Notices

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 01-25-2012, 08:46 PM
Big-Dog

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Which Loctite for SR22 Pistol

Hi Folks,

I have a SR22 pistol on the way and was wondering what Loctite you recommend using for the barrel screw. I have always used blue on everthing else but since a threaded barrel down the road is not an option I don't forsee ever having a need to remove it easily. You think blue is still good enough or go with red?
Old 01-25-2012, 09:18 PM
marb4

TPC Rating: 
100% (5)
Definitely go with the blue (removable). You never know when you might have to remove the barrel for something down the road and you don't want to have to heat it to remove it. Blue should be more than adequate. My barrel screw was tight from the factory and hasn't loosened at all in nearly 500 rounds. Whenever you clean the gun just give the screw a quick check and you should be good to go.
Old 01-25-2012, 10:25 PM
bandolier

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by marb4 View Post
Definitely go with the blue (removable).
I'm wondering what temp the barrel gets up to under rapid fire. If its over 650F then red Loctite or Rocksett would be better. I've used blue for over 500 rounds though and its stayed put. Red isn't permanent btw, you just need to use heat to loosen it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-26-2012, 06:38 PM
1973Glenfield25

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by bandolier View Post
I'm wondering what temp the barrel gets up to under rapid fire. If its over 650F then red Loctite or Rocksett would be better. I've used blue for over 500 rounds though and its stayed put. Red isn't permanent btw, you just need to use heat to loosen it.
Wow, I think that would probably be hotter than an exhaust manifold on a hot day on the highway. If it got that hot it would burn you very badly. I'm thinking that steel starts to get red hot around 900 degrees. I'm not sure. But I'm pretty sure a 22 caliber pistol barrel would not get anywhere near that hot.
Old 01-26-2012, 07:21 PM
marb4

TPC Rating: 
100% (5)
A 22 barrel won't get anywhere near that hot (unless maybe you're running a 5000 round case non stop on full auto). For what its worth, if the screw is loose on your barrel maybe you could just tighten it, run it for a while, and see how it goes. I have a feeling that lock tite won't be necessary.