Notices

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 12-10-2018, 07:49 PM
dbuffington

TPC Rating: 
100% (9)
What Did I Buy?

Hi Folks!

Im not sure whether this should go here, in the Walther forum, or in the generic Centerfire forum, but lets give it a try

In this weeks exciting episode of What Did I Buy? we have a Walther sporter chambered in 22 Hornet. Im guessing its a KKJ model, but there are no markings to confirm that.

The serial number is 3659 and the code (date code?) printed on the barrel is 73. The iron sights have been removed and the gun has been equipped with a very interesting Walther scope mount and a very uninteresting Redfield scope.

Any thoughts on what I have?

Thanks!
Dave
Old 12-10-2018, 09:37 PM
Penage Guy

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
It looks like a Walther KKJ Hornet with double set triggers. They were introduced about 1957. (KKJ -- Kleinkaliber Jagd) The model was available in .22LR, .22WMR, and .22 Hornet.
Old 12-11-2018, 04:42 PM
kisssofdeath
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I would say. It looks like a Walther KKJ Hornet with double set triggers. They were introduced about 1957. (KKJ -- Kleinkaliber Jagd) The model was available in .22LR, .22WMR, and .22 Hornet.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-11-2018, 05:14 PM
Penage Guy

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by kisssofdeath View Post
I would say. It looks like a Walther KKJ Hornet with double set triggers. They were introduced about 1957. (KKJ -- Kleinkaliber Jagd) The model was available in .22LR, .22WMR, and .22 Hornet.
That sounds about right.
Old 12-11-2018, 05:19 PM
kaynine

TPC Rating: 
100% (15)
It's a Walther KKJ-HO with the extra cost Dbl. Set Triggers. Based on the lack of the cross bolt safety, I'd guess that it is a late production rifle dating around 1970 when Walther discontinued this feature. You should be able to see the date of manufacture by looking on the left side of the receiver ring for the feather proof mark and two digit year of manufacture (1973?).

The one piece quick detachable scope mount is a real plus since they're seldom found over here in the US. It's a shame about the missing open sights, but it's still a very nice rifle and I'm confident that it'll be a fine shooter.

Last edited by kaynine; 12-11-2018 at 05:21 PM.
Old 12-11-2018, 08:42 PM
dbuffington

TPC Rating: 
100% (9)
Quote:
Originally Posted by kaynine View Post
It's a Walther KKJ-HO with the extra cost Dbl. Set Triggers. Based on the lack of the cross bolt safety, I'd guess that it is a late production rifle dating around 1970 when Walther discontinued this feature. You should be able to see the date of manufacture by looking on the left side of the receiver ring for the feather proof mark and two digit year of manufacture (1973?).

The one piece quick detachable scope mount is a real plus since they're seldom found over here in the US. It's a shame about the missing open sights, but it's still a very nice rifle and I'm confident that it'll be a fine shooter.
Thanks! Yup, the feather proof and "73" are stamped on the barrel just forward of the receiver. The scope mount is a quick-detach style and marked "Walther". I have a small, but relatively new, Zeiss scope I'll put on it for the time being, but a period European scope would be even better.

Thanks to all!
Dave
Old 12-12-2018, 07:04 AM
Penage Guy

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by dbuffington View Post

In this weeks exciting episode of What Did I Buy? we have a Walther sporter chambered in 22 Hornet. Im guessing its a KKJ model, but there are no markings to confirm that.

The serial number is 3659 and the code (date code?) printed on the barrel is 73. The iron sights have been removed and the gun has been equipped with a very interesting Walther scope mount and a very uninteresting Redfield scope.

Any thoughts on what I have?
Were you not sure what you had or was this a test of some kind for forum readers?
Old 12-12-2018, 07:12 AM
dbuffington

TPC Rating: 
100% (9)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Penage Guy View Post
Were you not sure what you had or was this a test of some kind for forum readers?
First, I have to admit that there's a bit of bragging involved here. I think it's an absolutely beautiful gun.

Oh, I knew generally, like when you see a fiberglass-bodied Chevrolet go down the street, you know it's a Corvette.

But most of all, I was hoping to provoke some commentary, background, insight, whatever from the Walther experts in the audience. The classic German rimfires fascinate me, and the centerfire adaptions are even more fascinating. So I'd like to know more.

Enjoy!
Dave
Old 12-12-2018, 02:08 PM
Thomasconnor

TPC Rating: 
100% (76)
It's also a prelude to the upcoming sale!...Tom
Old 12-12-2018, 02:30 PM
dbuffington

TPC Rating: 
100% (9)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomasconnor View Post
It's also a prelude to the upcoming sale!...Tom
Nah, I don't think so. It's too unique and too good looking. I'd like to keep it around. Now I'll probably flip the 54 I bought at the same auction (https://www.rimfirecentral.com/forum....php?t=1143539) or the other 54 I've had for awhile.

Enjoy!
Dave