.17hmr - Page 3 - RimfireCentral.com Forums

Go Back   RimfireCentral.com Forums > >

Notices

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 11-26-2007, 01:54 PM
bluethumb

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)

I don't own a .17 HMR yet, but a guy who works for me has one. He used to be a .22mag fan for any rimfire hunting. Now he uses his .17 only and says there is nothing like it. He's not a target shooter, only small game up to groundhog sized animals up to about 100 yds. and some plinking shots. He loves it. By the way, I once saw some kind of scientific study that said a bullet's speed is not what makes it wind resistant, but the rate at which it slows down. I'm not sure what that means, but I guess somebody does. I'm gonna get a .17 soon.
Old 11-26-2007, 02:30 PM
gene starr
US Army Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (225)
Quote:
Originally Posted by sIox View Post
You need to learn how to shoot with your keyboard. When you finally get around to shooting your Hummer, make sure the wind is gusting 5-10 mph and try to shoot at 200 yards or more. This will tell you all you need to know about all 17s, centerfire and rimfire. The Hummer is a great round and I love it but in the wind.............well, you will see.
Maybe this is one thing I was referring to in the first place.
Old 11-26-2007, 02:39 PM
gene starr

TPC Rating: 
100% (225)
17hmr

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ole' Man River View Post
And you can keep your opinions to yourself, also. If I took pictures of every long shot that I have taken and then posted them here would you believe then that it is possible and the norm to make shots like that. Maybe in W.Virginia it isn't the norm, but in the western United States it is. Having fired over 100,000 rounds of .17HMR since it's introduction is enough experience to know. How many .17HMR barrels have you shot out ? 3 here. One Lilja barrel went south after 40,000 rounds. The rifle shown in the picture above is now on it's 3rd barrel. It's 2nd barrel went south after 17,000 rounds. You get experience from the application of doing something, not thinking about it.
Read my signature.....
Ole' Man River you are my hero. 100,000 rounds. WOW. How many critters did this amount to?
100,000 rounds, heck I haven't even shot my gun yet let alone burned out a bbl.. I guess I better start making up for lost time.
Old 11-26-2007, 05:03 PM
too_pointer
US Air Force Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by gene starr View Post
I don't want to start anything here but I read a lot about the accuracy ( or lack of) with the .17 HMR. One must understand that ballistically speaking you couldn't have a worse bullet. This is like shooting a BB with a point on it. Read up on sectional density and ballistic coefficent and you will get the idea.
I sure don't know where you got your information I belong to
4 different rimfire sites, and the .17hmr has been the best calibur to come along in a long time. It seems to be accurate out of many different makes of rifles. I sure would like to hear where you read about accuracy ??
too_
Old 11-26-2007, 06:33 PM
Smokingun

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
apples and oranges people. how can you compare a rimfire to a centerfire. The .17 is the top of the line for rimfires. Plain and simple. Ballistics nothin. It shoots very straight and hits hard. So what if it drifts in the wind. What doesnt.
Old 11-26-2007, 06:37 PM
gene starr

TPC Rating: 
100% (225)
17hmr

Quote:
Originally Posted by too_pointer View Post
I sure don't know where you got your information I belong to
4 different rimfire sites, and the .17hmr has been the best calibur to come along in a long time. It seems to be accurate out of many different makes of rifles. I sure would like to hear where you read about accuracy ??
too_
4 different rimfire sites? I guess that makes you an expert. I only read about accuracy on RFC.

I think most people missed the whole meaning of my original thread. I did not, in any way, try to deminish the performance of the .17HMR.
Old 11-26-2007, 10:22 PM
Al the Infidel
US Marines Disabled American Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Gonna be a looong winter Gene. Shoot the dern thing and post lotsa pix SOON.
Won't need flags here, snow's flying now.
Old 11-27-2007, 03:15 AM
Tuck2
Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I live in prairie dog(pd) country and have shot them since 1949 when I was given a 22 LR. For clean kills I used the 22LR out to 60 yards and the 22 WMR for shots to about 125 yards. The idea was to controll the pd population so shots were taken at any body angle. I got a 17 HMR and a 17 HM2 when the rifles first came out. I now limit my shots with the 17 HM2 to 80 yards and the 17 HMr to 150 yards. The litttle 17 grain V-Max bullet still has about 100 ft/lb energy from the 17 HM2 at 80 Yds and the 17 Gr bullet has 100 ft/lb energy when fired from the 17 HMR at 150 yds. Thats about the same energy as a 22LRPP 40 Gr bullet has at 65 yards. A pd pup weighs about 6-8 oz when they first come out in the spring and by late fall the pds are up to 1 1/2 to 3 pounds so the little rimfire 17s and 22s work fine for the ranges that I limit myself to. Past the 150 yard range a center fire varmint is used. This past spring I got a 17 Fireball. The 20 Gr v-max bullet ( B.C. = 0.185, with a MV of 3950 ft/sec has about 100 ft/lb energy at 500 yards but my longest shots has ben at about 275 yards. When zeroed in at 200 yards the bullet drops about 5 inches at 300 Yds so my shots will be limited to the 300 yard range with the Fireball. For shots past 300 yards I ll use a .204 Ruger and a 220 Swift. Every rifle bullet has its limits where it will no longer make a clean kill so why try to make them into something they are not??
Old 11-27-2007, 01:49 PM
too_pointer
US Air Force Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by gene starr View Post
4 different rimfire sites? I guess that makes you an expert. I only read about accuracy on RFC.

I think most people missed the whole meaning of my original thread. I did not, in any way, try to diminish the performance of the .17HMR.
Did say I was an expert ? I wanted to say that I cover lots of ground in those sites, so I hear pretty much everything, good or bad. I have my own
.17hmr also. Too bad this post has gone south. I apologize if my reply has offended anyone. The more opinions by the most people is worth listening too.
too_
Old 11-27-2007, 03:36 PM
Smokingun

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Do you buy or dont buy a car just going off what it says in a Car and Driver magazine. No you test drive it. Well test drive the .17. IF YA DONT LIKE IT DONT BUY IT. Plain and simple!!!!!
Old 11-27-2007, 05:12 PM
gene starr

TPC Rating: 
100% (225)
Unhappy 17hmr

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smokingun View Post
Do you buy or dont buy a car just going off what it says in a Car and Driver magazine. No you test drive it. Well test drive the .17. IF YA DONT LIKE IT DONT BUY IT. Plain and simple!!!!!
I think the car world and the gun world are two different worlds. Yes, I drive the car first but the dealer says that if I want to shoot it I have to buy it. Plain and simple.
Old 11-27-2007, 07:02 PM
Smokingun

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
your tryin to tell me that you dont know a single person that owns a .17.
Old 11-27-2007, 08:03 PM
Al the Infidel
US Marines Disabled American Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Al the Infidel View Post
Gonna be a looong winter Gene. Shoot the dern thing and post lotsa pix SOON.
Won't need flags here, snow's flying now.
bump
Old 11-28-2007, 05:03 AM
troublemaker_42
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I've had the pleasure of shooting a LOT of rifles in my 30 yr life, everything from a bb rifle to a .375 mag.....and out of all of them, I'd say my 917 vsf marlin is THE MOST ACCURATE of all of them. I won't pretend I'm the world's greatest shot, or that I have any more experiewnce than the next guy here, but I can ROUTINELY put 5 shots into one hole at 50 yards with this rifle, and I've put no more than 250 rounds thru it thus far (just got it in Oct). Now, I've shot one hole groups at 50 yards with other rifles, but this one does it EVERY SINGLE TIME that I do my part (no shooter-induced fliers). This is with a factory trigger, an no other modifications other than the addition of an APV. If the .17's are "inherently inaccurate" someone forgot to tell my rifle, my dad's Henry, or just about everyu other .17 HMR I've encountered. By and large, I've yet to see a round thats consistently as accurate at the .17.
Old 11-28-2007, 06:36 AM
gene starr

TPC Rating: 
100% (225)
17hmr

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smokingun View Post
your tryin to tell me that you dont know a single person that owns a .17.
I do own a .17HMR and I plan on shooting it soon especially after reading all the posts that this thread generated. It is 17 degees here to day so it might be a while before I get to the range.
I don't know anyone who owns a .17.