Suhl History - RimfireCentral.com Forums

Go Back   RimfireCentral.com Forums > >

Notices

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.
Closed Thread

Old 01-16-2006, 07:41 AM
dbuckbee
US Army Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
Suhl History

I copied this some time ago, I believe from Markbo. Interesting as it gives some insight into the beloved Suhls.
My Suhl, which is original save for a glass bedding job I did, shoots good enough to compete with the best of them.
Also, Gary Mitchell, in Georgia, knows as much about Suhl's as any one. He's been a great help to me.

The following is a series of messages I have collected over the last year, enjoy:
Rick: The only source of Suhl target rifles, is Williams Precision Inc. He only customizes the original inported rifle, and doesn't build a brand new Suhl rifle. These are fantastic pieces of workmanship and you can thank Tim McWhoter for many of the improvements to the factory version. They are located in Stone Mountain GA, and the only phone number I can come up with, is 770-879-4000. These people are right next door to Jim Williams, if this is not his number. Give it a try. Fred J
Don: The model number should be in the action. All of my Suhl 150's are stampted "Model 150 Standard" w/ Made in GRD directly under it. This is located on the left side of the receiver. The Serial number is also located on the forward left side. It sounds like a good value proding nothing is broken. Parts are hard to come by. Fred J
To the best of my knowledge, Mr. Williams in Atlanta is the best source for Suhl's at present. He posted an ad in Precision Shooting 4 months ago and I believe, can also be found on the "for sale" section of this board. The Suhl's were imported by Davidson (stamped on the receiver). The prices quoted then were $850 for a wooden stock, $1200 for a Max Millan stocked, worked Mc Whorter rifle, $50 for the English scope mounts and $150 for a Hoehn-like tuner (actually has beter detent). I have one and am thrilled with it. I advised a clum member to get one. Yhey arrived in three days, with test targets and recommended tuner settings. No better way to get started. You can alwys get a custom barrel put on later by Chalfee and shot hat Harry Duneen is shooting (except you need his talent to win). Hope this helps. Bobnjax
Firstly Mr. Geography Teacher, I competed in the 1986 World Shooting Championships in SUHL, DDR. I went back twice for world cups in 1991 and 1992, after the wall went down. It is a small town about 100 km. south of Erfurt in the Thuringer region, south west of the ex-DDR.
Secondly Mr WBS, the Anschutz factory moved to ULM, West Germany in 1945, after the war. But between 1856 and 1945, the Anschutz factory was in Zella-Mehlis, which is about 4 km from Suhl. It is like a village attach to Suhl. The Suhl action is the generation before the match 54, it is the original match 54. Suhl have a wonderful weapon museum right downtown. The Suhl factory never, I repeat, NEVER made any rifles for the Russian or DDR Olympic team, NEVER. Since the early 60's russians, east germans and east block countries shooters used Vostok, Strella or Anschutz, NO SUHL...
The town of SUHL is mostly famous for the Merkel drillings and shotguns which had beautiful engraving and costed 10,000 $US and more...They are in fact more famous for the engraving work than the gunsmithing.
Yours truly, Dion
Please check any map you like.
Guns (as in rifles and shotguns) from companies like Merkel, Simson, Sauer and Haenel; to name but a few of the many well-known manufacturers in the town/region of Suhl, Germany; are commonly called plain "Suhl", reason being that they are all marked with the town name as well as the manufacturer's - e.g. "Simson, Suhl".
Anyone with the least bit of experience of European guns knows that.
-- Mats
I just read and earlier thread where some were speculating on when the Suhl 150's were manufacured. I think I can shed some light on the subject for those interested. I recently bought 9 Suhl 150 Standard rifles from a former distributer friend of mine. They were in storage and had never been sold or registered to a U.S. customer. All but one were missing pieces and I suspect this is why they were not sold. 1 was complete, new and came in a leather case with owners manual, sights, straps etc. 4 were only missing the trigger blade (I adapted a $10 Anschutz one to fit). The rest are missing the firing pin and shrouds. The serial numbers run from 0415XX to 0671XX. Most are near new or unfired. They all appear to be the same except 0415XX has a different crown and 0671XX is stamped Suhl 150-1 (-1 is different) on the reciever and it has a front sight base instead of grooves for sight attachment. The new rifle (Ser. # 0467XX) has a test target (Eley 10X ammo) dated (in German) 28.08.75 or August 28, 1975. This I believe is the approx. date it was manufactured. Also, 2 of the rifles have "match" stickers on the stocks, the most recent 1986. This is the appox. date I believe they were exported to the U.S. If anyone wants a photocopy of the test target, owners manual, or photo of the stickers or rifles, I would be glad to e-mail them to you. Hope this helps those interested.
Mr. WBS, you are partly right and I am partly wrong. True, the Suhl action-rifle was used by some members of the East German Olympic team and is still used by one or two German athletes. But those athletes are not shooters, they are biathletes. I was the head coach of the Canadian biathlon team between 1983 and 1987.
Suhl made a very limited series of rifle exclusively for the East German biathlon team where the action was activated by the pistol grip. Frank Ulrich used it in the 80's successfully.
Yes, the Suhl rifle was used by some olympic athletes (biathlon) but never, NEVER by pure shooting olympic athletes (prone 60 shots and 3-position shooting) in any olympics, world cups or world championships events.
Dion
Can one of you tell me whether the Suhl barrels are threaded or pinned?--thanks--John L.
Posted By: GTM
Pinned
Suhl is a region/city in Germany. The Suhl 150 rifle was made by the Merkel company after the wall went up and before the wall came down. It was sold all over the Eastern Bloc, and was used in Olympic competition by East German competitors and two still use these rifles. I believe (if I remember correctly) that the last of these rifles were made in 1992 and imported until the supply ran out. After that time, Merkel again began making the drillings and other fine rifles for which they are famous. This information was obtained from the equivalent of the Chamber of Commerce in Suhl.
Other information dug up on the Suhl 150 includes the orgin of the action. This information does not come from Suhl or Merkel but apparently Suhl was THE gun making area of Germany until the split. The old Anschutz factory was located there but moved to Ulm in order to escape Russian domination. So guess where Merkel got the design for the Suhl action. You guessed it. The action is apparently the original Anschutz 54 action, and the reason that Merkel will not resume making the Suhl (patent infringment, goodwill). That's the extent of my research into the orgin of the Suhl rifle and all in from excellent sources.

... and that's all folks!! AL
Old 01-17-2006, 02:57 PM
steve strauss
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (7)
Send a message via AIM to steve strauss
Great post ! Thank you very much.. Also, i have a suhl rifle marked-suhl 150 standard st-
Don't know what it means. but i got it with the original sites , leather case and original papers,etc.-Steve S.
Old 08-04-2006, 04:53 PM
CZ_Shooter

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Newest SUHL is 150-1 Standard (on the photo)

http://www.sidewinders.wz.cz/obrazky/suhl150_1.jpg

.. is existing something like SUHL 150-Extra?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-27-2006, 12:36 PM
GoGo

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
Thumbs up great post

Great info, thanks!
Old 08-27-2006, 09:54 PM
mistermike
US Navy Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Thanks gentlemen. Good posts on a great rifle.

Michael
Old 08-28-2006, 10:06 PM
nthe10ring

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Send a message via AIM to nthe10ring
Picture

Hey CZ,
Could you post that pic again, when it opens its only the top half of the gun, would love to see what the whole thing looks like.

nthe10ring
Old 08-28-2006, 10:21 PM
brad541thb

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Old 08-28-2006, 10:25 PM
nthe10ring

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Send a message via AIM to nthe10ring
Picture

Brad,
All that comes up is the top half of the gun, down to just below the sights, is that what you see?

nthe10ring
Old 12-28-2006, 03:38 PM
BrianJ
US Army Veteran

TPC Rating: 
100% (11)

GTM,

I don,t think I can go along with your patent infrigment/goodwill theory, nor the design from Anschutz as listed in the sticky.
In order to infringe you must have something similar in design to infringe upon, and nothing between Anschutz and the 150 are the same or even similar.

bjm

Last edited by BrianJ; 12-28-2006 at 07:00 PM.
Old 09-11-2007, 12:53 PM
white house
US Army Disabled American Veteran Law Enforcement Officer

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
J P Sauer & Sohn Drilling

This history by our rimfire forum is rich. I have a Drilling in 16 gauge (side by side) over the 7 X 57 R. The S x S has Improved Modified and Full choke patterns (actual) with 7 1/2, 8, 6, 4 lead shot. I apologize for bringing this into a rimfire forum. However, I need help on this and feel this forum of rimfire shooters gives accurate information. Any help is appreciated!
Old 05-25-2009, 11:40 PM
kyarcher

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I can't get the link to work.
Old 06-21-2011, 09:19 AM
Skjold
Veteran

TPC Rating: 
100% (4)
I found an article about the history of the Haenel and Suhl factories in an one year old gun magazine.

For those who are interessted, here the translation:
Quote:
Formerly C.G. Haenel
The "royal-prussian rifle inspector" Carl Gottlieb Haenel, who learned his trade in france and switzerland before, founded 1840 his rifle manufactury in Suhl. This also, so that military gunsmithes should be trained there, so that he got prussian contracts. Later, there were made hunting- and luxuryrifles as well. At the end of 1880s Carl Wilhelm Aydt was hired, whose Aydt-Drehblockverschluss (rotating block action - patent 1884) granted a secure income and an advantage in the marked for the next decades because it was in great demand for the sportingrifles and -pistols of this time.
Approximately in 1890 the production of bicycles were added to the "C. G. Haenel Waffen- und Fahrradfabrik" ("C.G. Haenel guns- and bicyclefactory").
In the 1920s, the connection between Haenel and the brothers Hugo Schmeisser and Hans Schmeisser created new models - at first a pocket pistol, designed by Hugo Schmeisser. After the brothers entered the company (1925), 1928 followed the modernized Schmeisser-Submachinegun (Maschinenpistole) "MP 28,II" and in the years of war the "Sturmgewehr 44" (assault rifle 44).

But also airguns (pelletguns) and rimfire rifles based on Hugo Schmeissers ideas.
After the end of war and re-comissioning of the remaining Haenel machine tools, a whole flood of name changes followed:
VEB Ernst-Thälmann-Werk (VEB = Volkseigener Betrieb, publicy owned company)
FAJAS (Fahrzeug- und Jagdwaffenwerk Suhl, vehicle- and hunting-guns company Suhl)
"Jagd- und Sportwaffen Suhl GmbH" (hunting- and sporting-guns Suhl Ltd) since 1989 until its insolvency in 1993.
After that, the traditional company (or what has been left over of it) was named "Suhler Jagd- und Sportwaffen".
The owner changed high-frequently.
1998 the company "Erma" (formerly Erfurther Maschinenfabrik) in Dachau was resolved and incorporated new in Suhl.
The rights of the worldwide known trademarks "Merkel" (Jagdwaffen - hunting rifles) and "Haenel" (Jagd- und Sportwaffen - hunting- and sportingrifles) remained in Suhl.

That also, when "Heckler & Koch Jagd- und Sportwaffen GmbH" became the new owner in 2004. Heckler & Koch itself was taken over in 2007 by Caracal International LLD of Abu Dabi.
Today, Olaf Sauer and Adrian Ayad are common managing directors of the still expanding Group.

Last edited by Skjold; 06-21-2011 at 05:59 PM.
Closed Thread