NY HELP NEEDED for Scorpion or Mamba purchase - Page 2 - RimfireCentral.com Forums

Go Back   RimfireCentral.com Forums > >

Notices

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 07-11-2019, 01:05 PM
Camster

TPC Rating: 
99% (54)

Quote:
Originally Posted by nitecapt View Post
You have both given me very helpful info. I think I will probably send the description on to the pistol license bureau and see what they say. One big worry for me is that I buy two of these (for my wife and myself) with dot sights and then get told I can't have them. Imagine that? If it were not for the grandkids, I would pack my bags and leave this state tomorrow.

Guys like you help people like me get things done right and your help and support are invaluable.
I have no VQ experience, but ask my friends at Camp-site Sport shop if their gunsmith can do the task.

( I frequent Npt harbor and the bakery several times a week)
From what you wrote of the SAFE act requirements, it sounds like NYers can no longer transfer in older Smith 41s,which came with a removable comp.

As a side note, don't comps for 22 pistols get loaded up with lead and residue (affecting accuracy), which is why they are removable for cleaning?

Last edited by Camster; 07-11-2019 at 02:43 PM.
Old 07-11-2019, 07:29 PM
nitecapt
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Ah yes......Copenhagen Bakery...the BEST. I will go to Campsite and talk to them. This is excellent advice. As to the compensator, you can see it on their website. It's a single port compensator and doesn't have all these little holes. It should clean very easily. see https://volquartsen.com/products/1299-black-mamba They have other c compensators which I would never chose to use.
Old 07-12-2019, 08:48 PM
AzShooter
US Air Force Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)

I went with the Mamba. I like the grip angle. I picked the 6 inch barrel over the 4.5 either would work for Steel Challenge Matches that I shoot. The 4.5 is supposed to track a little faster from target to target but it wasn't noticeable for me.

I also chose it because it is so light.
Old 07-25-2019, 11:39 AM
nitecapt

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
The Plot thickens

There are issues with buying this gun from out of state I think. I have yet to call the Campsite as recommended but I did call the Suffolk COUNTY PISTOL LICENSE BUREU and they said that if an FFL dealer ferries it as compliant they will almost never challenge it. Then I called 2 Volquartsen dealers in my area who said they do not do gunsmithing and will not do it for this pistol It's a mess. Now I am going to write to scud band include a photo.
Old 07-28-2019, 09:01 PM
nitecapt

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
What sight is that?

Quote:
Originally Posted by AzShooter View Post

I went with the Mamba. I like the grip angle. I picked the 6 inch barrel over the 4.5 either would work for Steel Challenge Matches that I shoot. The 4.5 is supposed to track a little faster from target to target but it wasn't noticeable for me.

I also chose it because it is so light.
What sight did you put on there?
Old 07-28-2019, 09:05 PM
AzShooter

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
It's a Vortex Venom on a EGW sight mount.
Old 07-28-2019, 09:10 PM
nitecapt

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
3 MOA?

The gun looks great. How does it shoot?
Old 07-28-2019, 09:16 PM
nitecapt

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Also......

What other sights did you look into? Did you consider Trijicon? Looks like you may have done my homework for me!!
Old 07-28-2019, 09:26 PM
AzShooter

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I had a C-More 12 minute dot on it first but like the Vortex better. Looked at the Trijicon but decided against it. Some of the cheap sights on Amazon just didn't hold up to others so I rejected them as well.
Old 07-31-2019, 07:55 PM
nitecapt

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Got the answer

The police department advised that as long as the compensator is blind pinned and welded, it will pass muster under NY safe act
Old 07-31-2019, 11:54 PM
27 Beck

TPC Rating: 
100% (41)
Quote:
The police department advised that as long as the compensator is blind pinned and welded, it will pass muster under NY safe act
What is meant by blind pinned? I am relatively sure not done by a blind gunsmith.
Old 08-01-2019, 04:06 AM
toivo

TPC Rating: 
100% (3)
How about looking for a good gunsmith who is also an FFL? Must be some on Long Island. You might have to drive a little bit, but it seems to me that it would be worth it to get the work done without having to do a lot of back-and-forth.

In the early days of the "SAFE" Act, some of the FFLs near me were transferring threaded-barrel pistols that had thread covers attached with JB Weld. I guess this no longer passes muster.
Old 08-01-2019, 06:47 AM
Camster

TPC Rating: 
99% (54)
Quote:
Originally Posted by 27 Beck View Post
What is meant by blind pinned? I am relatively sure not done by a blind gunsmith.
Blind pinned would mean a pin that is driven into a hole that does not go all the way through, thus it cannot be driven out from the other side.

The question is: Does this work have to be done before the possession of the gun is turned over to the buyer, OR, before he presents it to the PL bureau for it to be added to his license. For the first,which I suspect is the case, the mod has to be done through the FFL dealer.
Old 08-01-2019, 10:52 AM
nitecapt

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Question answered

The question is: Does this work have to be done before the possession of the gun is turned over to the buyer, OR, before he presents it to the PL bureau for it to be added to his license. For the first,which I suspect is the case, the mod has to be done through the FFL dealer.

It has to be done BEFORE it is turned over to the buyer and yes the mod has to be done by the manufacturer or the dealer. In the case of Volquartsen, they can do it and will charge for it.
Old 08-01-2019, 02:04 PM
toivo

TPC Rating: 
100% (3)
Quote:

It has to be done BEFORE it is turned over to the buyer and yes the mod has to be done by the manufacturer or the dealer. In the case of Volquartsen, they can do it and will charge for it.
FYI for you non-New-Yorkers, no one here can take possession of a pistol before it has been added to his/her permit. All the paperwork takes place while the pistol is still in the possession of the FFL.

Last edited by toivo; 08-01-2019 at 02:05 PM. Reason: spelling