Join Team RFC to remove these ads.
Closed Thread

Old 11-15-2011, 11:50 AM
EOrion84

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by bassassassin772 View Post
I always use cut allen wrenches for my really small pins. They are hardened. And work great
I didn't think about that! Good call. I am going to try it right now.

Is the taper pin slot tapered, or can it be removed from either end?
Old 11-15-2011, 11:53 AM
bassassassin772

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Either end
Old 11-15-2011, 12:15 PM
EOrion84

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by bassassassin772 View Post
I always use cut allen wrenches for my really small pins. They are hardened. And work great
Thanks for the idea, and inspiration, but I didn't have anything handy to cut the allen wrench with, and hitting it with a bend in it was doing nothing for me.

I ended up going through my tool box (most of my tools are at my dad's, in the work room - **** I need a house of my own), and finding some picture hanging nails. I cut the tip off one, filed it down, and it fit perfectly.

Now, I have it fully stripped, and ready to polish. One more read through this thread, and I will be ready to go.
Old 11-15-2011, 12:34 PM
EOrion84

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I hear a lot of mention of Flitz polish here, but are there any recommendations for other polishes? I have used Mothers in the past, and it seemed to have worked well.
Old 11-15-2011, 03:17 PM
Jim_WY

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I did a quickie job on mine, using a Dremel moto-tool, and I used the "stick" rouge that came with some Dremel tools. It worked quite well!

Just be sure to get all of it off when you're done.
Old 11-15-2011, 04:45 PM
bassassassin772

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
when i did mine inside and out i used 220 grit sand paper then all the way down to 2000 then followed that up with Mothers Mag and aluminum polish works great
Old 11-18-2011, 01:30 PM
EOrion84

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
WOW! I polished all elements of the bolt, and they cleaned up nice!!!

I have read that some people use white lithium grease and/or fine gun oil to lubricate the elements in the bolt.

A) Which is more recommended, the grease, or the oil; I'm leaning to the grease, no?

B) What portions of the inner bolt should get the lubrication?

--------------------------------

Onto another portion of the gun, the receiver. The main reason I polished the bolt, was to prevent any more burring/scratching of the receiver. I am looking to smooth out the inner portion of receiver. Does anyone know of a reason not to do this? You can see the scratches (I know they are said to be, 'normal') in the receiver in the image below. Image 4A, and image 5.

I want to take the trigger elements off of the receiver when I do this. Any thoughts on that?

Old 12-07-2011, 07:11 PM
GotLoveForAll

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Smile

This thread is awesome. I'll be polishing my bolt and its internals as soon as I can.

I went through the thread and all the full bolt strip-down photo links are unviewable. Can someone post a step-by-step strip-down guide please?
Old 12-12-2011, 05:13 PM
EOrion84

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
What images aren't you able to view? I can see all them, at least on the first few pages.

Don't be too intimidated. Taking the bolt down is rather simple, as long as you have a good vice, and the correct size open ended wrench. Once my bolt was in the vice, I pulled the two halves apart and put a Three prong to two prong conversion plug between the vice and the bolt handle, to keep it open while I worked.

My wrench didn't fit correctly, so I shimmed it with a sliver of aluminum can, and got it off that way. The hardest part is getting the spring retainer off. You have to have strong hands to compress the spring, and then pop off the retainer with a screwdriver or something - same for getting it back on.

I over polished the bolt, now that I think about it. It isn't "sloppy" or loose, at least not to my touch, but I could have skipped a few areas. She still shoots well.
Old 03-02-2012, 09:16 AM
Jbfuller
Fire FighterEmergency Medical Technician NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Send a message via AIM to Jbfuller
do you do anything to the extractors?
Old 03-02-2012, 10:33 AM
EOrion84

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I gave them a sanding around the edges, and flat surfaces. I didn't take off all of the bluing, but a good amount came off. They are nice and smooth now. Did doing that make a difference over all? I'm not sure, but it didn't hurt!
Old 03-16-2012, 12:45 PM
hyperliteCKY

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Send a message via AIM to hyperliteCKY Send a message via Yahoo to hyperliteCKY
Thanks

This was very helpful. I have recently done a complete overhaul on my 93. I bought it on the day I turned 18 (I am 26 now). This helped add a few finishing touches to a rifle so near and dear to my heart.
Old 08-15-2012, 11:14 AM
Mark_
US Air Force Veteran

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Well, lets see ....

I'm on my second Mk II.

With the first II I fell prey to the 'having to stick my fingers in it to make it work ' thing, AKA: Polishing the bolt.

With this second II I'm just shooting it. First few bolt cycles felt like sand was in the action, that quickly went away. I worked the bolt (both cocking and de-cocking) MAYBE 100 times, just keeping the action clean and oiled, and after 200~300 rounds the action is like silk.

Simply shooting this second II and keeping the bolt clean and oiled has made the bolts action "screw with my mind" sweet.

So, if you have to polish the bolt to make the action smooth there may be something wrong with the bolt.

If your polishing the bolt from some form of compulsion to manipulate your physical surroundings and just have to 'stick your fingers in it', you may be better off just walking away from the gun till the compulsion passes.

Using moto tools and drills and such? If its that bad you should send the gun back.
Old 10-26-2012, 01:03 PM
Eremius

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruce G. View Post
Me too please! Any info on polishing bolt internals and externals. Thanks.

Bruce G.
Could you just post the information so people like me can stop having to bug you asking for the info in PM?

Thanks!
Old 12-29-2012, 06:26 PM
mikehchase
Law Enforcement Officer

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Smile Can I get same Info please

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShootNut View Post
Mike PM sent

I would like that polishing info sent to me also from someone if possible
Closed Thread