Go Back   RimfireCentral.com Forums > >

Notices

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 04-26-2012, 05:48 PM
DavePat

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
What aperture sight setup for CMP RFS ?

Finally got around to getting some new shooting glasses (Jaggi Nova titanium) so that I can start shooting CMP RFS open and aperture sight classes. Am curious to hear from folks as to what type of aperture sight setups you are using or would recommend. I will be using them on a CZ 452 "Lux".

What type/brand front and rear sights ?
What aperture sizes for 50 ft, 25 and 50 yd targets ? (RF 50A, RF 50B, B-19C)
What lenses if any in the sights (front/rear) ?
Adjustable aperture ? What brand ? (Gehmann, Anschutz, Centra, etc.) ?
Filters ?

http://www.intershoot.co.uk/acatalog/Rearsights.html

http://www.intershoot.co.uk/acatalog...t_Tunnels.html

Thanks in advance
Old 04-26-2012, 08:43 PM
Ron V.
NRA Member - Click Here To Join! GOA Member Appleseed Rifleman

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
For my CZ 452 Training Rifle I have set up for A-Class, I use a Centra 10001B adjustable iris in a Gehmann 590 compact base with a Gehmann 55635 glare tube. Previously, it was a Williams FP TK. I mount the sight on the front groove to 1) prevent any hindrance to the bolt handle and my method of cycling the bolt, 2) provide an unobstructed view of and path for the ejection port, 3) I prefer a very small rear aperture. Only the rear clamping claw secures the sight but it works well enough.

For the front I had grooved the left side of the sight ramp and finger nail nick grooved the right for the claw to secure on and prevent from walking forward/back to install the standard Anschütz 6832 tube that has an Anschütz 9733 iris in it. Shimmed on the left side to center and allow the base to grip the ramp.

I've tried some of the more elaborate sights from my Anschützes, Walther, and Feinwerkbau but they are just unnecessarily big and block either the bolt when mounted at the rear grooves or block the ejection port when mounted on the front grooves. The Gehmann 590 seemed just right and not too expensive too. The only other sight I considered was the Gehmann 518.

The Williams worked well enough for CMP RS and I was using the stock front sight blade but my particular gun ran out of depression at the rear sight when shooting at 6:00 on a very small target (the small target on the Appleseed AQT) even with the front at the highest setting. There was too much light between the front sight and target for my liking.

ME + TYPING = NOT GOOD

Last edited by Ron V.; 04-26-2012 at 09:00 PM.
Old 04-27-2012, 08:56 PM
DavePat

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Ron - Super thanks as always for the helpful info and especially the pictures. Answers a lot of questions. Am scratching my head as to whether I think I could modify my bolt cycling technique so that I could mount the sight on the rear dovetail or not. Looks like the Gehmann 518 and 590 as well as the Centra Spy, Centra Startline and Centra 10-50 might work without hitting the bolt knob as long as I could keep my fingers from hitting the control knobs on the sights. Will have to think about it some more. Looks like I could also mount them on the front dovetail like you did if it didn't work. What do you think about the Centra 10-50 ? Look like it would work on the front or rear dovetail ?

http://www.intershoot.co.uk/acatalog/Rearsights.html

Thanks again.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-28-2012, 12:08 AM
Ron V.
NRA Member - Click Here To Join! GOA Member Appleseed Rifleman

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
IMO, the Centra 10-50 looks like it would work on either the front or rear grooves. I don't know of anyone in the US selling them, though. The closest is the Centra 10004M or -S sold by Champion's Choice for 1913 Picatinny. The base would have to be adapted to the 11mm grooves which will raise the sight height.

I'm not sure about the Starline. The windage knob and right rear corner of the base look like they might interfere with the bolt when mounted at the rear grooves or at least make it difficult to work with little room the sight would allow.

The very low mount of the Centra Spy windage knob looks like trouble at the rear grooves and looks like the base will overhang over the ejection port quite a bit at the front grooves.

I had tried mounting the Centra 590 at the rear grooves but didn't like the ~¼" of base hanging over the ejection port. (Sight was mount forward enough to allow the bolt to fully raise. Rear of sight base was in front of the bolt handle notch of the receiver.) It also did not leave a lot of room to get a secure hold of the bolt knob to cycle. (Not my regular method of cycling the bolt but the only option when mounting the 590 at the rear grooves.)

ME + TYPING = NOT GOOD