2nd range report, w/Hawke Varmint Scope - RimfireCentral.com Forums

Go Back   RimfireCentral.com Forums > > >

Notices

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 07-27-2015, 06:38 PM
DawnGazer
US Army NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Smile 2nd range report, w/Hawke Varmint Scope

I'm back with a report on my 2nd trip to the range with my '83 model 60. This time out I had my Hawke Varminter 3x - 12X - 44 scope installed, though I only shot at 6x.

I shot Winchester hi velocity RN, CCI standard velocity RN, Remington Golden high velocity HP, Federal Auto-Match RN, and Eley standard velocity RN. All have 40 gr. bullets.

The Results: (25 yards on indoor range with a bag under the stock and my hand supporting the rear)
* Eley SV LRN - (three 15 round groups) - .975", .985", 1.1"
* CCI SV LRN - (two 15 round groups) - 1.525", 1.320"
* Rem Golden HV JHP - (Two 15 round groups at same target, or one 30 round group) - (One ragged 27 round hole, with three flyers) 27 round hole = .780", With flyers = 1.560"
* Winchester copper plated HV RN - (One 15 round group and one 30 round group) - 15 round group = 1.590" scattered holes with no central group, 30 round group = 2.275".
* Federal AutoMatch bulk LRN (One 15 round group) - 2.675 " (I got two failures to fire and three failures to eject from the 17 round magazine, giving me that 15 round group. I shot other ammo groups after the Federals, but got no failures from them.)

Too bad for me. I have five 325 round boxes of Federal AutoMatch, the most horrible of all the rounds I tried. My Ruger Mark II slab side pistol does not like them either. I guess I will take a few trips to the BLM shooting area, when they open it up this fall, to shoot up those Federals.

Over all, the Eley and the Remington Golden had virtually the same point of impact at 25 yards. Both shoot very well, much better than the shooter. The flyers (bad shots on my part) on the groups were what made the groups large with those two.

I Have about 900 rounds of Eley, 500 rounds of CCI sv, and 500 rounds of Remington Golden. So I have time to seek more of what the gun likes.

Great day at the range.
Old 07-27-2015, 07:03 PM
gunner99

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Nice shooting Tex! Not bad for a cheap Marlin semiauto. I love my Marlins. I'd be curious how well you could do with CCI Mini mags. Thanks for the report.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Old 07-28-2015, 01:04 AM
BIGKILLA
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (11)
I was at the range last week with my father and brother. My brother was shooting his model 60 using Federal Automatch and out of the 4 full tubes or so he shot he had about 10 failure to fires and a few failure to ejects. The failure to fires all looked like light strikes but would not fire on the second run through. I wonder if it's bad ammo or the gun not liking it?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-28-2015, 01:10 AM
Toys4Guns

TPC Rating: 
100% (3)
Quote:
Originally Posted by DawnGazer View Post
I'm back with a report on my 2nd trip to the range with my '83 model 60. This time out I had my Hawke Varminter 3x - 12X - 44 scope installed, though I only shot at 6x.

I shot Winchester hi velocity RN, CCI standard velocity RN, Remington Golden high velocity HP, Federal Auto-Match RN, and Eley standard velocity RN. All have 40 gr. bullets.

The Results: (25 yards on indoor range with a bag under the stock and my hand supporting the rear)
* Eley SV LRN - (three 15 round groups) - .975", .985", 1.1"
* CCI SV LRN - (two 15 round groups) - 1.525", 1.320"
* Rem Golden HV JHP - (Two 15 round groups at same target, or one 30 round group) - (One ragged 27 round hole, with three flyers) 27 round hole = .780", With flyers = 1.560"
* Winchester copper plated HV RN - (One 15 round group and one 30 round group) - 15 round group = 1.590" scattered holes with no central group, 30 round group = 2.275".
* Federal AutoMatch bulk LRN (One 15 round group) - 2.675 " (I got two failures to fire and three failures to eject from the 17 round magazine, giving me that 15 round group. I shot other ammo groups after the Federals, but got no failures from them.)

Too bad for me. I have five 325 round boxes of Federal AutoMatch, the most horrible of all the rounds I tried. My Ruger Mark II slab side pistol does not like them either. I guess I will take a few trips to the BLM shooting area, when they open it up this fall, to shoot up those Federals.

Over all, the Eley and the Remington Golden had virtually the same point of impact at 25 yards. Both shoot very well, much better than the shooter. The flyers (bad shots on my part) on the groups were what made the groups large with those two.

I Have about 900 rounds of Eley, 500 rounds of CCI sv, and 500 rounds of Remington Golden. So I have time to seek more of what the gun likes.

Great day at the range.
How do you like the scope?
Old 07-28-2015, 10:59 AM
DawnGazer
US Army NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toys4Guns View Post
How do you like the scope?
Technically, this scope question is not about the Marlin Model 60. However, it does benefit the Marlin semi auto rifle topic as it does discuss alternative air rifle scopes that can be used on 22 rifles.

So,in answer to your question, Toys4Guns, I have used that scope on my NitroPiston break barrel rifle for several years. It is, in my opinion, a great scope. I would buy one again in a heartbeat. It works very well on my Marlin 60 as well. It may be a bit big, and many would say it is overkill on a .22 rifle. However my eyes are going bad on me (corneal degeneration and cataracts) and increased magnification is a must for me, if I am to target a small creature standing still in the rocks, brush, etc.
Old 07-28-2015, 01:02 PM
RJF22553
US Army Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by gunner99 View Post
Nice shooting Tex! Not bad for a cheap Marlin semiauto. I love my Marlins. I'd be curious how well you could do with CCI Mini mags. Thanks for the report.
Gunner, CCI Mini-mags (both 36gr HP and 40gr RN) work wonderfully in my 99M1. In fact, they work wonderfully and reliably in all my .22s. When firing anything Federal or American Eagle - even the HV stuff - experience ranged from choking (FTE, stovepipe ejections, FTFire, and FTLoad) in my Bersa Thunder 100% of the time to the same for my 99M1 (almost got a new feed throat because of that) about 50% of the time, to all my other .22LR semis about 25% of the time. Another forum for Bersas was almost unanimous in posts that the American Eagle/Federal Champion .22 ammo stunk in Bersas. It was also almost unanimous that CCI Mini-mags were about the most reliable and consistent for them.

So I bought a few hundred rounds of CCI Mini-mag 36gr HP and tried them out first in the Bersa (after about 250 rounds, still no failures at all), and then I thought "I wonder how they will do in my 99M1?" 100 rounds later and no failures of any kind, so I still have the original 1967 feed throat. Same results with my other .22 semis - no failures of any kind.

I dumped my remaining Am Eagle 5022/Fed Champion 510 with my nephew for his son's revolver, except for 100 rounds I kept for my revolver. Everything else is CCI Mini-mags, with a hundred or so Stingers and Velocitors for added "umph" from a pistol should the need arise. My personal preference is having ammo that will work reliably in every weapon I have of that caliber, so I don't have to remember which ammo goes best with which weapon.

I buy in bulk on-line and usually get free shipping. There is virtually no .22 ammo of any kind available in stores in my area, so on-line is about the only reasonable option. CCI Mini-mags are a bit more expensive than other brands, but I know for certain that if I grab a few hundred rounds to go out shooting, every .22 I have shoots it reliably with no failures. To me, reliability is more important than accuracy (and they are plenty accurate for me). Then again, I only shoot paper to zero in a scope and I don't shoot critters. Their accuracy out of my 99M1 is about one BCOA (beer can of angle). The last thing I want to do is buy 1,000 rounds of another type of ammo only to find I have similar experiences as with the Am Eagle/Fed HVs. My Bersa Thunder seems to be the lowest common denominator for ammo: if it works reliably in it, it will work reliably in everything else I have. It just sucks the fun out of shooting when you have multiple failures...

CCI Mini-mags will generally transition from supersonic to subsonic at about the 50 yard point from an 18.5" barreled semi-auto (specifically a 10/22). The bullet will be unsteady during that transition but eventually recovers somewhat. So if your target is at 75 yards, they might be a little "off", but at 50 and 100 yards, they should be fine out of a 20" barrel. Standard velocity CCI really transitions to subsonic right after it leaves the muzzle (if not a little before), which might explain the poorer shot groups the OP got from it at 25 yards, but is probably better beyond 25 yards. I can't speak to the other types of ammo he used. Hope this helps.

Last edited by RJF22553; 07-28-2015 at 01:07 PM.