Go Back   RimfireCentral.com Forums > >

Notices

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 09-18-2011, 04:17 PM
Kid Dynomite

TPC Rating: 
100% (4)
What I learned about Glass...

Well a friend of mine who owns his own busniess just ruined me the other day. Here's what happened, he was telling me about the Swarski binoculars he bought and I told him there can't be that much difference ( for the price) in the glass to make that much difference, so we got them out and compared them to my Nikon's. (action series) Man was I wrong!!! The Swarski was 10x42 and my Nikon were 16x50 and there was such a difference in the two I almost felt embarrsed. The Swarski were so bright and clear I couldn't beleive it.
So I would say this same principle applies to scopes as well. I just hope he don't start comparing scopes cause I really have to start saving now for my first expensive scope purchase. Keep your powder dry and shoot often. Kid
Old 09-18-2011, 04:50 PM
Flintlock28
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (3)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kid Dynomite View Post
Well a friend of mine who owns his own busniess just ruined me the other day. Here's what happened, he was telling me about the Swarski binoculars he bought and I told him there can't be that much difference ( for the price) in the glass to make that much difference, so we got them out and compared them to my Nikon's. (action series) Man was I wrong!!! The Swarski was 10x42 and my Nikon were 16x50 and there was such a difference in the two I almost felt embarrsed. The Swarski were so bright and clear I couldn't beleive it.
So I would say this same principle applies to scopes as well. I just hope he don't start comparing scopes cause I really have to start saving now for my first expensive scope purchase. Keep your powder dry and shoot often. Kid
Comparing Apples to Oranges, when you have different magnifications....it is completely normal for the Swarovskis to be brighter...they have an exit pupil of 4.2 (42mm/10x)...versus a smaller exit pupil of 3.125 (50mm/16x) with the Nikon's.

Gotta have same Objective sizes and magnification to compare, otherwise the results are meaningless.
Old 09-18-2011, 04:53 PM
crankythunder

Burrokratic Republic of Michigan, Cubicle LVW-2a19d, Rock Number 3
TPC Rating: 
100% (4)
Hey kid!!!!

There is no arguments that the Swavorski Binoculars are increadible but they have a price tag to match. Far out of reach and beyond reason for the average hunter or the higher middle income enthusiast.

But......

Coming very close is the tasco offshore series of 7 x 50 binoculars, they compair favorably to the steiners, and are a cut above most of the other tasco offerings.

Not sure if they are still making them but you might want to consider this one:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/TASCO-OFFSHO...item5639010e8e

This one has a internal compass which is handy. I have a couple pair, the 54's (coated lenses for bright sun), the 36's which are better for the cloudy days, and a couple pair without the compass.

Check them out and if you do find a pair, let me know what you think when you take another gander through your buddies swavorski's. Its not the equal but its close at a affordable price.

Regards,
Cranky
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-18-2011, 04:59 PM
casper

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
I made the mistake of looking through a Swarovski scope. Eye will never be the same.
Old 09-18-2011, 07:48 PM

That Evil Admin Lady
TPC Rating: 
100% (23)
Money spent on good optics is never wasted.
Old 09-18-2011, 08:03 PM

TPC Rating: 
100% (66)
I agree with Flintlock...

Not to say that the Swavorski's wouldn't be better, but putting them against some Nikon 10x42mm binoculars would be better comparison. Also, 16x is a little harder to steady compared to 7x or 10x.

Just my opinion of course.
Old 09-19-2011, 12:09 AM
Al the Infidel
US Marines Disabled American Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I compared 8x Nikon to 8x Swaro and everything that makes top end glass the best, Swarovski is.
I stayed after dark a few times for 2 yrs watching this nocturnal 21" whitetail with these 8x56 to make sure the trail cam wasn't lying to me.
This is a big deer in these parts and was fat as a pig when others were rut worn thin.

Al~ he who shoots gay deer
Old 09-19-2011, 12:31 AM
NRA Member - Click Here To Join! UotM

TPC Rating: 
100% (74)
Send a message via AIM to Chaser
Bwahahaaaaa...Al..this is one of yer funnier ones "Al~ he who shoots gay deer"...sick man, and I like it.

Ski's are the real deal...can't top them..I just can't pay for them either.

I have a Bro-In-Law that has 2000 acres of paid for farm and equip...he throws his Ski's under the seat of his farm truck..makes me nauseated just thinking about it.
Old 09-19-2011, 12:43 PM
Lloyd S.
National Guard Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (12)
I made the mistake of looking thru a friend's Nightforce rifle scope awhile back. Big blunder--I then had to go home & throw rocks at my Weavers, Sightrons, Bushnells & Leupolds. Too bad I'm too poor to buy half a dozen Nightforces. All my scopes have big rock dents in them now.
Old 09-19-2011, 12:47 PM
timberbeast

TPC Rating: 
100% (39)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kid Dynomite View Post
I hear ya, Kid! There is nothing like great glass for any optics. When you scope a rifle, a huge part of your body's interaction with that rifle is through the scope -- it just makes sense to put good glass on a rifle. While I don't have a lot of top of the line glass, I do, whenever possible, buy good mid-grade glass from Sightron, Leupold, and Burris.

Cheap scopes just cheapen my shooting experience and strain my eyes.
Old 09-19-2011, 02:45 PM
vetsvette
US Air Force Disabled American Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join! GOA Member

TPC Rating: 
100% (19)
I would love a Swarovski or Nightforce scope. If by some stretch of the imagination (and credit line) I managed to acquire one, when I took it to the range I would be reduced to throwing rocks, because I wouldn't be able to afford ammo... or a rifle to put put on.
Old 09-20-2011, 09:32 AM
riggins
US Air Force Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (5)
Swaro's are the shiznit!

Wish I could afford a pair.
Old 09-20-2011, 09:54 AM
Sparks1954
US Air Force Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (2)
I moved to Germany soon after the Berlin wall fell. While visiting Berlin on vacation I purchased a pair of Russian made binos for $25 US. I liked the way they focused and they seemed bright enough. When I got home to my house in Machenbach I would watch the rabbits and such in the large feild behind the house at night. I thought nothing of it, aren't all binos this way. A few years later I was in Wyoming on a deer hunt, a friend asked to borrow them to look in the sage brush to spot a deer. He said holy cow, where did you get these. I replied, off the street in Germany. He said they sure put my Nikons to shame.

I think the Russians may have "borrowed" some of the techniquies from the high end manufactures.

I still drag them around on my 4 wheeler in WY, and they still work fine.

Sparks
Old 09-22-2011, 09:23 AM
sawman

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I had the hots for a Nightforce until I looked through a Schmidt & Bender PM II.
But like other folks.....just a dream.
Old 09-23-2011, 02:30 AM
deathwind II

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Not hard to read between the lines here: gov't-subsidized/tax-breaked business owners and the (once-poor) farmers are buying Swaro optics, while we who work for wages are fighting over closeout $200 Weaver scopes and discontinued $100 Bushnell bino's while worrying about when the factory's going to move to Red China and the increasing price of food. Oops, is that called "class warfare"? No more GOP for me.