Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 09-01-2011, 09:25 PM
Metaleer
NRA Member - Click Here To Join! GOA Member

TPC Rating: 
100% (13)

Quote:
Originally Posted by cnelson181 View Post
No problem.. Glad I could help.. I'm sad though. We bought a new house and I'm not able to shoot at the new house. I hauled the gun bench up to my buddies. At least it will get some use..

Sent from my DROID3 using Tapatalk

Boy that hurts. I lived and went to college in Holland, Michigan 68-74 and miss the state, The closest we came to finding a state like it was Maine. When we bought our land in Maine I had a few requirements:
1) We had to have acreage to shoot - We have 50 acres.
2) It had to be on a lake - We have 1,000 ft. of frontage on a 550 acre lake.
3) It had to be solar - My wife and I are both engineers and we designed and built a solar home.
We are very lucky in that we were able to get all the above and great neighbors who shoot. Can not get much better than that.
Metaleer

PS: Thank you for serving for our country.
Old 12-09-2011, 04:59 PM
alum572
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (44)
Great thread

Thanks to all who have posted pics of shooting benches. I am about to build a portable bench for winter indoor air gun shooting so the information here is extremely helpful. So many creative ideas that will save me some money and make use of materials I have on hand.
Old 12-09-2011, 05:01 PM
alum572

TPC Rating: 
100% (44)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mossbergman View Post
I've made some like those above ,but fall back on this cheap and easy portable option more times than not. i Everyone knows what i mean when I say "Workmate" If not ,you know the folding little portable saw horse work table B&D and other s make. You can get the small ones for around $25.00 Thats all you need to start . then take a peice of plywood the size you need and cut to the shape for the top. screw a 1X1 1/2" strip to the underside of the plywood top lenght wise. All you need to do is set this on top of the work mate and crank the clamping top to the strip on the under side . the whole thing even when clamped together folds flat when you colapse the workmate.I made one .. Makes a quick lite wieght portable bench Mine is smaller for portability in the field ,you can make the top what ever size you like .but too lage will compromise stability . A lite kick on the inside of the legs settle it in to a solid bench with little trouble or time. I want to add some carpet to part of the top so the little HM2 rds don't keep trying to roll away on me. all you need is a 5 gal bucket for a seat . -- -- I was aked to post this again on this thread, this is fro the guys who want shooting time vs time making a bench."Quick and easy" I've made a better one ,but this one get more use as to it's portability lite weight etc. --JMJ--

For the time being, since I already have the Workmate, this will be my first one.
Old 03-26-2012, 12:41 PM
WTB86325

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
A very stable shooting bench can be built using a metal saw-horse purchased at home depot. Simply cut out your board and bolt it to the sawhorse. Folds flat for transport, legs are adjustable for height.
Old 04-12-2012, 10:34 AM
hardydson

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Cobbled up shooting bench

Here is my bench i threw together last Sunday. Doesn't look great but it's super sturdy and works well for my home range.
Old 05-06-2012, 10:57 AM
RichJ

TPC Rating: 
100% (7)
New 100 yard bench

Since shooting the .17 seemed to easy at 50 I had to clear some brush and scrub trees so as to be able to shoot at 100 yards. Plus my son in law just got a Stag Arms with the 22 inch heavy barrel so 100 is minimum.

Made this one ambidextrous as I have friends come over who shoot from the wrong side ;-)
Rich
Old 05-06-2012, 12:11 PM
All4fun

TPC Rating: 
100% (71)
Quote:
Originally Posted by RichJ View Post
Since shooting the .17 seemed to easy at 50 I had to clear some brush and scrub trees so as to be able to shoot at 100 yards. Plus my son in law just got a Stag Arms with the 22 inch heavy barrel so 100 is minimum.

Made this one ambidextrous as I have friends come over who shoot from the wrong side ;-)
Rich
Outstanding. It doesn't get any more solid than that!

And I wish I had your property to shoot at.

~~~
Old 10-18-2012, 10:28 AM
PAcanis

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Here's some pics of my bench and shooting area.

I put wheels on my bench so I can leave the target right in front of the backstop and simply wheel the bench to whatever distance I want to shoot from. They do not make contact with the ground until I lift up the back. That way I can leave the target right in front of the backstop and if I miss by a couple feet my bullet will still hit the backstop.

Here I am at 50 yds. Right now I can shoot at about 160yds by moving the bench down my shooting lane.
Old 10-18-2012, 10:32 AM
mkane

TPC Rating: 
100% (9)
Genius.
Old 10-18-2012, 11:25 AM
ShootsAtSky
US Air Force Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
Quote:
Originally Posted by mkane View Post
Genius.
I'll second that! EXCELLENT!

Bob
Old 10-18-2012, 11:37 AM
PAcanis

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Thanks guys.
Still trying to think of a way to get a motor on it.
Now THAT would be genius
Old 10-18-2012, 01:12 PM
ShootsAtSky
US Air Force Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
My second thought was about trying to figure out way to hitch it to my JD tractor. But it looks like it would have to be tipped up quite a ways to get the weight on the wheels. Good for moving by hand, not so good for pulling behind a tractor. Maybe a two wheel dolly to slip under the rear leg, but it would have to hold the leg pretty high.

First thought, before looking at the wheels was to wonder how you tied in the diagonal from the front left leg to the back leg. Did you notch it around the rear leg, or just glue and screw to the lower cross bar?

Bob
Old 10-18-2012, 01:49 PM
PAcanis

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShootsAtSky View Post
My second thought was about trying to figure out way to hitch it to my JD tractor. But it looks like it would have to be tipped up quite a ways to get the weight on the wheels. Good for moving by hand, not so good for pulling behind a tractor. Maybe a two wheel dolly to slip under the rear leg, but it would have to hold the leg pretty high.

First thought, before looking at the wheels was to wonder how you tied in the diagonal from the front left leg to the back leg. Did you notch it around the rear leg, or just glue and screw to the lower cross bar?

Bob
You could always mount a hitch low onto to the back post and use a crossbar on your 3pt hitch with a ball on it, but it moves pretty easy if you pick it up high enough to hit the balance point. The bench itself is heavy, but not picking up the one end.

The diagonal is screwed down to the 2x4's it is setting on. And those 2x4's are screwed to the posts. (if I'm following you correctly)
Old 11-03-2012, 01:31 PM
Rhinohio

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Hello folks, new here.

I took the Horst gun bench plan, updated it a bit and added some detail to it to make it more intuitive on how to build. Also made a materail list. Thought I would share with those who may be interested.

I used 4 x6 for the legs because I had them from another project but 4x4 would be more than strong enough. The stretchers were added between the front and rear legs because it gets dragged around from spot to spot... probably not necessary if your not planning on moving it.

I have printable .pdf's on 11 x 17 format if you like... pm me and I can e-mail.

Mike
Old 11-15-2012, 02:52 PM

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronborimfire View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by wingspar View Post
Although I love a lot of the ideas posted on this thread, I'm afraid that I'm not handy with tools, so either one of these will work for me, haha!