Browning BL 22 - Page 2 - RimfireCentral.com Forums

Go Back   RimfireCentral.com Forums > >

Notices

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 11-12-2019, 09:32 AM
Electraclyde
US Army Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)

Thanks for all comments. I am located about 60 miles from William's fire sights and plan on driving down to them to see and discuss my options. I cannot use red dot sights due to astigmatism which shows up as 2 or 3 dots. While at my club shooting gallery, another member showed up with his BL22 with skinner sights on front and rear. He had a very tall, brass front sight that he had painted red. I did not care for that. Hopefully William's will have a fiber optic or gold bead tal enough. We shall see.
Old 11-12-2019, 09:55 AM
sandog

TPC Rating: 
100% (5)
Williams makes a FireSight that is .570”, that might be the tallest they make.
Skinner sells them too, down towards the bottom of their front sight page.
I’m sure you could get one from Brownell’s or Midway as well.

Be advised though, you might need to get creative to get the Skinner peep low enough.
I found I could take the aperture out, turn the post down another 180 degrees, and then put the aperture back in.
You can also get an extra turn out of it but you might need to grind some off the bottom of the post then clean up the threads.

If you still need to lower the peep, the shoulder will have to me altered, as that will limit how far down the post will go.
Old 11-16-2019, 03:58 PM
Electraclyde

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I live about 60 miles away from Williams Gunsight in Davidson, MI. Yesterday I took a ride there to look at sight possibilities. I came away with a dovetail mount rear peep sight Part #1481 (WGRS) a .250 front sight riser part # 13053, and a fiber optic front sight # 56438, .450 height. Installed them last night and went to the range today to sight in. Windage was right on and the elevation was about 1" low. Made an elevation adjustment and am now shooting dead center at 15 yards. (I always sight open sights at 15 yards) Looking things over, I still have room to move elevation up or down as needed for different ammo or distance. A thumbs up to Brian at Williams Gunsight for taking the time to measure things on my rifle and calculate what I would need for front sight height.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_20191116_153210918.jpg (464.2 KB, 5 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_20191116_153048233.jpg (475.7 KB, 4 views)
Old 11-20-2019, 03:19 PM
tbates66
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Bought a new BL-22 Grade II and shot one box of shells through it. Did not like it at all so sold it quickly and bought a Marlin Golden 39A. Now I'm happy.
Old 11-20-2019, 05:43 PM
drewerts

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
What did that setup cost? I like it and with my old eyes,
it would be a big assist.
Old 11-21-2019, 09:34 PM
sandog

TPC Rating: 
100% (5)
The WGRS receiver sight is pretty affordable, around $40. It is made of aluminum.
I think the Skinner looks better, is all steel, and is a lot lower, so you don't need such a high front sight. But the Skinner is closer to $100.

I have the WGRS peep and FireSight front combo on my Nylon 66. I think the WGRS is easier to adjust, but would be easier to be knocked off if you don't really crank those little screws tight.
The Skinner, once adjusted, seems like it will stay where you want it and never move. It uses Allen head screws, instead of the tiny screwdriver you'll need with the Williams.

One other thing worth mentioning is that the Williams WGRS will mar the top of your receiver. Once slid on your dovetail the sight secures with a hex screw that goes straight down and hits the top of your receiver. It will mar the receiver. You can hit the area with some touch up blue if you remove the sight, but that small mark will still be there.

The Skinner is split along the back of the base, and to secure the sight on your rails, there is a horizontal set screw that when tightened, draws the split closed.
This method is more secure and doesn't mar the receiver.

Last edited by sandog; 11-22-2019 at 06:51 AM.
Old 11-23-2019, 07:34 PM
Electraclyde

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by drewerts View Post
What did that setup cost? I like it and with my old eyes,
it would be a big assist.
I have $76.00 and my time invested. I have been back to our shooting gallery two times since changing the sights. They are perfect for what I needed/wanted.
Old 11-23-2019, 07:42 PM
Electraclyde

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by sandog View Post
The WGRS receiver sight is pretty affordable, around $40. It is made of aluminum.
I think the Skinner looks better, is all steel, and is a lot lower, so you don't need such a high front sight. But the Skinner is closer to $100.

I have the WGRS peep and FireSight front combo on my Nylon 66. I think the WGRS is easier to adjust, but would be easier to be knocked off if you don't really crank those little screws tight.
The Skinner, once adjusted, seems like it will stay where you want it and never move. It uses Allen head screws, instead of the tiny screwdriver you'll need with the Williams.

One other thing worth mentioning is that the Williams WGRS will mar the top of your receiver. Once slid on your dovetail the sight secures with a hex screw that goes straight down and hits the top of your receiver. It will mar the receiver. You can hit the area with some touch up blue if you remove the sight, but that small mark will still be there.

The Skinner is split along the back of the base, and to secure the sight on your rails, there is a horizontal set screw that when tightened, draws the split closed.
This method is more secure and doesn't mar the receiver.
I have directly compared the William's set up I have with the Skinner set up on another members BL 22, and we both agree, the William's set up is not as tall as the Skinner, however we did not measure them.
The primary reason I went with the William's set up is I was able to drive to their location and enlist their help in determining the correct front light set up. Did not need to order a rear, install and shoot to see where POI would be and then order a front sight. That is how Skinner wants it done.
Old 11-24-2019, 05:11 PM
drewerts

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Electraclyde View Post
I have $76.00 and my time invested. I have been back to our shooting gallery two times since changing the sights. They are perfect for what I needed/wanted.
Thank you.
Old 11-24-2019, 09:51 PM
jpickar

TPC Rating: 
100% (3)
My son wanted one about 20 years ago. I had to do some work to the sear so it would function properly. He shot lots of gophers with that gun. It is a vaery sold gun.