Go Back   RimfireCentral.com Forums > >

Notices

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 11-23-2008, 02:42 AM
mschatterbox

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I am a girl and I like to shoot.

Put about a 100 rounds in my CZ today. First visit to an indoor range. I shot at 35 yards and expermented with diffent ammos to see what me gun likes.

Old 11-23-2008, 02:46 AM
mschatterbox

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)

Old 11-23-2008, 02:47 AM
mschatterbox

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-23-2008, 08:24 AM
LDBennett
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
mschatterbox:

Here's a tehnique and some numbers to compare your shooting, gun and ammo combinations to others' combinations:

First, the "standard" range to shoot at is 50 yds for 22LR but for just comparison of your own combinations, any range is OK. But the longer it is the bigger the dispersion of shots and the easier to see the better combination.

You shoot five or more five shot groups and average them for group size. Measure each group from center to center of the farthest separated shots.

To get you out of the picture shoot rested on a bench, both front and rear of the stock (not the barrel). Control your breathing and gun hold as per the books on good shooting techniques.

I have two very accurate 22LR Target rifles. The most accurate I have is an entry level Anschutz silhouette rifle based on the Model 64 action. It will shoot 3/8 inch average groups all day long. I have a Volquartsenized 10/22 I built and it will shoot 1/2 inch average groups all day long. My CZ452 in 17HM2 will shoot 1/2 inch averaged groups all day long. Others here get group sizes to equal this or even better with the same or better guns but my results are repeatable.

If you follow the above you can get a better picture of how you and your gun/ammo combos are doing compared to others. Your group sizes alread look pretty good but good documentation and notes keep you from having to repeat testing you failed to universalize.

Welcome to the shooting sports. Please try to get more of your girl friends invovlved. Sell it like bowling or golf; that is, comparison of scores. We need more women into shooting!

LDBennett
Old 11-23-2008, 10:19 AM
JetGirl

TPC Rating: 
100% (2)
Quote:
Originally Posted by LDBennett View Post

Welcome to the shooting sports. Please try to get more of your girl friends invovlved. Sell it like bowling or golf; that is, comparison of scores. We need more women into shooting!
Yeah, that!! ^
Old 11-23-2008, 12:23 PM
mschatterbox

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by LDBennett View Post
mschatterbox:

Here's a tehnique and some numbers to compare your shooting, gun and ammo combinations to others' combinations:

First, the "standard" range to shoot at is 50 yds for 22LR but for just comparison of your own combinations, any range is OK. But the longer it is the bigger the dispersion of shots and the easier to see the better combination.

You shoot five or more five shot groups and average them for group size. Measure each group from center to center of the farthest separated shots.

To get you out of the picture shoot rested on a bench, both front and rear of the stock (not the barrel). Control your breathing and gun hold as per the books on good shooting techniques.

I have two very accurate 22LR Target rifles. The most accurate I have is an entry level Anschutz silhouette rifle based on the Model 64 action. It will shoot 3/8 inch average groups all day long. I have a Volquartsenized 10/22 I built and it will shoot 1/2 inch average groups all day long. My CZ452 in 17HM2 will shoot 1/2 inch averaged groups all day long. Others here get group sizes to equal this or even better with the same or better guns but my results are repeatable.

If you follow the above you can get a better picture of how you and your gun/ammo combos are doing compared to others. Your group sizes alread look pretty good but good documentation and notes keep you from having to repeat testing you failed to universalize.

LDBennett

Thank you very much. I will give that a try. It is nice to have my Own gun. I really want to figure it out.
Old 11-23-2008, 12:33 PM
mschatterbox

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by JetGirl View Post
Yeah, that!! ^

Starting them early is the key.
Old 11-23-2008, 12:34 PM
JetGirl

TPC Rating: 
100% (2)
Quote:
Originally Posted by mschatterbox View Post

Starting them early is the key.
Heehee!! Get that girl some Hogue grips!
Old 11-23-2008, 01:38 PM
Clem-E

TPC Rating: 
100% (9)
My baby is an artist! Im glad you got to do some more load testing and put some rounds through the tube of your rifle baby. I bet that after that barrel gets seasoned its gonna shoot z-row!
Old 11-23-2008, 01:45 PM

That Evil Admin Lady
TPC Rating: 
100% (23)
Woohoo! Pretty nice shooting

Lemme see... let's say your CZ is capable of 0.5" groups at 50 yards using good ammo. At 35 yards we should be looking for 35/50 = 0.7 ---> 0.7*0.5" = 0.35" = 8.9mm ~ 9mm... n'est-ce pas? If so, you can use that as a guide for comparing what your getting vs what might be possible.
Old 11-23-2008, 08:33 PM
forrest r

TPC Rating: 
100% (5)
Looks like your getting some very good groups! Keep getting trigger time in, go slow & enjoy yourself. Gotta luv that feeling when you shoot a group & it's a little bughole.
Old 11-23-2008, 10:38 PM
midwest swiss

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Sure looks like some nice shooting......mschatterbox

I introduced my two daughter the fine art of shooting a at the age of 8.
My oldest daughter 20 years old now still enjoys it & is a very good shot.
Now my youngest daughter could careless but will come to the range.
We have a father daughter range day once or twice a year.

The main thing is to have fun

Last edited by midwest swiss; 11-23-2008 at 10:41 PM.
Old 11-24-2008, 11:29 PM
T191032

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
35 yds, indoor. Cool.

Nice shooting there! Do have fun!