pull bolt action rifle. The stock is real walnut and it is hand checkered on the pistol grip. The metal finish on the rifle has turned to a light silver-brown color.
This rifle was one of the arms sent to the British Home Guard during WW2. I have only seen one other firearm that was sent to the British by American Sportsmen. It was a sporterized .30-40 Krag. Most of these rifles were destroyed by the British. The rifle has British proofs on it.
The rifle has open iron sights on it and it shoots groups of 5 at 50 yards under 1".
I feel fortunate that I own a piece of History.
We should NEVER give up or firearms. The British did in 1920 and they might not have been able to ward off the German invasion of their Homeland because the embraced a policy of temporary safety over freedom.

The man who gave me this rifle told me it was sent to England and returned after the War.

Doug
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Savage M 7 e.JPG (13.2 KB, 456 views)
File Type: jpg Savage M 7 a.JPG (23.4 KB, 437 views)
File Type: jpg Savage M 7 b.JPG (28.5 KB, 443 views)
File Type: jpg Savage M 7 c.JPG (20.1 KB, 444 views)
File Type: jpg Savage M 7 d.JPG (84.3 KB, 439 views)
Old 11-09-2015, 06:43 AM
Gmac5

TPC Rating: 
100% (14)
Very nice find . Well said , history tends to repeat itself . We all need to remember .
Old 11-09-2015, 06:01 PM
steve99f
US Navy Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Apparently most of the English people forget things easily. They has disarmed themselves again.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-17-2015, 11:24 AM
northernnecker
US Army Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (74)
Interesting Savage .22 Rifle

A beautiful rifle and truly an historic piece. Do you have any provenance that this is actually a "Guns for Britain" rifle other than the statement by the person who gave it to you? Any idea what the statement was based on other than the British markings? I have a pre-war Model 6 which is in similar condition and similarly marked which I also feel is a "Guns for Britain" rifle but have no way of proving it.
Old 12-17-2015, 11:29 AM
northernnecker

TPC Rating: 
100% (74)
Forgot to mention that while your rifle is marked "Not English Made" mine is marked "Not British Made"
Old 12-17-2015, 11:57 AM
SARGE
US Air Force Disabled American Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join! GOA Member

TPC Rating: 
100% (75)
I had a winchester 72 with those markings.
Old 12-17-2015, 01:55 PM
Catt57

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
That is an awesome piece of history. If I had it I'd never let it go.
Old 12-17-2015, 03:05 PM
Doug Bowser

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by northernnecker View Post
A beautiful rifle and truly an historic piece. Do you have any provenance that this is actually a "Guns for Britain" rifle other than the statement by the person who gave it to you? Any idea what the statement was based on other than the British markings? I have a pre-war Model 6 which is in similar condition and similarly marked which I also feel is a "Guns for Britain" rifle but have no way of proving it.
All I have is his word. He was a high level Military Rife collector. He had a rifle given by Bismark to the President of Remington Arms. It was a really beautiful 1871/84 11mm Mauser .
Old 12-25-2015, 12:28 AM
AlanD

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
The small arms gifted by the American Committee for Defense of British Homes, were not intended for British military service, they were a personal gift from an American citizen to a Home Guardsman, as it happened Lord Beaverbrook snaffled most of the good stuff for his Ministry of Aircraft Production Factory Defence Section, Home Guard units. Even the SOE did not get there hands on these arms, surprisingly. After the war about 16 odd cases (notes not to hand) of gifted/donated arms were returned to America. Not a single weapon was destroyed or dumped in the sea . They were sold at auction by the Ministry of Supply, with some being taken into the collections of various museums and forensic laboratory's. Time to kick this urban myth into the ditch where it belongs.

Regards

AlanD
Sydney
Old 12-25-2015, 11:04 PM
LAH

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
That is interesting.
Old 12-26-2015, 02:34 PM
CJ_74

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
There is so much history in firearms and this is a really fine example. People forget what those guns have meant to the world. Instead of giving everything you own to a king you can live a decent life on your own terms more or less and there's only one thing that has made that possible - firearms. When the king had his army of knights and archers and cannons not to mention the navy a guy who didn't like the idea of giving up their hard earned money to the king without that king bothering to ask you if you thought it was a fair deal could take up arms and have a shot at beating back even the most powerful king on earth. That's exactly what we did when we started this nation. And it was made possible by the gun. Without them regular Joes just had to take it. And that is the reason they want to take them from us. It won't stop terrorism or drug gang violence. It will stop the working man from deciding he has a better plan and he can make it work.

Hold on to your history guys and hold on to your guns. They tell stories we shouldn't be forgetting.