Go Back   RimfireCentral.com Forums > >

Notices

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 04-22-2012, 12:23 AM
xhairs1970

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
What is your 3P rilfe of choice?

What is your personal rifle preference for shooting the 3P style match shoots and do you prefer iron's or scopes for this?
I think I am going to have to get my son's a better choice of gun for getting involved with this and just wondered what you guy's are using.
I have an old 10/22 and a good shooting stainless 597 but I think I may just get them their own rifles for this instead of 'just using dads gun'.
I also have a Henry and an older Remy 34 that they both shoot pretty well but I think trying to load 5 rounds at a time during rapidfire may be a problem along with trying to work a lever and/or a bolt gun from prone so I figured an auto-loader would be a better way to roll.
What do you all think on this subject?
Old 04-22-2012, 09:06 AM
cowboy4
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (6)
Quote:
Originally Posted by xhairs1970 View Post
What is your personal rifle preference for shooting the 3P style match shoots and do you prefer iron's or scopes for this?
What do you all think on this subject?
There are a number of 3-P games. If the CMP sporter games are your choice, the CZ sporters are a top choice (from reviewing the equipment lists of the top finishers) as is the 10/22.
If you are referring to the olympic style shooting (A-17 and USAS 50 targets), a used Anschutz 64 match would be my first choice for a starter rifle. I could gauge the interest and committment of the young shooter before committing bigger dollars and allow them to take advantage of decent equipment while the skill level develops.
Sights are a matter of personal choice and competitive opportunity.
Old 04-22-2012, 02:41 PM
xhairs1970

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
It would be CMP style events...I am leaning towards the 10/22 but can't decide on which model to pick. These rifles will be dual purpose with small game hunting as well.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-22-2012, 09:42 PM
DavePat

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Since you mentioned CMP events, you might want to check out what folks used who competed at the nationals at Camp Perry this last year.

"Rimfire Sporter O-Class" for open sites

http://clubs.odcmp.com/cgi-bin/repor...ID=1&awardID=1

"Rimfire Sporter T Class" for telescopic and aperture sites

http://clubs.odcmp.com/cgi-bin/repor...ID=2&awardID=1

"Rimfire Sporter Tactical class" -

http://clubs.odcmp.com/cgi-bin/repor...ID=5&awardID=1

I would think a CZ 452 or 455 for $ 3-400 would be my 1st choice as you will have to spend around a grand to get a 10/22 to shoot that well.
Old 04-24-2012, 05:23 PM
PMY
NRA Member - Click Here To Join! Appleseed Rifleman

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I shoot a 10/22 with a 6x Weaver scope in CMP Rimfire Sporter. I've done quite a bit of work to it, but it started out as a standard basic 10/22 carbine. That seems like a good place to start, and you can upgrade the trigger, barrel and stock (and more) as needed.

I think a 10/22-T, the target model, would be too heavy to pass a weight inspection.

Last year I picked up a Ruger SR-22 to shoot Tactical Class. I did have to move some parts around to get it under weight.
Old 04-25-2012, 08:02 PM
NuJudge
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I won a Gold medal with a stock 10/22 with the original open sights, just barely, years ago. I have also used manual bolt rifles such as a Marlin 25N. If you have the time to get it modified, I would suggest having a semi-auto modified. I was always close to not getting my shots off with the manual rifles. If you don't have the time to get a semi-auto modified, go with a manual bolt and practice a lot.

I now use two 10/22 rifles that have had the rear of the barrel faced off and rechambered, had the headspace reset to optimum, had the top rear of the bolt radiused to increase reliability, had a pin put in over the firing pin, and been pillar bedded. One has Millett open sights for Open class (they are just pistol sights, but have repeatable adjustments), one has a 4X steel tube Weaver on it. Both have had trigger jobs and are right at 3 pounds. I like the CST bolt stop, so I have one on both rifles. I use a cartridge block to make sure I have the right number of cartridges in each magazine, but I also have the clear magazines so that I can see my round count is right

I have shot well with these for several years, but I'm not satisfied with the simple cross hairs on the Weaver: they tend to disappear in the black of the bullseye. I will practice sometimes at a 50 foot range close to my home, and on the reduced size 50 foot bullseye, one center hit and the little white spot in the center of the X ring is gone. Also, the parallax setting on the Weaver is wrong. I did have a Bushnell shotgun scope, where the parallax setting was right, and it had a big circle as a part of the reticle which I could use in centering the sights on the target, but the adjustments went all squirrelly on me just before Camp Perry. I have a Burris Turkey scope, a 5X BTR, which also has the circle-X reticle, which I am about to try.

Worry about reliability first, then accuracy. The 10/22s are usually not reliable with the more accurate ammo because the more accurate ammo is usually standard velocity. Lapua used to make a really accurate high speed, but quit. I've heard one of the German makers still does.

One of my 10/22 rifles still has some reliability issues with standard velocity Wolf Match Target if I don't grease the bolt a little. It probably hurts reliability in the long run, but helps in the short run.

You need a sling to shoot CMP Sporter. If you choose the 10/22, Uncle Mike's and others make a little spud that goes in the bottom of the stock band and gives you a front swivel.
Old 04-26-2012, 12:50 PM
Ron V.
NRA Member - Click Here To Join! GOA Member Appleseed Rifleman

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
If you are worried about the amount of time loading and reloading rounds into a tube fed gun, rest assured that there will be enough time for you to do so without being rushed. The beginning of every Rapid Fire segment before the Start command (to start shooting) is time for loading the rifles (but not chambering a round). Some folks do use tube fed guns (lever and semi-auto) at the match and extra time is given for them to load their guns. If there is a problem with loading, just indicate so to a range officer and they will hold up the start until you are ready.

Working the action of a bolt gun in any position and at any speed and still be able to get off well aimed rounds really is not a big issue. 30 seconds is really plenty of time. You just have to know your rifle through a lot of practice.

Using a bolt gun does have a slight advantage when you encounter a cycling failure. It is much easier to overcome and reload to get all 5 rounds off than a semi like a 10/22. Of the handful of times where I shortstroked the bolt, I have been able to recover by manually inserting a round into the chamber at least 50% of the time (CZ 452). (The times I was not able to recover were due to the loose round falling somewhere difficult to find like into the grass or I had some mental error like this past Saturday at a match where I lost count and cycled and (dry)fired an extra time before manuallt feeding the loose round.) All of the times I had a cycling failure with a semi, I was never able to recover due to the small ejector port openings. Ejecting the mag and inserting a loaded one can also be done with bolt or semi, but these take longer to process.

ME + TYPING = NOT GOOD