Go Back   RimfireCentral.com Forums > > >

Notices

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 02-06-2019, 09:41 PM
Animage

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
My First Rifle

Well. Made the plung after owning a few pistols and revolvers. Never had much interest in long guns as I do not hunt.

Picked up a 10/22 takedown and this Marlin XT-22TR. I saw the tube feed version and knew it was unique for what I see around and wanted it. Took it to the range and put 200 rounds through it standing at a target at 10 yards. Loved hitting bullseyes constantly but man is my left arm sore today from holding this up for so long.

Anyone have the best sources/YouTube links for how to care for my rifle and possible make improvements? I’ve never used a scope before but that seems like a logical step. Before and after I shot, I sprayed some CLP on a bore snake and ran it down a few times. Had no idea that 22 was such a dirty round after looking stuff up and feel like I should do a better clean. I usually just shoot pistols and my main firearm is a Glock 19 which I’m used to not having to baby/clean/oil heavily so looks like this Marlin will be a plinker that I care much more about.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 491ED653-CD84-4303-AD79-50B40838F45B_1549507291124.jpg (477.2 KB, 18 views)
Old 02-06-2019, 10:16 PM
cabin22
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
At the minimum, you should get a bottle of Hoppe's #9, and small bottle of Rem Oil, a bag of .22 sized patches, and a one piece cleaning rod. Get a brass .22 brush and a pointed jag if those don't some with the cleaning rod. You can, but don't need to, clean it after every session. Run a patch soaked in Hoppe's down the barrel, let it sit for 5 minutes or so, then run several dry patches down until they come out fairly clean. then one final patch lightly oiled with the Rem oil.

Wipe off the bolt, run a lightly oiled patch over it too, and it should be good to go. Others will no doubt have far more comprehensive procedures, but that is the basic approach.

Last edited by cabin22; 02-07-2019 at 08:25 AM.
Old 02-06-2019, 11:52 PM
Toomany22s

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Welcome to Rimfire central. Ok the cleaning stuff above is basic. To clean the bore/ barrel you pull out the bolt and cleanfrom the breach end. The bolt comes out by pulling the the trigger lifting the bolt Handel and pullin it out. Donít scrub! I like the spray cleaner gun scrubber. Hoppes is fine too. Watch YouTube guy , gunblue, cleaning videos.

As for a scope, better to get one with adjustable objective.better focus. Bushnell makes a 3.5 x 10 x32 that you can get for 50 bucks. Buy low rings, amazon 8 bucks. Zero at 50 yards.

Amazon is a good source for targets, I like the sticky reactive targets.

Ammo is key to 22, the Std velocity is more accurate than the High velocity. CCI SV is fine . The hv is fun the bulk cheap ammo is fun , but usually not the most accurate. Copper coated, just a marketing ploy.
Lots of stuff to learn , but itís a lot of fun
Have fun, shoot a lot .

If youíre shooting free hand , get a sling, a simple military cloth sling and what a you tube on how to use it , it makes a difference. If your shooting off a bench, get a cheap bipod, Amazonís,6 to 9 inches. And make yourself a rear bag. Large cloth sack 2 lbs of dry beans.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-07-2019, 08:39 AM
cabin22

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Darn, I forgot. Welcome to RFC!

I noticed your Marlin already has Weaver-style scope bases on it, so you will need Weaver-style rings for mounting the scope; they are pretty common so no worries there. I suggest going to a local gun store and having them mount the scope for you. They will have a selection of rings, the proper tools to do the job, and will probably bore sight it for you so you'll be close to being on target the first time you shoot it.

For a first scope, you don't need to spend a lot of money - you'll do that later. But don't fall for the $20 rimfire scopes you see at Walmart or online, they are nothing but junk. Something in the $50-$100 range will do fine until you get used to using it. Check the Optics subforum and you'll find more information than you want.

If you don't have them already, I also suggest you get a starter set of bits to work on your gun; it should have a handle and various screwdriver, hex, and torx bits with it. Gun manufacturers love to use different size screws.

And really, you don't have to baby, clean, and oil it heavily, just a bit of regular maintenance will keep it running. It was meant to be shot, a lot. So have fun. And ask for advice as needed. We're always happy to spend you money.
Old 02-07-2019, 09:53 AM
Tom_in_MO
US Army Veteran

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
Welcome and thanks for the writeup. That is the exact gun I intend to buy next. Was it in stock at your LGS? I can't find any available from distributors.
Old 02-07-2019, 10:01 AM
tickridger

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Another thing you might try is different brands of ammo. Some will burn clean and some dirty. Your gun will tell you which ones it likes best with accuracy. And welcome.

John
Old 02-07-2019, 01:09 PM
Animage

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom_in_MO View Post
Welcome and thanks for the writeup. That is the exact gun I intend to buy next. Was it in stock at your LGS? I can't find any available from distributors.
I have two Fleet Farms in my city (Green Bay, WI) and neither of them had this model. Visited a friend in Manitowac and we had to stop at his Fleet Farm for some party accessories and I saw this there. Drove back after the birthday party and purchased it.

I had seen the regular XT-22 everywhere and liked the look of the bolt action, and saw a Model 60 and thought the tube fed was something I'd want, since everything is magazine fed. Looked up online and saw that the TR existed. I really dug it and now I own it.
Old 02-08-2019, 08:35 PM
Jeepergeo

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
For cleaning, see the DRGunners posts on this site. He has a snake like system that will do you good for not much dough.

Here is the link.
https://www.rimfirecentral.com/forum...d.php?t=504746

Last edited by Jeepergeo; 02-08-2019 at 08:39 PM.
Old 02-08-2019, 09:17 PM
flangster

TPC Rating: 
100% (33)
Or you can make your own patchworm out of some weed whacker line. You'll need a sharp knife to trim one end to a point, and a flame to melt a blob at the other to hold a patch. I use these -- they are light, cheap, and easy to use.
Old 02-08-2019, 10:50 PM
buckweet
US Navy Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (3)
Welcome.. enjoy your rifles.
Old 02-09-2019, 10:36 AM
ferg
US Navy Disabled American Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
Clean a 22? Odd...
Old 03-31-2019, 07:55 PM
BusMaster007

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Over cleaning and over scoping your .22 will drive you insane.

Get the sights lined up for 25-50 yards.
Don't clean it yet.

Get a good 1-4 .22 scope setup.
Fix that to your sight setup.
Verify both.

Keep using the same ammo that got you to this point.

If you must...clean the gun.
Keep using the same ammo until it shoots back to point of aim.
Don't start twiddling things or you will become stark, raving mad!

If you shoot at things closer, aim a tad low until you get how it wants you to shoot it.

Have FUN!
Old 04-05-2019, 02:16 PM
kick

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
For the money an excellent choice for your first rifle.
Old 04-05-2019, 02:51 PM
Signalman

TPC Rating: 
100% (12)
Animage sir to start with to RFC where we here will help you spend more money on rimfire stuff that you ever dreamed of...I know I have and love every minute of it.

Just be careful Marlin tube fed rifle can be addicting...just ask me how I know

We are here to help...it's like family here.

Signalman
Old 04-05-2019, 05:28 PM
sav99fan
US Air Force NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
☝️☝️ yea ask him he's the one with the addiction 😂😂 but no seriously I have a problem. I call it Marlinitis.