Savage B 22 Reliable ? Reasonably Accurate ? - RimfireCentral.com Forums

Go Back   RimfireCentral.com Forums > >

Notices

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 11-13-2019, 10:49 PM
garysmith

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Savage B 22 Reliable ? Reasonably Accurate ?

I am a lefty and the B22 in 22 Lr in LH could be a fit for me . What is the general opinion on this rifle ?
Old 11-14-2019, 06:54 AM
GladesGuy
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
It got a hell of a good review two years ago on the TTAG site, but I don't think it has sold very well for some reason. The accutrigger is really a great feature as the one on my Mark II is one of my favorites and combined with a Ruger 10/22 magazine should make for a great rifle. Savage barrels are great by the way.
Old 11-14-2019, 08:21 AM
Clem-E

TPC Rating: 
100% (9)
i love mine. im a lefty, but bought an fvsr for the threaded barrel. gotta keep the chamber clean, but it goes longer than my old mkII FV did before needing cleaned. i really like mine, and im a cz/anschutz/10/22 guy. i have been looking at that lefty you are looking at as well. i may buy one for NRL base class.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-14-2019, 10:13 AM
B22G
NRA Member - Click Here To Join! GOA Member

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I have the B22G and am very happy with it. Keep the chamber clean and it runs great. No problems feeding from the rotary mag.
Old 11-14-2019, 10:43 PM
garysmith

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Thanks folks I appreciate the Info
Old 11-14-2019, 11:46 PM
DaveInDenver

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Like my A22 a lot! No experience with B22 however. Got the A22 because of the trigger and rep for "out of the box" accurate (no need to go down the endless optional upgrade path like the 10/22).
Old 11-15-2019, 06:32 AM
hoechst62

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Got a B22 FV, for the price point very good gun .
I shoot HV ammo out of it and it groups well .

I like the rotary mag easy in easy out.
Old 11-16-2019, 12:04 AM
Dahsira

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I'll throw my hat in the ring. My B22 FV-SR is a smidge less accurate than my Mark II FV, it is may just be an ammo preference I haven't sorted out yet though. It really isn't a huge difference but it is there. Having said that.... The last time I shot groups with it was 1600 rounds ago. Perhaps the barrel has settled down since then.

Reliability wise it blows my Mark II out of the water. I am about 2000 rounds through the barrel so far. No feeding issues. Zero. Had a single failure to extract after 500 or so rounds, put on the second spring clip and have not had a single failure since. I chased the same problem with my Mark II and ultimately fixed it with the second spring clip so I didn't waste any time fixing the B22. There have been about 10 total instances of the shell extracting but not clearing the chamber. This may have been a result of where my rings were set up. Haven't been able to test out that hypothesis yet.

The stock is synthetic but it is pillared with two action screws. I have both my screws torqued to 40 inch pounds without any ill effects. The barrel isn't free floated. This is easily resolved by removing the screw in piece on the forend under the barrel and sanding down the underside of it so the ridge is gone and screwing it back it. Gives you all the clearance needed to free float the barrel completely.

Performance wise in competition. This thing SHOOTS! I taken it to two Outlaw Precision Rimfire events. 2nd place finish in production, 3rd overall. 3 days after I bought it. 1st place in production and overall a month later. Take that all you open class guys! Just did a Mapleseed (Canadian Appleseed) with it at the beginning of November and was able to score 226, 237, and 238 on the three qualifiers. Good enough for top score among participants. Crappy weather, hovered around freezing all day. Not a single issue mechanically.

Absolutely love it cannot say enough good things about it. This was all done shooting CCI SV ammo. The magazines have a little trick to loading. Basically you get the rim under the edge and lever it down so it moves the insert inside the mag. Hard to explain but there are videos that show it. Get that technique down and it's no problem at all to load 300+ rounds in a day with gloves on in the cold.

Do the forend fix along the spring clip fix and you'll have an incredible accurate, reliable shooter for very low $$.
Old 11-17-2019, 09:40 AM

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I really like mine I cleaned it really good b4 first use but I had a few extraction issues within the first 100 rounds not alot but a few. After that first 100 though I dont think I have had any more in the next 400-500 rounds and I have shot some junk ammo thru it really dirty stuff and no issues. Accuracy is great from what I have seen but I'm not a bench shooter every shot I take is free hand or braced off the side of a tree. No mag issues and after you get the hang of loading it and breaking it in loading is a breeze.

Sent from my LM-Q710.FGN using Tapatalk
Old 11-17-2019, 01:56 PM
B22G
NRA Member - Click Here To Join! GOA Member

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I had some extraction problems early on but now I rarely have any. I think all the parts have worn in sufficiently and that's solved the problem. I really like this gun.
Old 11-18-2019, 08:59 PM
Buckeye Chuck
US Air Force Veteran

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Send a message via Yahoo to Buckeye Chuck
I have had my B22 since Feb and really like it. I'd say it is just as accurate as my CZ 455. I use it for Rimfire Sporter matches with the CMP and fun shoots at club. Mine likes CCI SV and SK standard plus.
Old 11-18-2019, 11:23 PM
Magnum357

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I’m looking at the lefty model for my son. He just started 4H rifles, and has outgrown his Marlin 15y. He can use my Marlin 795 since we only have one more practice for the winter, but, it’s time for him a new rifle. I’m the one coaching the county 4H rifle team, so, I may try to find him a Savage FVT left hand. If not, then, then a B22, without upgraded sights.
Old 11-19-2019, 10:31 PM
garysmith

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Thanks to all ! I am going to get one !