Notices

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 02-03-2015, 10:08 AM
SGW Gunsmith
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (14)
Sort of a Survey

I'm trying to get a FEEL (might be a "pun"?) for what those of you, 'real' shooters, like, and if you prefer a thumb rest on a set of grip panels for your Ruger Mark pistols. Do you think the Ruger laminated grip panel thumb piece is just right, too big, too little? JEE posted a picture of some Hogue grip panels on a pistol he has with a more subdued thumb rest, and it looks like the gun will slide into a holster OK, if a holster were to be used. I'm leaving my thoughts and prejudice out of this, and would like to read about what brands and styles of panels you folks prefer, that also include a thumb rest, along with any foibles you might find with those thumb-rest panels. South Paw shooters included, because I just don't see many panels that cater to your needs.
Old 02-03-2015, 10:54 AM
bichettereds

TPC Rating: 
100% (61)
I think the Ruger laminated thumb rest grips are wonderful in my hands but if those Hogues that JEE has feel as nice as the black rubber versions I would probably prefer those. The thumbrest cutout on the Hogues fit my thumb a bit better. I held a mkII with a pair of thumb rest altamonts and they werent nearly as comfortable. Its more of a bump than a shelf, and my thumb almost wanted to slide off.
Old 02-03-2015, 11:11 AM
MidwesternMutt
NRA Member - Click Here To Join! GOA Member

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Sort of a Survey

Don't know if I qualify as a "real shooter" because I never get to shoot as much as I want, but I have been a shooter since the late '80s. When I shoot, I prefer no thumb rest at all.

Last edited by MidwesternMutt; 02-03-2015 at 01:55 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-03-2015, 12:00 PM
JStacy

TPC Rating: 
100% (30)
On my MK I & II Rugers I have thumb rest grips on all of them. The Altamont grip is really more of a slot on some of their grips more of a shelf on some of the others. I like moe of a shelf , like the Hogue rubber grips but in wood. There was a company,Arizona grips I think, that had grips very much like the Ruger thumb rest but slightly more carved and they are quite nice. However the company is now out of business I think. Yes I would like thumb rest grips . Jim
Old 02-03-2015, 12:16 PM
Schnauzer
US Navy Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
I've used The Volthane grips from Volquarzen but quickly switched to something not as "aggressive". I now use a set from Altamont which combine the shelf type of thumb rest along with finger gooves. I find them sort of midway between an aggressive shelf and nothing at all. My choice of this type of grip is it offers me a consistent grip that I have grown used to and offers a grip that doesn't change in my hand like a non thumb grip type sometimes does. With bullseye shooting consistency and repeatability is key to shooting well and it starts with a comfortable grip that fits your hand well and is something that the shooter doesn't have to think too much about once you've found that sweet fitting grip feel.
Old 02-03-2015, 12:25 PM
bearcatter

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I actually liked the factory plastic grips on my Mark III. I tried the Hogues on someone else's and it just didn't feel right.

Had a Mark I years ago that I made rosewood grips for, with shallow finger grooves on the left panel, no thumbrest. They felt good since they matched my hand. I guess the ready-made generic fit just doesn't fit for me, YMMV.
Old 02-03-2015, 12:27 PM
kiwiVT

TPC Rating: 
100% (4)
No thumb rest. Shoot both right and left handed. I like TAC SOL aluminum grips.
Old 02-03-2015, 12:55 PM
SGW Gunsmith

TPC Rating: 
100% (14)
Quote:
Originally Posted by bearcatter View Post
I actually liked the factory plastic grips on my Mark III. I tried the Hogues on someone else's and it just didn't feel right.

Had a Mark I years ago that I made rosewood grips for, with shallow finger grooves on the left panel, no thumbrest. They felt good since they matched my hand. I guess the ready-made generic fit just doesn't fit for me, YMMV.
I think that's the "secret" with finger grooves in the grip panels, they need to fit and line up, correctly. That's the main reason I avoid installing finger grooves in the grips I make. Never know what the shape of some fingers are. I have a customer who's a 'roofer' and the guy has fingers the same diameter as a Louisville Slugger. And then there are ladies with fingers that are as svelte as a string-bean, so I don't mess with finger grooves in grips. Just trying to get a consensus concerning thumb-rests and what would work with the majority of those who prefer a place to rest their thumb.
Old 02-03-2015, 01:02 PM
theearlof

TPC Rating: 
100% (80)
I am happy with the factory laminated grips that come on the Comp Target slabside.
Old 02-03-2015, 01:29 PM
JEE

TPC Rating: 
100% (67)
Here are some comparison pics...

These are shaped a little more like the Hogue rubber thumbrest grips.

I like the partial checkering vs. the full... it would be cool if these had the Ruger medallion.

I also like the palm swell.

The Hogue thumbrest protrudes out pretty much the same amount as the stock Comp. grips although the front does taper sooner.

Last edited by JEE; 02-03-2015 at 01:33 PM.
Old 02-03-2015, 01:36 PM
Rimfiregal

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I have nothing against thumb rests, but I do just fine without them. I don't use them with my 1911s or my other Marks, other than our Comp, and they do limit my options as to how I grip a gun. Just me, though. I vote for continuing to offer rests with and without them.
Old 02-03-2015, 01:46 PM
JEE

TPC Rating: 
100% (67)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rimfiregal View Post
I vote for continuing to offer rests with and without them.
I agree.

I have two MKII's with thumbrests set up for target, (5.5" and the Comp.) but my other MKII's and centerfire pistols do not.

Last edited by JEE; 02-03-2015 at 01:58 PM.
Old 02-03-2015, 02:50 PM
bichettereds

TPC Rating: 
100% (61)
Ruger Kingwood grips

Quote:
Originally Posted by JEE View Post
Here are some comparison pics...

These are shaped a little more like the Hogue rubber thumbrest grips.

I like the partial checkering vs. the full... it would be cool if these had the Ruger medallion.

I also like the palm swell.

Those are some sweet looking grips. I love the feel of the rubber version, and love the looks of the laminate Ruger target grips. This looks like the best of both worlds. Im also a fan of the half checkering.

Thanks for sharing. Sometimes its hard to tell if it has a palm swell from a head on view.

Last edited by bichettereds; 02-03-2015 at 02:55 PM.
Old 02-03-2015, 04:18 PM
1gunsnotenough

TPC Rating: 
100% (38)
I use non thumb rest Hogue on all of my shooters. But it also depends on how you hold the gun. I use a 2 handed grip as in shooting a 1911 with right thumb on top of left knuckle with my left hand far forward on the receiver. My left thumb tip is flush with end of receiver. With this type grip a thumb rest does not allow my left palm to have a firm contact with grip. Here are my shooters. Threw 1911 in pic as it doesn't get many photo-ops. Plus real shooters shoot 1911s.

Old 02-03-2015, 04:28 PM
SGW Gunsmith

TPC Rating: 
100% (14)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rimfiregal View Post
I have nothing against thumb rests, but I do just fine without them. I don't use them with my 1911s or my other Marks, other than our Comp, and they do limit my options as to how I grip a gun. Just me, though. I vote for continuing to offer rests with and without them.
Oh, that's a given, and I prefer 'em without a thumb-rest myself. Ruger just isn't very "fashion conscious" with the laminated grips and I'm just trying to see if there's any interest in a left-hand thumb-rest version mostly. And trying to see what size thumb-rest is preferred. Those that LOVE the Ruger thumb-rest grips, fine, I'm only interested in reading about alternatives to that one, if any exist. I sure as hell ain't gonna copy the Ruger laminated variety. I think Ruger Mark pistol owners deserve custom grips that fit their grip grabbers better, if they want those. I may not even bother with thumb-rest panels, unless they are a "special" order deal.

Last edited by SGW Gunsmith; 02-03-2015 at 04:33 PM.