Notices

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 06-14-2011, 11:16 PM
Fasteel

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Long term storage of new CZ 452's

Hey guys and gals

I have just bought 2 brand new CZ, a full stock 17HMR and an American in 17HM2.
My question is if I intend to store these for a couple of years with out shooting them, should I leave the factory brown stuff in the barrel or should I clean it out and lube with another product?
Thanks FS
Old 06-15-2011, 03:42 AM
OFN
US Air Force Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
I would leave the factory stuff in. It is very robust and probably be your best bet for long term storage. That being said I don't think I could put a new rifle in storage without shooting it. You sir are made of sterner stuff than I am.
Old 06-15-2011, 06:46 AM
gmd1950
US Air Force Veteran Law Enforcement Officer NRA Member - Click Here To Join! GOA Member

TPC Rating: 
100% (29)
I'd be tempted to put a couple of RIG coated patches down the bore just for good measure, but I'm a belt and suspenders kind of guy when it comes to gun storage.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-15-2011, 09:09 AM

That Evil Admin Lady
TPC Rating: 
100% (23)
RIG on the metal, wax on the stock, though the wax is almost certainly overkill.... then again, what's wrong with overkill?
Old 06-15-2011, 09:32 AM
Sporter

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I have stored long term several of my military rifles that I cant get ATT's for any more by wiping down with Eezox. No issues with rust at all and the relative humidity gets high in my basement and would otherwise rust unprotected metal rather quickly. The factory brown gunk would probably work as well if you left it but its a bit of a chore to fully remove it and I like to get that out of the way so I could shoot them quickly if needed. With a dry patch through the bore, I'm good to go with the Eezox instead of the brown gunk.

This is a good test showing the effectiveness of various products...

http://www.6mmbr.com/corrosiontest.html
Old 06-16-2011, 01:34 AM
Fasteel

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sophia View Post
RIG on the metal, wax on the stock, though the wax is almost certainly overkill.... then again, what's wrong with overkill?
What is RIG?
thanks FS
Old 06-16-2011, 01:42 AM
DeadEyeDan
US Air Force Veteran

TPC Rating: 
100% (13)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fasteel View Post
What is RIG?
thanks FS
Rust inhibiting grease
Old 06-16-2011, 01:48 AM

That Evil Admin Lady
TPC Rating: 
100% (23)
Quote:
Originally Posted by DeadEyeDan View Post
Rust inhibiting grease
Available at fine stores everywhere... except when out of stock:

http://www.midwayusa.com/viewproduct...tnumber=748156

Old 06-16-2011, 09:07 AM
ZCORR Jay
RFC Sponsor
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

RFC Sponsor
TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
If you don't want to have to deal with messy greases you can try our zcorr bags. They use a vci anti corrosion inhibitor and depending on how often you in and out of them you can get anywhere from 5-20 years of protection out of them. What's nice about the bags over grease is they don't leave any residue so you don't have to clean the rifles before you use them. Optic can stay mounted as well.

We even offer reusable vacuum sealable bags

Take 10% off your order at http://www.zcorrproducts.com with discount code ZCORR-RIMFIRE

Take 10% off your order at http://www.zcorrproducts.com with discount code ZCORR-RIMFIRE

Last edited by ZCORR Jay; 06-16-2011 at 09:07 AM. Reason: discount code
Old 06-16-2011, 10:21 AM
timberbeast

TPC Rating: 
100% (39)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sophia View Post
A bit of work now can save a lot of heartbreak in a couple of years. RIG and wax.
Old 06-16-2011, 04:32 PM
M2HB

TPC Rating: 
100% (4)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Emmery View Post
I have stored long term several of my military rifles that I cant get ATT's for any more by wiping down with Eezox. No issues with rust at all and the relative humidity gets high in my basement and would otherwise rust unprotected metal rather quickly. The factory brown gunk would probably work as well if you left it but its a bit of a chore to fully remove it and I like to get that out of the way so I could shoot them quickly if needed. With a dry patch through the bore, I'm good to go with the Eezox instead of the brown gunk.

This is a good test showing the effectiveness of various products...

http://www.6mmbr.com/corrosiontest.html
That is what I would do. The only thing that would be better is the grease. The issue with the factory preservative is that you don't know if they coated the bore real well. The nice part about Eezox is that the firearm is ready to shoot the way that it is.
Old 06-16-2011, 04:49 PM
Steve in IN

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
I'd go with the Eezox, also.
Old 06-16-2011, 04:58 PM
1760GONG
National Guard NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (17)
Eezox is all I use.
Old 06-16-2011, 07:54 PM
gmd1950
US Air Force Veteran Law Enforcement Officer NRA Member - Click Here To Join! GOA Member

TPC Rating: 
100% (29)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZCORR Jay View Post
If you don't want to have to deal with messy greases you can try our zcorr bags. They use a vci anti corrosion inhibitor and depending on how often you in and out of them you can get anywhere from 5-20 years of protection out of them. What's nice about the bags over grease is they don't leave any residue so you don't have to clean the rifles before you use them. Optic can stay mounted as well.

We even offer reusable vacuum sealable bags

I've seen your ads but really haven't done much research, here's your chance to jump in and give us the low down on your product.
Old 06-17-2011, 08:09 AM
Sporter

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I too have seen these bags and was going to use them for my fishing gear but have wondered how the rust inhibitor affects things like finely finished wood or plastics? Any info on the actual properties of the chemical used?

If you have really humid wet conditions then a low wattage twisty bulb inside the safe (15-25 watts) works well at keeping the RH lower than the surroundings. Seal up any bolt and screw holes in the safe with electricians tape and weather stripping on the door.

Last edited by Sporter; 06-17-2011 at 08:14 AM.