Go Back   RimfireCentral.com Forums > >

Notices

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 03-24-2010, 10:42 PM
Escbowhunt
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (5)

Here are a few pics of my new bench, I am thinking about a 2 inch thick concrete top later on.

Old 04-17-2010, 10:44 AM
rapidray

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
this is a perfect example of why this is a great web site

all the people here are willing to share information has to how they come up with there answers to common questions...and then provide pictures. It just doesn't get any better!!! I loved the walking cane one...just made me LOL. That , and I am in my 50's...maybe it will have double duty in the future...lol. All who have shared...thanks.
Old 09-10-2010, 11:13 PM
drifterfisher

TPC Rating: 
100% (7)
here is mine,its an old bunk bed with the post buried in the ground with 1/2" ply wood on top it now has a 2x6 on top stickin out to rest the but stock on and i have a "insta shelter" over it
Old 10-03-2010, 01:20 PM
wingspar
NRA Member - Click Here To Join! GOA Member

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Call me lazy, but this works for me. I mostly use it for a bench to place stuff on, but if I want to shoot off it, I set up over one of the saw horses, and itís more stable than you might think. It is made out of what I had laying around. 5/8-inch plywood framed around the edges with redwood. Folds up, and lays flat in the back of the pickup.

We put it to use as a bench rest just yesterday.

Old 10-19-2010, 03:43 PM
Ronborimfire
US Air Force Veteran

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Here's a bench i made for my wife out of scrap pallets from work, all-thread bolts and recycled nail screws from the same pallets. There is no cash outlay on this or the top i made for myself....until i buy the concrete blocks for legs. If i like that better, hers will get them too and i will find a way to make the tops removable for storage.
In the background you can see the style of pallet i used. The entire table was made with a 3 pound sledge for pallet "dis-assembly" nail straightening and reassembly, a claw hammer for nail pulling, a circular saw, a jig saw for cuts to avoid damage to parts not disassembled on the pallet framework, a straight edge, a tape measure, a hack saw for the all-thread, a brace and 3/8 bit and two 5/8 wrenches.... and no plans. There is a 3x4 brace under the short sections of 2x8 that is not visible in these pics. The bench is very stable and the legs can be angled forward and back about 2-3 inches at ground level for additional stability, with the all-thread bolts easily loosened and re-tightened.
Oh..yeah, i'm new here....sorry...lol.

Hers i made a little "cuter" with the angled corners here and there and a short 30" height custom fit to her. Mine will be a height of 32" custom fit for me (we are short people...she is 4'11" and i am 5'7" )...here is just the top of mine. i am working nights this week and haven't made it to the store for blocks yet..but i will!

The pallets carry several 900 pound coils of aluminum strip for armored cable manufacture...they are very stout wood..2x8 slats and 3x4 frames. Oh, i also used a hand mitre saw to make some cuts here and there without damaging parts that were attached to each other. Total thinking out the design and how to use the pallet with minimal demolition, demolition, measuring, cutting parts and bolts, etc and reassembly for the 2 units was around 3 leisurely hours. I brought seven pallets home and found the best ones, clearest pieces, etc..it took a bit of figuring. I also found out...duh...that pallet manufacturing is not a carpentry form where exact measurement matters much..so getting parts to fit with minimal deconstruction of the pallet was time consuming. I will make some target stands of the remaining pallets and post pics of them sometime later.

I will probably also make stools form additional pallets as there is an endless supply free for the asking...why we have to ask, i'm not sure. there is paperwork and everything to get this free stuff, but it's well worth it..

Here's my 581 on my cat litter, sock and sticking cap shooting bags, on Pam's table. The wood really soaked uup the first coat of paint, so it will get at least one more coat when it gets a little nicer out this week when i'm off to swing shifts.

Today after work i got some cinder blocks..here's the preliminary result. I love it.

Thanks for looking.

God Bless!

Ron

Last edited by Ronborimfire; 10-21-2010 at 12:01 AM.
Old 10-20-2010, 11:23 PM
BoxMaker
US Air Force Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Here is my bench I just finished using some legs from an old folding table that was warped and ready to be thrown away.

Old 01-17-2011, 10:16 AM
mkane

TPC Rating: 
100% (9)
Quote:
Originally Posted by cnelson181 View Post
Here's the one I just did.

Found the plans here http://www.horstguns.com/ShootingBench.htm and modified them a bit to fit me better.

I had some of the lumber and "discovered" most of the rest at Home Depot in a cart marked "Culled Lumber 80% off." I have about $40 into it.

Craig N...
Thank you very much
Old 01-17-2011, 10:34 AM
cnelson181
US Air Force Disabled American Veteran

North of Steve & Don, South of Al & Joe, East of Sophia & Swiss, West of Gerald & JEE
TPC Rating: 
90% (9)
No problemo,

Since then, I have installed a patio umbrella to protect my delicate skin, and a little holder on the right side to hold rifles not in use. I set mine on 4 old disk rotors from my truck to stabilize it also.

Craig...
Old 01-17-2011, 09:32 PM
mkane

TPC Rating: 
100% (9)
Today I sunk the 6x6's in the ground 2' deep as this is for the rest of my life. Can't wait to finish it up. I'll have enough room for targets out to 150yds with a mountain as a backstop.
Old 01-18-2011, 09:12 PM
mkane

TPC Rating: 
100% (9)
The top comes next. All made from stuff down in the barn.
Old 01-19-2011, 07:44 PM
mkane

TPC Rating: 
100% (9)
Finished today and shot a few rounds. Used pieces of wood and a bag of shot for support. Shot some tight 4 shot groups, but that doesn't count. I can see where this is leading.(different stock) And it was a bit windy.(flags) I need a scope w/finer crosshairs. Thanks for the plans.

Last edited by mkane; 01-19-2011 at 07:48 PM.
Old 02-22-2011, 05:53 PM
mkane

TPC Rating: 
100% (9)
Finished. Thanks for the ideas. This baby's not going anywhere. That's the 50yd. target. It's about 150yds. up at the top. When I put targets up there I do it by the dozen. I also need a few flags. All those piles you see are from hogs. They probably have 10 acres of my place rototilled. Kinda like em' around, fills the freezer.

Last edited by mkane; 02-22-2011 at 06:11 PM.
Old 06-20-2011, 09:23 PM
Oldgringo

TPC Rating: 
100% (4)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ahshucks View Post

Built this with a slab of glued up 1" pine strips for the table top and heavy water pipe for the legs. Very solid result.

http://www.aeroaces.com/bench1.htm
I just, like yesterday, completed this bench rest. I cheaped out and used 1" dia. pipe legs rather than the spwecified 1-1/4" legs, I also used 3/4" plywood rather than the specified 1" plywood.

I'll give it a go tomorrow. It may need some stiffening if I'm gonna' shoot those tiny little bitty CZ groups that everybody else shoots with their CZ's.

Great and timely threat!

Last edited by Oldgringo; 06-20-2011 at 09:27 PM.
Old 08-31-2011, 09:34 PM
Metaleer
NRA Member - Click Here To Join! GOA Member

TPC Rating: 
100% (13)
cnelson181
Thank you for the idea of putting it on old rotors - great idea!
Metaleer
Old 09-01-2011, 01:29 AM
cnelson181
US Air Force Disabled American Veteran

North of Steve & Don, South of Al & Joe, East of Sophia & Swiss, West of Gerald & JEE
TPC Rating: 
90% (9)
No problem.. Glad I could help.. I'm sad though. We bought a new house and I'm not able to shoot at the new house. I hauled the gun bench up to my buddies. At least it will get some use..

Sent from my DROID3 using Tapatalk