Notices

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 07-17-2007, 10:01 AM
sparkyjan14
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
weighing ammo?

I was reading on here about you weighing ammo and you guys say it is defenitly worth the effort.

Is there a certain weight that the ammo should be or are you just seperating the non average weight bullets from the ones that are about the same?

Also what is a paco tool and what does it do?
Old 07-17-2007, 11:23 AM
recumbent
US Army Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (8)
http://www.leverguns.com/store/acurizer.htm = Paco Tool

IMHO weighing ammo is a waste of time but some swear by it.

Just buy better ammo is my solution.

But if you must try it what you are doing is really sorting the ammo into groups by weight.
Old 07-17-2007, 12:13 PM
505Gibbs

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
recumbent has pretty much hit the nail square on the head. THe higher cost brands of rimfire are 'generally' going to be more weight consistent - that's part of the cost - consistancy at the source.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-17-2007, 05:44 PM
farm boy
US Air Force Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Just what does the total weight tell you? Is it heavier because of the bullet, the powder or the case? When handloading a centerfire you have the opportunity to weigh each individual componet. In rimfire all you can do is get a total loaded weight. May help some but is it worth the effort. I don't think so. Just buy better quality ammo.
Old 07-17-2007, 09:16 PM
dustoffer

TPC Rating: 
100% (12)
I asked for some advice on sorting .22 ammo by rim thickness on a benchrest forum, and the advice I got was to buy good ammo and sort it by weight. They said it wouldn't make a "one-hole shooter" out of most ammo, but would help eliminate the flyers. I tried it with Federal Gold Medal Match which my .22 likes the most, and it did indeed cut down on the number of flyers.
Old 07-17-2007, 09:59 PM
firestar45

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
Quote:
Originally Posted by dustoffer View Post
I asked for some advice on sorting .22 ammo by rim thickness on a benchrest forum, and the advice I got was to buy good ammo and sort it by weight. They said it wouldn't make a "one-hole shooter" out of most ammo, but would help eliminate the flyers. I tried it with Federal Gold Medal Match which my .22 likes the most, and it did indeed cut down on the number of flyers.
Of course it will cut down on flyers in your mid grade ammo, with your higher price ammo, Eley EPS, Tenex, and the Lapua Midas and Master, there are no flyers to worry about.
Old 07-18-2007, 09:31 AM
Snake45

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Send a message via AIM to Snake45
I just bought an electronic scale and am thinking of weighing a few boxes of Fed 510 Champs to see if I can eliminate the annoying flyers I get with them. If I do this, I'll post test results.
Old 07-18-2007, 10:43 AM
Passinby

TPC Rating: 
99% (69)
Send a message via Yahoo to Passinby
Used to do that with PMC scoremasters. Biggest difference was 1 grain in about 15% of the cartridges. I still got flyers.
Old 07-18-2007, 05:25 PM
Labguy
US Marines Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (6)
Quote:
Just buy better quality ammo.
Especially with .22 LR, this is the only solution to be certain of consistent loads; primer, powder, bullet and case; all at the same time. You could be out shooting instead of weighing.

You can Weigh or Pay.........

Then, the cheaper, weighed ammo still will fly astray.
Old 07-18-2007, 05:41 PM
randymac

TPC Rating: 
100% (21)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snake45 View Post
I just bought an electronic scale and am thinking of weighing a few boxes of Fed 510 Champs to see if I can eliminate the annoying flyers I get with them. If I do this, I'll post test results.
just for the heck of it, i did sort acouple box's of 510 last winter. had light and heavy plus some that where way out. any how i took them indoors and tested them thru my turbo, i saw no difference what so ever. even the ones that where way light or heavy had the same point of impact.

Randy
Old 07-18-2007, 09:17 PM
randymac

TPC Rating: 
100% (21)
i agree that the primer or powder are what cause the bottom to fall out of a shot and your not going to find that by weighing them. i have some SK that is really good, i don't have to worry about the bottom falling out, now i have other lot# of the stuff that i can't trust. this ammo seemed to have more issue's early this year when it was still fairly cold. i could be shooting a target and have a round sound soft and every time the shot would drop low and be a nine. this same ammo is way less likely to do this now that it's hot out and that makes me think it's ignition that's the problem with fliers. my advise to the ammo sorter's is still the same, test untill you find a good lot# and buy lots of it.

Randy
Old 07-18-2007, 09:19 PM
Snake45

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
MKnarr, as the old Indian told Josie Wales, "There is iron in your words." What you say makes enormous sense, and I believe you've done what you said with the results reported.

But just since I got this new toy anyway, I'm still gonna weigh one box of 510s just to say I did. Please don't take it personally. And when I come back and report you were right, please don't "Neener neener" me, okay?
Old 07-18-2007, 09:51 PM
earthdragon090

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
there is a really good article in this months shooting times "ultimate guide to precision" about this very subject now the author is using a .22 WMR for his testing .I tried to find a link to the article but failed ,what the author finds is that it MIGHT help it might not he saw more improvement with measuring rim thickness then he did with weighing the ammo alone
if you get a chance to pick it up good read at lots of other articles on accuracy
earth
Old 07-19-2007, 07:13 AM
Snake45

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by MKnarr View Post
I'm the range manager for a local public range and pick up about 150 live 22LR rounds a month. Some are FTF and on the ones that have a good firing pin indentation, I pull the bullets. Many have no primer at all while others are missing the primer where the dent is. (Of course the ones with no primer are not fliers.) Many are bulk Remington and Federal but there were some Win Xperts and one CCI and 2 Remington 22 Target that I had in the Mark III.

Jim
This year I've had a rash of FTBs (Failure to Bang, which I use to avoid confusion with FTF Failure to Feed). Just about every range session I shoot 100 rounds of Rem GBs through my Ciener 1911 and it's very rare I don't have one FTB in that 100, sometimes I have two but seldom more. I always recock the hammer and have a second go at them and they almost never go off, which means there's no primer in that spot. I don't try these in a second spot as it's just not worth my time and frankly handling once (or twice) stricken .22s gives me the willies. Last week I put 135 rounds of the Rem GBs through my Jager AP-80 (AK lookalike) and was shocked that there was not one single malf of any kind in the whole string. Two weeks before in a similar exercise I'd dumped at least four FTBs out of the AP-80.

I've always considered Fed Bulk to be reliable (if not particularly accurate) but late runs in the red box seem to have a high percentage of FTBs in several of my guns. I recently put 500 rounds of Fed Bulk and Win Xperts through a 6" Colt Diamondback and was getting about 7-9 FTBs with both brands in each 100. When this would happen I'd hold the trigger back, recock the hammer (without the cylinder rotating) and hit them again and every single one went off on second strike, which means that there WAS some primer in that spot. Firing pin hits with that gun were light. The mainspring in that gun seems a bit light. It has a lovely, light DA trigger pull--when it fires. I think I need to replace the V-mainspring in it.

My .22 P.38, which has a light Colt 1911 mainspring in it, will usually give 2-4 FTBs with Fed Bulks in each 100 shot. I recock and retry these. I think about half of them go off second time, the other half not.

The Fed Bulks have also been giving me one or two FTBs in a 10/22, which is unusual.

Of the Fed 510 Champs that I'm interested in weighing, I think I've only had ONE FTB with those in a bolt action (out of maybe 2000 rounds fired), that was last year in my 77/22. It didn't fire with repeated hits in same spot, and wouldn't extract and I had to knock it out with a cleaning rod. The extremely low FTB rate with these leads me to believe that the vast majority of them ARE primed all the way around.

Many of my flyers with the Fed 510s in accurate bolt guns are either high or low, indicating velocity variation.

I'll let you know if weighing makes any difference.
Old 07-19-2007, 07:22 AM
earthdragon090

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
just pointing out some reference material didn't say I was doing it .when shooting groups I am using wolf MT ,ME or SK plus ,when plinking ,walmart federal bulk is good enough for me when hunting CCI mini mags
earth