Red Dot on a SR22 - RimfireCentral.com Forums

Go Back   RimfireCentral.com Forums > >

Notices

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 11-13-2019, 05:02 PM
Carrij
US Air Force NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Red Dot on a SR22

I put a FF3 on my wifeís SR22 early last year and she loves it. I also have one on my Mark IV and it has helped my 73 year old eyes tremendously. A close friend of mine also has a SR22 and this summer I bought him a red dot and mounted it for him. I had surgery on both hands in May and just started shooting again last week. My friend has been going through radiation and chemo so he has not had a chance to take his gun out until yesterday.

It was a comfortable day, sunny and in the mid 80ís so we went to the range to sight in his red dot. At 15 yards his first magazine was low by about three inches and left by two inches. I adjusted elevation first with the second adjustment bringing it up to the center line. One adjustment on the horizontal had him close to the center of the bullseye and one small tweak and we had it nailed. The field we were using was already set up for the nights steel challenge so we started shooting the steel. The red dot on my Mark IV is a 3moa but the one I got for him is a 6moa, perfect for plinking and steel. We both ended up going through 400 rounds, enjoying the sound of ringing steel.

If youíve been thinking about adding a red dot to your SR22, all I can say is do it! It is a fun gun to start and with a red dot itís a blast to shoot. Joe
Old 11-13-2019, 06:18 PM
danatkins

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
What mount

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk
Old 11-14-2019, 08:47 AM
Carrij
US Air Force NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by danatkins View Post
What mount

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk
On my wife’s I used the one from Galloway Precision but I cut off the uprights to have a flat mount.

On my friends I used the one from Ade advanced optics as it was already flat. On both of these I also used UM Tactical delrin shim. All of these are available on Amazon.

The reason for the tapered shim is because if you really sock the mount down, the front will dip and you either run out of vertical adjustment or be at the very end. When I did my wife’s I followed the video from Galloway Precision that said not to over tighten. It moved. I called them and they said sock it down and add the shim. My wife’s red dot has been on for over a year and once sighted in it has not needed any further adjustments.

Last edited by Carrij; 11-14-2019 at 08:51 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-14-2019, 10:18 AM
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I used the Galloway and cut off those silly uprights like Carrij did. I made my own shim and installed a Burris FastFire III Red dot. This setup did wonders for my accuracy with the little pistol which wasn't great at all before the addition of the red dot.