Go Back   RimfireCentral.com Forums > >

Notices

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 10-31-2019, 12:14 PM
xXDarkside13Xx

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Looking for 17HMR scope advice

I'm in the market for a scope for on a 17HMR. I recently got an ISSC straight-pull bolt action chambered in the 17HMR and I've got a Savage 93 in the 17 also, so whatever I get may eventually migrate its way to the savage, depending on how the ISSC shoots.

I'm looking something for small game and target shooting (nothing too serious in that regard, though I'd like something reliable as far as adjustments go). 40mm objective preferably. Tube size, I'm good with either 30mm or 1". Magnification range, I'm open on. 3-12, 4-16, whatever, though I'd like something a little compact, so like 10-40x stuff is pretty well out the window.

I'd like to try a BDC reticle calibrated for the 17, but as it's a pretty flat shooting cartridge, the reticles seem pretty crowded out to practical ranges for the cartridge. So, I dont know if I should just go with a plain reticle, a 17HMR dedicated BDC type of deal, or something like a bushnell BDC 200 and just tack the info into my ballistics app (strelok).

What's out there? Whats good? Whats junk?
Old 10-31-2019, 12:38 PM
rc.

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
It's always a game of size vs magnification with scopes. What do you want more? If you want to shoot really small 100 yard groups on a windless day, you might be wise to get a 4-16x weaver V16. But I honestly don't spend that kind of money for hunting. For me a 3-9 or 4-12 kills squirrels out to 100 yards and beyond without a lot of trouble. Nikon has some nice side focus models you may want to look at. The cartridge is pretty darn flat so unlike 22 LR the ballistic plex is not really needed at practical shooting rangers. I don't find the 17 hmr very useful past about 130 yards because wind and my own movement makes hitting stuff an iffy proposition. Inside 120 and a steady rest will more often than not result in a good hit. rc
Old 10-31-2019, 12:53 PM
RCGuy50

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
You need to narrow down your definition of use before picking a scope. What is the budget? What are the minimum and maximum distances you will shoot? I was in your shoes. The 93r17 received a Cabelas 17hmr caliber specific rimfire 3-9 scope. Regularly $100, on sale for $50. The clarity is fine at 50 yards, not so clear at 200 and the color starts washing out.turrets are good enough for rabbits but too vague for precision targets. It is in par with the BSA sweet 17.

The second HMR got a Vortex Diamondback HP 4-16. Very clear and bright colors at 200 yards. Precise hits over 200 yards are easy with a bipod on a calm day. Turret adjusments are much more defined, amateur target grade. Any Vortex will be a couple ounces heavier than the competition as they are heavier build to match their no questions asked warranty. I went with a standard v plex reticle for this scope, keeping the sight picture clean on squirrels at long range.

Last edited by RCGuy50; 10-31-2019 at 01:00 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-31-2019, 03:13 PM
Fatso50
US Marines Veteran Law Enforcement Officer

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
Burris Fullfield ii 3x9, on a Savage. Had a leupold but sold it ,wanted to try the Burris. Have leupold on most rifles but the Burris is really nice, about equal to VX2. Works great on a hunting rifle, not so much if target is the main use for the rifle.
Old 10-31-2019, 09:12 PM
coloradokid
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (2)
Check out Burris Timberline, awesome scope. Ballistic pled reticle can be used for many calibers.
Old 10-31-2019, 09:42 PM
Hobbiest

TPC Rating: 
100% (5)
Budget is real important before any recommendations. Im with rcguy50, the diamond back hp is very nice. I had one on a hmr and it was perfect. No longer made though but can be had on eBay. 250.00 is a good price. I got mine on clearance new for less and couldn't have been happier.
Old 11-01-2019, 01:35 AM
Signalman

TPC Rating: 
100% (12)
Hey Darkside sir I would suggest getting a 4-16x scope for two reasons:

the 4x on the low end will help you follow running game you run across and it's a great magnification for off hand shooting.

two when you need the up close and personal touch you can crank it up too what ever you feel and if you get into some long range stuff 16x on the top end will do pretty good...most of my 17hmrs have either a 4-16x or a 6-24x but trying to follow game at 6x can be a pain.

Not matter you have gotten some good suggestion here...if you could find a Weaver Grand Slam 4-16scope with the Varmint EBX reticle in it...those rock but they are way above your price range...but the reticle is to die for in my opinion.

Good luck on your quest.

Signalman
Old 11-01-2019, 02:29 AM
SavagePlinker

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Trijicon 2.5-12.5 Accupoint on my 17HMR. Not cheap but you live only once, and there is no other scope quite like it:

[Note: the squirrels were napping -- no squirrels were harmed in the making of this photograph]
Old 11-01-2019, 07:02 AM
Hobbiest

TPC Rating: 
100% (5)
What's out there? Whats good? Whats junk?[/QUOTE]

My personal opinion is aside from maybe a few select ones from nikon that if its made in china its junk.
Old 11-02-2019, 12:24 PM
varmit hunter67
US Army Veteran Law Enforcement Officer NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
For What Its Worth

I have a Mueller APV 6x18 AO on my Savage 93 .17HMR. It performs admirably on my .17. No complaints. The price was within my range. Pigeons and starlings out to 120 yd.s are DRT as long as I do my part. And it is my 3rd Mueller scope that I have purchased. I also have 2 4x14 AOs. One is on a CZ 452 and the other is on a Zastava. I have a Hi-Lux 4x14 x 44 mm side adjust AO on a Savage MKII2g. It is probably the least accurate of my .22s, but that does not mean it is a slouch. I can still go 1/2" at 50 yd.s with it.

I guess my sleeper is a BSA Sweet .22 that I bought years ago and put on my CZ Silhouette. It has been basically a zero and forget it scope. I really need to shoot it more often. It was the first of my 2 CZs. I bought it the same day as my MKIIg. The Savage had been on order from Bass Pro, and I stumbled on the Silhouette at a LGS while on my way to BP to pick up the Savage. I hadn't intended to by two on the same day, but I had been watching the Silhouette and the store had dropped the price $10.

More recent purchases have been a Nikon 3x9 x 40 EFR target dot AO on my Browining ATD, and an Oculus 3x9 x 40 side adjust AO on a Zastava .22WMR and a Nikon P223 3x9 x 40 on another Zastava .22.

I would definitely recommend an AO on your .17. With the higher magnification, dialing out any parallax is a definite plus in down range accuracy.

VH
Old 11-08-2019, 06:57 AM
Texcl2

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Here’s a cheaper option not made in China but Korea (I’m assuming south lol)......

https://www.cdnnsports.com/bushnell-...l#.XcVX5iVMElQ
Old 11-08-2019, 08:20 AM
Jbfuller
Fire FighterEmergency Medical Technician NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Send a message via AIM to Jbfuller
I have a savage as well. I put a Simmons 22 mag scope on it temporarily however it has not let me down so it will be staying.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 11-09-2019, 04:52 PM
Cotay

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by xXDarkside13Xx View Post
I'm in the market for a scope for on a 17HMR. I recently got an ISSC straight-pull bolt action chambered in the 17HMR and I've got a Savage 93 in the 17 also, so whatever I get may eventually migrate its way to the savage, depending on how the ISSC shoots.

I'm looking something for small game and target shooting (nothing too serious in that regard, though I'd like something reliable as far as adjustments go). 40mm objective preferably. Tube size, I'm good with either 30mm or 1". Magnification range, I'm open on. 3-12, 4-16, whatever, though I'd like something a little compact, so like 10-40x stuff is pretty well out the window.

I'd like to try a BDC reticle calibrated for the 17, but as it's a pretty flat shooting cartridge, the reticles seem pretty crowded out to practical ranges for the cartridge. So, I dont know if I should just go with a plain reticle, a 17HMR dedicated BDC type of deal, or something like a bushnell BDC 200 and just tack the info into my ballistics app (strelok).

What's out there? Whats good? Whats junk?
I picked up the same rifle in June in the polymer version on closeout from ATI. I haven't mounted it yet, but I have a spare Sig Sauer Tango 4 4-16x44 FFP that is going on the rifle once I complete my move from California to Idaho in a few weeks.