Notices

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.
Closed Thread

Old 05-05-2011, 09:49 AM
rajb123

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Ammo purchase on Net: Prove your age

While shopping for ammo on the Net recently, I came accross one well-known retailer who requires purchasers to submit their drivers license to them, which must be on file, before any ammo purchases can be made.

I would never do this, would you? It seems like an invitation to have your identity stolen.

Ditto for things like voluntarily providing your social security number on NICs requests or any other document that is not a tax return, W-2 or bank account application.

The world is dangerous enough. Why take unneccesary chances?
Old 05-05-2011, 09:55 AM
gmd1950
US Air Force Veteran Law Enforcement Officer NRA Member - Click Here To Join! GOA Member

TPC Rating: 
100% (29)
I've had that request and submitted a redacted copy, number and street address well blacked out, they get my photo and a city only.
Old 05-05-2011, 09:58 AM
Wiz-of-Awd

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Easy to answer:

"No, I wouldn't do this."

As well, I would find a new online retailer. State or local laws may require this seller to try and acquire proof of age. Many (most) store fronts do the same thing as far as ammo sales are concerned - proof of age.

A.W.D.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-05-2011, 10:15 AM
timberbeast
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (39)
I've done it - the retailer is very reputable. You're right to be concerned, though. Every time I hand my debit card to a server making minimum wage at a restaurant I wonder if this is the time the number, security code, and expiration date are copied and used to steal from me.

Gerald makes a good point, though, redacting the street address probably a good idea.
Old 05-05-2011, 10:53 AM
rajb123

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Yeh, the retailer is probably very reputible since they have been in business for many years.

The problem is that this data that you provide to them is in some paper file, or on some computer or server somewhere and the retailer may loose control over it at some point.

A possible redaction of info was the first thing that I thought about when I saw this request. Blacking out the street address would not be my first choice, however. I would be more concerned with information like State ID#, issue date, expiration date, height, eye color, and signiture replication.

If I wanted to steal your identity, the info on a drivers license would be ideal.
Old 05-05-2011, 11:10 AM
Wheelgun Dunn
GOA Member Appleseed Member Appleseed Rifleman

TPC Rating: 
100% (4)
I found this annoying but not a real problem. I called them on the phone, they asked me what year I was born (I think) and said, "No problem, we'll release the hold and allow you to order, thanks for shopping with us." No big deal. They did not ask for copius amounts of info or written documentation etc. A lot simpler than I though. Good luck!

Wheelgun
Old 05-05-2011, 11:19 AM
noremf
US Army Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (2)
Prove your age

Quote:
Originally Posted by gmd1950 View Post
I've had that request and submitted a redacted copy, number and street address well blacked out, they get my photo and a city only.
ditto

noremf(George)
Old 05-05-2011, 11:29 AM

TPC Rating: 
100% (14)
I am permanently banned from a good local fishing web site for being paranoid because I removed my personal information including cell phone number that the site required for registration and made available to the public.

However I have no problem submitting a copy of my drivers license to a reputable ammo dealer or gun seller to verify my age. My name and address are the same as the shipping info. My birthdate and probably drivers license number are public record.

Last edited by Low Key; 05-06-2011 at 06:49 PM.
Old 05-05-2011, 04:31 PM
glocker17
Law Enforcement Officer NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (23)
The law in most every jurisdiction requires the seller to insure that the ammunition is not sold to underage individuals. I would want a govt doc to prove that if it was my store.

Just redact the info you are concerned about and send it in. Your personal info is already all over the WWW anyway. Hackers probably have a bigger target than fax copies of DL's I suppose.

Blake
Old 05-05-2011, 10:44 PM
M2HB

TPC Rating: 
100% (4)
Quote:
Originally Posted by gmd1950 View Post
Where do they send it?
I have orders sent to my friends gun shop but most folks have them sent to their house. I don't even keep much at my house, but it is a good idea to give them as little info as possible.
Old 05-06-2011, 07:28 AM
ZCORR Jay
RFC Sponsor

RFC Sponsor
TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
If your buying online and black out the address on the Drivers License couldn't they just get your address from the online billing section?

Take 10% off your order at http://www.zcorrproducts.com with discount code ZCORR-RIMFIRE
Old 05-06-2011, 08:06 AM
gmd1950
US Air Force Veteran Law Enforcement Officer NRA Member - Click Here To Join! GOA Member

TPC Rating: 
100% (29)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZCORR Jay View Post
If your buying online and black out the address on the Drivers License couldn't they just get your address from the online billing section?
Yes they can, you're basically just making it a bit more trouble for a thief, the folks I've had ask for ID have taken a pdf of it, none has complained of the redacting. If given the option I usually call in my order/payment but then you're still hoping the company and their card handling company are honest and don't get hacked and, and, and.. I use a separate account that is a debit card and has limited funds available plus contrary to what some have posted my bank backs my debit card for fraud just like a credit card.
Old 05-06-2011, 09:21 AM
chuckles
US Air Force Disabled American Veteran

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
Quote:
Originally Posted by timberbeast63 View Post
I've done it - the retailer is very reputable. You're right to be concerned, though. Every time I hand my debit card to a server making minimum wage at a restaurant I wonder if this is the time the number, security code, and expiration date are copied and used to steal from me.

Gerald makes a good point, though, redacting the street address probably a good idea.
My debit/check card never leaves MY hand. My wife had her card info scanned and stolen because a thieving scumbag had a scanner in her purse and she handed the girl the card and didn't keep personal control of it. FWIW the bank ate the losses, (4 $50 charges at a gas station within 1 hour of the theft), I always use a CC instead of my debit card. The retailer that requires the DL is reputable and the redacted copy is acceptable to them. I just make sure that the only thing on the license that is readable is my name and year of birth. I scanned the license, worked it over in my computer, changed numbers, deleted stuff, and emailed it to them.
As GMD says, my bank backs the debit as they do the CC but if something does go wrong, they will slap a hold on the account and the card is cancelled, requiring waiting for a new debit card. Use a CC with limited funds available to the cheats.

Last edited by chuckles; 05-06-2011 at 09:29 AM.
Old 05-06-2011, 01:50 PM
noremf
US Army Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (2)
Debit/credit cards

Don't have any credit or debit cards so I don't worry about that stuff. About 20 years ago I paid em all off and never looked back. Sometimes it is an incovenience but worth it.

noremf(George)
Old 05-06-2011, 03:16 PM
rajb123

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I am proud to say I have not had a credit card for 12 years! Credit cards are WFMDs - weapons of financial mass destruction. (Credit should only be used to purchase "secured" assets that have the potential to increase in value - e.g, homes.)

I only buy what I can pay for now. I use a debit card for most of my purchases, however.

If you want to protect a debit card if it occasional is out of your hands, you might redact the 3 digit number from the back so it cannot be used without your approval. The 3 digit number is requested on all electronic transactions; right?
Closed Thread