Go Back   RimfireCentral.com Forums > >

Notices

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 10-08-2019, 05:59 PM
Ceapea
NRA Member - Click Here To Join! GOA Member

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)

The radioused mount is a B-Square part...see package and part number. The bag contains two each of the part shown.
The other pic is the UTG part.

https://www.opticsplanet.com/b-squar...lue-17025.html

https://www.ebay.com/itm/NEW-B-Squar...-/173389748001
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0348.JPG (470.5 KB, 4 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0356.jpg (216.7 KB, 4 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0347.JPG (344.4 KB, 4 views)

Last edited by Ceapea; 10-08-2019 at 06:06 PM.
Old 10-09-2019, 10:24 PM
sandog
US Army Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (5)
Even though I had to do a few minutes work to dish out the bottom of the UTG adapter, I like the UTG better than the B-Square shown, as it keeps the sight a bit lower.
I hate throwing the rifle up to my shoulder, then having to scoot my head up a bit to see the dot.
Old 10-09-2019, 10:27 PM
sandog

TPC Rating: 
100% (5)
dustoffer, I measured the factory front sight on my 66 and it is .625", and the Skinner sight you talked about has a height of .550".
I was all set to order one, but if it is even lower than the factory I don't think it will help me. What range are you sighted for with yours ?
Old 10-10-2019, 12:32 PM
dustoffer

TPC Rating: 
100% (12)
sandog--here's a pic of my front sight setup---the post itself measures .420" and I think you can get them and the bases in different heights to meet what you need. Base attaches with a single screw in the same hole as the original sight.

And, thanks for asking the question because when I took the picture, I discovered the screw was loose and the base was wobbling around. Easy fix--remove the post, crank down the screw, replace post. Got to go verify zero, but that isn't work but fun.

Old 10-10-2019, 01:13 PM
sandog

TPC Rating: 
100% (5)
I’ll have to look at the Skinner website again.
The only single screw sights I saw are the Bear-something-or-the-other (fixed .550 high blade available in brass, steel or white stripe), and a Marbles base that has a fixed fiber optic tube. Neither of those has a dovetail to fit a different height sight into.
The one you show would be great, as I could change the height until I find the right one.
Did it come with a screw, or did you have to buy one separately ?
Old 10-10-2019, 06:03 PM
dustoffer

TPC Rating: 
100% (12)
sandog--been too many years since I bought it---can't remember whether or not it came with a screw, or used the original Remington screw.

Might also try Brownell's as they have a big variety. Talk to one of their customer reps---they are always helpful.

https://www.brownells.com/rifle-part...amps/index.htm
Old 10-10-2019, 07:48 PM
Ceapea
NRA Member - Click Here To Join! GOA Member

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by sandog View Post
Even though I had to do a few minutes work to dish out the bottom of the UTG adapter, I like the UTG better than the B-Square shown, as it keeps the sight a bit lower.
I hate throwing the rifle up to my shoulder, then having to scoot my head up a bit to see the dot.
I just put the mics to the both of them. From the top of the “dovetail” cut (bottom of the mount) to the top of the mount/bottom of the sight, there is .130” difference. Not really worth moving the head up. More of a tilt of the head or an eye shift. Same cheek weld.
I like to modify a lot of things to work with some other purpose, I do it all the time. Like a semi-pro mechanical engineer. But, for .130”, and a perfect fit (and a perfectly acceptable fit), I’ll stick to the B-square part.
Just like a red dot on any gun (especially a pistol), you need to develop the “feel” to see the dot quickly, when you bring it up to shoot.
.130” is not a lot...
Old 10-28-2019, 08:32 AM
sandog

TPC Rating: 
100% (5)
Well, I went the route that Dustoffer suggested and got a Williams ramp front that I can put any height dovetail into.
I was fixated on raising up the factory sharkfin sight before, not sure why going with an aftermarket ramp didn't occur to me.
There was a Williams ramp listed that had "Remington spacing", but it was for long guns like the 870, 700 and 742, spacing was a bit over an inch between holes.
The spacing of the front sight holes on the Nylon is closer to 2 inches.

So I got the other ramp listed, and like Dustoffer, just use the front hole.
It is the real long screw that goes in under the dovetail.
The back one is a real short screw, not needed as the front one holds the sight tight to the barrel, and the barrel contour on the underside of the sight keeps it from shifting.

I put in a .400" tall Williams FireSight and went out to the range.
That height turned out to be almost perfect, but windage was a bit off at 50 yards.
As I already had the Williams GRS peep over a bit, I noticed the front sight would be centered perfectly if I drifted it over 1/16th to the left.

I should have waited until I got home, but attempted to drift it on the tailgate with brass punch and hammer so I could re check zero while at the range.
Of course, the punch slipped and I struck the fiber optic rod and broke the top of the sight. Ordered two new .410" Firesights the next morning.

The real small red FO rod along with the rear peep makes a nice easy to see combo. I'm glad I went with the new ramp instead of trying to boost the factory sight up with a thick spacer.
Here's the ramp used (minus the broken sight blade):