Go Back   RimfireCentral.com Forums > >

Notices

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 06-09-2019, 10:04 AM
Smokingun

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Favorite aftermarket barrel

Let's hear everyone's favorite aftermarket barrel manufacturer and chamber dimensions for a CZ 457. Looking for best accuracy (obviously) but also needs to have good feed and extraction reliability.
Old 06-11-2019, 05:18 AM
lithgow_101

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
i like lilja
Old 06-11-2019, 06:52 AM
Wyocaddis
Law Enforcement Officer

TPC Rating: 
100% (2)
Quote:
Originally Posted by lithgow_101 View Post
i like lilja
That says it all
P.S. Carson is awesome to work with

Last edited by Wyocaddis; 06-11-2019 at 08:11 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-11-2019, 10:43 AM
flatlander
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I'd heard some rumblings about a few shooters having issues with Lilja bbls on their CZs - just enough to make me look elsewhere. Accuracy was pretty much the whole reason I was looking for a replacement bbl for my 457 American, and having read good things about Shilen's ratchet rifled .22RF bbls, I ordered one in, did some profile work to it, then used my PTG EPS reamer on it. I also went the glue-in route, instead of taking the big cuts for the action's grub screws to bear against. Pretty pleased with the 1st Shilen, as well as the 2nd one, which I used to replace the Varmint MTR's factory bbl.
Old 06-11-2019, 10:50 AM
padom

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
He asked what chamber and dimensions...

Lilja chamber headspaced to .041 has been amazing for me....Its all about properly fitting, chambering and head spacing a custom barrel...

Have you bought a Lilja 22rf blank and chambered it up? Or are you talking about their semi-custom drop in barrels??
Old 06-11-2019, 03:18 PM
flatlander
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
The scuttlebutt I'd read about problems with Lilja came from several different discussion forums, and wasn't limited to 'drop-in' .22RF bbls for CZs.

The only Lilja bbl I've used is a sendero contour that I put on a CMP Rem 40XB that I'd had Jonathan Elrod do Mike Bush's repeater conversion on. This is a titebore that I left at 26", and it's been a good shooter on the 40XB, although it does seem to shoot better if the bore is wiped out every 125-150rds. I set it aside and did another Krieger for the 40XB, and it shoots every bit as good as the Lilja, perhaps a little better, consistently. It was also chambered with the same PTG EPS reamer that I mentioned using on the Shilens - in fact, that's the only reamer/chamber design I've used to date on the .22RF bbls I've chambered.

The bolt on the American closes just a little tight on a .0435" go gauge, so it's logical to say that headspace is just a bit tighter than that dimension. The Shilen I did for the MTR is pretty much identical in headspace, and both bbls shoot good enough to satisfy me. Probably have fewer than 200rds through the American's Shilen, and somewhere around 120-150 through the MTR's. Since they're both glue-ins, I won't be pulling them to swap the OEM bbls back for comparison's sake, but there's no doubt the Shilens both shoot better than the factory bbls - even though the difference between the MTR bbl & Shilen is far less than the large difference between the American's OEM bbl & Shilen replacement. I'd like to take the MTR to a silhouette match that a club NW of here shoots, where you have to shoot offhand at the chickens, but get to shoot prone or off a bench at the rest of the targets - it's a few pounds lighter than the 40XB & V-22 comp rifles, but so is a sporter V-22 that has a Krieger 22" #4 sporter bbl, and that's at least as accurate as the MTR.
Old 06-12-2019, 01:06 AM
tothemax

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wyocaddis View Post
That says it all
P.S. Carson is awesome to work with
x3 for Lilja

I think the majority of folks who have them experience significant accuracy improvements. I certainly did.

The few who do not, receive great customer care by Carson Lilja until their problem is resolved... From my perspective, those who have issues may not have set them up properly with the correct headspace.

Mine is currently set up @+- .0425" and is quite accurate with SK and Center-X. Tomorrow I will adjust it down to about .0415" to see how it does. I will be shimming the bolt for this as I have glued it down in the action with Loctite 609

I highly recommend the Lilja set up with the correct headspace. I feel it's the absolute best high precision barrel option for the money. I am not aware of any other drop in options with this kind of track record at this price point.
Old 06-12-2019, 11:44 PM
Smokingun

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Great info guys! Thoughts on the Lilja CZ drop in barrel with the Lilja 2 chamber?
Old 06-13-2019, 03:37 PM
tothemax

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smokingun View Post
Great info guys! Thoughts on the Lilja CZ drop in barrel with the Lilja 2 chamber?

http://riflebarrels.com/shop/drop-in...cision-barrel/

I have the .9 x 21" bull barrel w/ the Lilja 2 chamber and have been getting great results.. the key is to get it shimmed to the correct headspace ..

For further accuracy, some consider gluing it in w/ Loctite 609. A non-permanent solution which is easily reversible by simply heating it up to remove the barrel.

Good luck
Old 06-13-2019, 05:12 PM
MT_shooter

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I'm getting great results from my WhistlePig 455 barrel, which will also work on the 457.