Notices

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 10-08-2019, 10:51 PM
Blackwolfe
NRA Member - Click Here To Join! Appleseed Member

TPC Rating: 
100% (11)
BL-22 peep sights and factory sights

I picked up an excellent condition used BL-22 Micro a month or so ago. I picked it up for a great price and as I have some grand children that I hope to teach to shoot in a few years it would be a great little rifle for them to use.

I didn't realize at the time, but the original sights had been replaced. The current front sight is a very tall fiber optic sight. Maybe too tall. The rear sight is a buckhorn or semi buckhorn sight with the sliding elevator. The rear buckorn sight maybe from a BL-22 Octagon barrel as it appears similar to the non detailed pictures I've seen for the Octagon. There also appears to be a shim under the rear sight. I may replace the current sights with original sights or something similar. Does anyone know what size dovetails are used on the BL-22 Micro?

Additionally I want to get a peep sight for it. Any suggestions on a peep sight for these? I assume a peep sight for these would mount to the scope rail?

Until the grand babies grow up, I may use it for myself. Will a full sized BL-22 stock fit the Micro? Anyone know where I can get one for a reasonable price?
Old 10-09-2019, 12:27 AM
Leadlauncher

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Hi, I have a Grade II Octagon 24 inch barrel. I fitted a Skinner peep to it and had to swap out the original bead foresight for a taller Skinner, as it shot too high even with the peep wound right down. That's normal for most set-ups. I like my Skinner sight and bought the extra apertures so I can use it under various lighting conditions. In practice however I don't swap them much as I can normally hit what I need to with the standard aperture.

The receiver dovetail on the Midas will be 3/8 just like on the others in the BL22 range. At, least, the Skinner website doesn't differentiate between them. Oh, if you plan on adding a peep sight, don't change that foresight until you've sighted in because you might need the extra height like I did. Hope that helps you!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg InkedIMG20170616125401_LI_1570591835700.jpg (235.4 KB, 10 views)
Old 10-09-2019, 07:47 AM
sandog
US Army Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (5)
Yes, you will need a very, very tall front sight for the Skinner. Probably even taller than the fiber optic one you have now.

I put a .530" tall Williams fiber optic that I had in in my parts drawer, and with the Skinner as far down as it will go, yesterday when I took it out to try, was still shooting 6-7 inches high at 30 yards.
I don't like how fat the Skinner brass sight is, but I might have to order as their 1/2" wide front sight comes in .600" and .750" tall heights.

I think a front sight that is 1/2" plus to 3/4" tall looks kind of goofy, but if that's what it takes to get zeroed, I'll have to live with it.
Or keep the factory sights and use the FastFire red dot that I have on it now.
I'll add a pic of that soon.

I'm running into the same problem wanting to put a peep on my Nylon 66, but it's more difficult than the BL-22, because the Nylon has a screw on front sight.
About the only way to get a higher front sight for that is to fabricate a spacer to put under the front sight.

The peeps ( I also have a Williams GRS that clamps to the scope dovetails) don't look all that higher than the factory folding sight, well the Skinner doesn't anyway, hard to believe they need such a freakin tall front sight to get regulated.

One good thing about the Skinner tall brass sight is that it's easy to file down if it's too tall, to get it where you want it. I might file mine thinner at the top too when I get it.
Leadlauncher, it looks like Skinner recommends a max 3/8" front sight width for .22's with octagon barrels like yours. His 3/8" wide sight comes in a .600" height.
That's the one I'd try, and being brass, you can easily file a bit of height off to get it right.
http://www.skinnersights.com/front_sights_5.html
Try gunpartscorp (Numrich) for a longer BL-22 stock and the folding rear sight.
https://www.gunpartscorp.com/gun-man.../bl22-grade-ii

Last edited by sandog; 10-09-2019 at 09:52 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-09-2019, 07:50 AM
jstanfield103
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
From what I understand the Browning Dovetails are cut deeper than anyone else cuts there 3/8" Dovetail. So I believe even when you order the front sight from Skinner you have to order a Browning Dovetail cut to get that extra depth needed to fill the Dovetail depth. I believe I read that on the forums and Skinner web sight. But maybe wrong, someone please correct me if so, but something to investigate.

Ok have to correct myself, went to Skinner sight and they say the SA-22 Rear dovetail is .025 deeper. They don't mention the BL-22 as being that way. So might want to check.

Anyway here are a couple of factory sights that are available.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Browning-BL...ss!42171!US!-1

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Browning-BL...ss!42171!US!-1

Last edited by jstanfield103; 10-09-2019 at 07:59 AM.
Old 10-09-2019, 08:19 AM
sandog

TPC Rating: 
100% (5)
I couldn't find anywhere on the Skinner website where it said Browning's have a deeper cut dovetail. Andy does say that ALL of his sights are made oversize and will require a bit of filing to fit into the dovetail.
Old 10-09-2019, 08:40 AM
jstanfield103
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
Sandog they say the SA-22 on the rimfire sight section. But might want to check the BL-22 also.
Old 10-09-2019, 08:56 AM
OldWolf

TPC Rating: 
100% (23)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leadlauncher View Post
Hi, I have a Grade II Octagon 24 inch barrel. I fitted a Skinner peep to it and had to swap out the original bead foresight for a taller Skinner, as it shot too high even with the peep wound right down. That's normal for most set-ups. I like my Skinner sight and bought the extra apertures so I can use it under various lighting conditions. In practice however I don't swap them much as I can normally hit what I need to with the standard aperture.

The receiver dovetail on the Midas will be 3/8 just like on the others in the BL22 range. At, least, the Skinner website doesn't differentiate between them. Oh, if you plan on adding a peep sight, don't change that foresight until you've sighted in because you might need the extra height like I did. Hope that helps you!

This is the same set-up I use on my same rifle. I had to install a slightly taller front sight as well.

See this thread. https://www.rimfirecentral.com/forum...3&postcount=17

Old 10-09-2019, 09:50 AM
sandog

TPC Rating: 
100% (5)
I just ordered a tall (.570") Marbles 1/16" bead front sight from Skinner. ($18).
Looks like the one in Old Wolf's pic above.
I like a tiny bead held right on the target, as opposed to the thick Skinner brass ( or blued steel) blade that you are supposed to hold just under where you want to hit.

Their formula said, with a 20" barrel, that each .006" of additional height will translate to one inch at 25 yards.
I was hitting 6 to 7 inches high, so I need .036" to .042" more height.
From the .530" I have, I am betting the .570" will be sufficient.
If not, I'll have another front sight to put in my parts drawer for a later project !
Old 10-09-2019, 10:23 AM
OldWolf

TPC Rating: 
100% (23)
Sounds correct, my front sight is a Marbles 57W. My barrel is 24" though.