Go Back   RimfireCentral.com Forums > > >

Notices

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 07-27-2006, 08:18 AM
chim
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)

I believe the accuracy differences between models are pretty minimal if any. I have had standard models that shot great. Differences in triggers, grips, etc. will affect how much you will be able to put the barrel's accuracy to use.

The pistols with factory ribs that I like are the 5.5 Target (or Field) and the Contour. I prefer the rib to be of the longer type, so the optics can be fastened securely to the rib out ahead of the rear rib-mounting screw. I don't think that all the models you lisetd had ribs that would accept optics. Have a look again. The Bullseye is only a few ounces heavier than the 5.5's and Contour, but it feels like all 3 extra ounces are at the muzzle. If you shoot a lot, you could probably get accustomed to it.

Buck Marks in the safe include an older Varmint, a couple 5.5 Targets, Bullseye and a Contour. I should note that the Contour didn't have the overtravel screw ihn the trigger when I got it. Not a big deal to add one if you're handy................chim
Old 07-27-2006, 02:56 PM
rusty22

TPC Rating: 
100% (4)
ernie,

you're finding out that it's not "as easy like the good old days" when it comes to purchasing a new firearm in cali. it's not impossible, just alot more hoops and involves spending more money than before. luckily for you with your $650budget, you should be able to find something that'll make you happy that's still within your budget!

as far as gun stores go, unfortunately, i no longer frequent them as often like in my younger days. i'm one of the lucky ones that "got started" early with the shooting sports and was able to purchase "most" of my gear back in "the good old days" when buying a .22 pistol did not require a $650 investment.

sidenote:a good amount of my purchases were at B&B Sales (N. Hollywood). i had a chance to visit them a couple times after the "infamous north hollywood bank shootout" occured. the guys there had a blast re-telling the story of how they brought out new crates of ar/car-15s to the parking lot in order to arm the lapd. my buddy and i even used the atm one time at that b of a to get cash for a purchase at B&B. sorry if i wander off-topic. it's just so easy to stroll down memory lane 'cause alot of fond memories involved a trip down to the gun store.

back to topic: with the price of gas these days, i would advise you to find the closest dealers/stores to you who have the exact model you're looking for and for a price that fits your budget. unfortunately, there are not too many independent "mom & pop" shops anymore and because of this, prices (which are often high) are usually firm. if you find a shop with a FRIENDLY & HELPFUL staff, you might even cosider requesting a "special order". just make sure you discuss all aspects of the purchase and get it in writing and take names.

lastly, as mentioned previously by chim, i also assume that the accuracy difference is very minimal between the BM variants. i've spent many days at the local range "infuriating" my shooting buddy by pointing out the fact that i was "outshooting" him (with his $400 ruger mkII government competition) while i was using my $185 buckmark standard. i look forward to doing this for many more years to come and i'm confident that i'll still be doing this with my $185 buckmark (1990).

good luck in your search and let me know if you need any more help with anything. maybe i'll run into you at the local range. just look for a guy with 16 year old buckmark, sitting next to a guy with a $400 ruger mkII government competition. i'll be the one with a big grin across my face!!!

-rusty22
Old 07-27-2006, 03:25 PM
rusty22

TPC Rating: 
100% (4)
just re-read my post and for clarification's sake, i'm not bashing rugers. if you look up my posts, you'll see that i own quite a few of them. did not want to wait for all those ruger mark II loyalists and die-hards to reply to this with a buckmark vs. mark II attitude. relax, i own both!

peace,
-rusty22

Last edited by rusty22; 07-27-2006 at 03:32 PM.
Old 07-27-2006, 09:26 PM
neeande

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Chim, rusty22, TOU,

Thanks for all the info! I will try to locate a gun shop with more than the Buck Mark Standard model so I can compare them for balance and comfort. A friend called to tell me he came across an ad for a gun show in Glendale, on 8/12 through 8/13, so I will check it out at 9:00 AM when they open.

I would like to be able to put a red dot on the pistol without having to re-sight it every time I clean the pistol. Hopefully the place I wind up getting it from will let me know if it's doable.

If anybody has a recommendation for a particular red dot scope they like, please let me know. I looked at the Hakko panoramic on the web that M2HB and cstuard recommended. I'm still interested in the advantages of the ones in the tube shape compared to the single lens type like the Hakko (don't know the official terminology of the two types).

rusty22, except for the High Standard target pistol I got from a store called Pony Express in Encino (in the early to mid 70's), all my guns were from B&B sales. What an amazing store that was!

Thanks again!!!
Ernie
Old 07-28-2006, 03:06 AM
rusty22

TPC Rating: 
100% (4)
here's my set-up...

for quite some time now, my buckmark standard sports a weigand combat scope mount and an older series tasco (before they went under) pdp5. it's a 35mm diameter "tube" with 4 different dot size settings and 11 brightness / intensity settings.

before the tasco, i had an earlier series BSA 30mm 4 moa red dot which also worked out well for quite some time. since it was an earlier series, it only had 7 brightness/intensity settings. it worked fine for the indoor range but even on the highest setting, i had a hard time seeing the dot on bright sunny days when shooting outdoors.

i also have a "tubeless" sight on one of my centerfire handguns. the sight is the tasco optima which is now sold under a new name, jpoint. as far as advantages for this particular sight, it would come down to weight and size. i have never mounted it on a .22 pistol so i can't comment on that configuration. i've always felt that the added weight of the "tubed" scopes helped steady my hands with my 22 pistols.

last thing, when it comes to buying red dot sights, i've always preferred the ones that use SEPARATE scope rings for several reasons. the main reason is adjustability and customization. there are quite a few red dot sights with "INTEGRAL / INTEGRATED" mounts. i've found that you have more control on where you place or how you mount the red dot when it uses separate rings. this can be an issue because cross slots on different mounts have different spacing.

another reason i'm a believer of separate scope rings is brittle crossbolts. there's nothing more frustrating than snapping brittle crossbolts when trying to secure your red dot down on your base. it's no big deal if you snap a crossbolt on a scope ring. just replace the ring. it becomes a bigger job when this happens on a red dot with an integral mount. this normally involves calling the mfr. and asking them to send you spare crossbolts, if they're even available. even if they agree to send you spares, it requires waiting a couple days for the package to arrive. what do you do if you end up snapping a crossbolt the day before a planned day out at the range? with separate scope rings, you can make a quick run down to the store and grab some off the shelf and still go shooting as planned. just something to consider.

last thing, since the mounts/bases are secured down using countersunk machince screws, the mount/base does a very good job of re-locating itself after it is re-installed after routine cleaning and maintenance. i've never found it to be a big deal.

here's pic of my buckmark with the tasco pdp5 35mm on weigand combat base:

http://www.jesseshunting.com/forums/...howtopic=91615

-rusty22

Last edited by rusty22; 07-28-2006 at 01:15 PM.
Old 07-28-2006, 08:43 AM
chim

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
Quote:
Originally Posted by rusty22
....an older series tasco (before they went under) pdp5. it's a 35mm diameter "tube" with 4 different dot size settings and 11 brightness / intensity settings..........

-rusty22
At one time I really liked the PDP5's. I bought one, then saw them on sale and bought two more. A bud liked them too, so I sold him one. All three have since failed. The two I have lost the elevation adjustment. I think his has the same problem. When these failed, I went with the Ultradots. No problems with them..........chim
Old 07-28-2006, 01:15 PM
rusty22

TPC Rating: 
100% (4)
hey chim,

how long were your PDP5's in service? i've had mine for a couple of years now and no problems, so far. would you mind explaining more when you say they lost their elevation adjustment? were there any "telltale" signs that you noticed before they failed that i should be looking for?

i bought mine on a whim when i saw it on sale for $70. if it goes bad, no big deal.

-rusty22
Old 07-28-2006, 05:09 PM
chim

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
If I recall correctly, they went mebbe a year or so. I couldn't tell you the number of rounds, which would be more informative.

I don't remember if it was the "UP" or "DOWN" that went bad. At separate times, both needed some elevation adjustment. I went a few clicks, then a few more, etc. until I ran out of adjustment. The elevation simply couldn't be adjusted.

The only sign of any problem was they began shooting either high or low for no reason. It was a shame, because I did like them. The current Tasco will stand behind some of the dots / scopes as long as they have a date code. They both have something that may be the date code. I've been meaning to check and see if they'll do something for me................chim
Old 07-28-2006, 09:22 PM
neeande

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Hi chim, rusty22,

When I find the Buck Mark that fits me, I will look into getting an Ultradot scope. Is the one I would want for target or bullseye shooting the Matchdot with the 2 MOA dot? That one seems like it might be the most versatile.

Rusty22, thanks for the link to your Buck Mark, you do very nice work.

Thanks,
Ernie
Old 07-28-2006, 10:08 PM
chim

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
Ernie, here's a place a lot of shooters won't agree with me. I prefer the regular Ultradot Four with the larger dots. I seldom use the smallest one (4MOA?). Many times it's easier for me to run the bigger dot, and go for an "eclipse" sort of sight picture. If I use a very small dot, I tend to put too much effort into the shot.............chim
Old 08-02-2006, 08:14 PM
cstuard

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Here is a nice website that has a good explanation of the different size dots.I even like their sights but haven't bought one yet.
http://www.cmore.com/diode.html
Old 10-17-2019, 10:51 AM
rhytonen
US Air Force Veteran

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I 'll be trying https://outerimpact.com/shop/brownin...-mountadapter/ with an ADE Red dot (no picatinny adapter needed, puts the RD too high IMO; )

or even the new Meprolight FT Bullseye from OpticsPlanet.
You can currently get that cheap ("Sphinx" model, Red $66!
other models, like "Glock," cost more -
if you NEED Green, "Rem1" is the 'cheapest' at around $93; )

since with the Outerimpact rail, you don't care what dovetail base it comes with- You won't be using it.

Two screws actually mount the sight into the dovetail that the gun (in this case the "Sphinx" whatever that is..) uses,
but the sight's two screw holes *should*match two of the many threaded holes in the Outerimpact Rail..

I'll let you know when I get them.

Last edited by rhytonen; 10-17-2019 at 11:14 AM. Reason: detail
Old 10-18-2019, 05:09 AM
sandog
US Army Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (5)
Neeande, you probably didn't know this as you are fairly new here, but there is a Browning pistol forum, you posted in the Browning rifle forum.
Maybe the mods can move the thread for you.
Old 10-18-2019, 07:41 AM
JHB51

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Also you are the first poster in this thread in 13 years.
Old 10-18-2019, 08:25 AM
sandog
US Army Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (5)
Congratulations, rhytonen ! I think 13 years might be a new record !