0% (0)

Super nice guys, thanks for sharing.
Old 11-29-2018, 06:35 PM
BlueRidgeParson

TPC Rating: 
100% (11)
Quote:
Originally Posted by gewehrfreund View Post
Mine has a walnut stock (can't tell if yours is also walnut BRP) and the hard rubber buttplate with "MAS" and the "crossed cannons" instead of the polished metal.
One of mine has a beech stock & the other has a walnut stock with a Mauser marked bakelite buttplate. Luck of the draw, I guess.

BRP
Old 12-01-2018, 03:26 AM
kisssofdeath
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Well got the Walther today and it looks fantastic, just like the photos. Will shoot it tomorrow along with the Mauser es340 B.
Old 12-01-2018, 03:10 PM

TPC Rating: 
100% (8)
Suggest you practice dry firing on snap caps to get a feel for the two stage triggers on these rifles. You will find each trigger’s break point. Will pay dividends when you get to the range.
Old 12-01-2018, 09:11 PM
kisssofdeath

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by rwgray76 View Post
Suggest you practice dry firing on snap caps to get a feel for the two stage triggers on these rifles. You will find each trigger’s break point. Will pay dividends when you get to the range.
Already have. Both have fantastic two stage triggers. I didn't measure the weight of the take up AKA first stage, but the Mauser es340 B broke at a consistent 2lb 5 oz and the Walther Sportmodell broke at a consistent 2lb 2 oz. Both feel fantastic. That's the good news, bad news is it rained all day and I couldn't shoot.

One observation that has surprised me is how huge the Walther bolt is and how small "in comparison" the Mauser bolt is.
Old 12-01-2018, 09:37 PM
BlueRidgeParson

TPC Rating: 
100% (11)
Quote:
Originally Posted by kisssofdeath View Post
One observation that has surprised me is how huge the Walther bolt is and how small "in comparison" the Mauser bolt is.
I love the Mauser B models, and own several of them. They are elegance personified. But it is instructive that Mauser's next model, the KKW (and by extension the Mauser 45/MAS 45) used a breech bolt like that on your Walther Sportmodell. Make of that what you will, as the KKW was built in consultation with Walther & Gustloff. As I opined previously, that Walther action is strong as a tank.

BRP
Old 12-02-2018, 03:10 PM
kisssofdeath

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueRidgeParson View Post
I love the Mauser B models, and own several of them. They are elegance personified. But it is instructive that Mauser's next model, the KKW (and by extension the Mauser 45/MAS 45) used a breech bolt like that on your Walther Sportmodell. Make of that what you will, as the KKW was built in consultation with Walther & Gustloff. As I opined previously, that Walther action is strong as a tank.

BRP
I would have to agree. Also wish I had a 10th of your knowledge on this subject. Keep teaching the grasshopper.
Old 12-04-2018, 12:11 AM
kisssofdeath

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Weirdest thing happened today. I proceeded to test the Walther this evening and for some reason it wouldn't fire consistently. Never did it before when testing with the pull gauge. Didn't have time to investigate right then as we were going to Texas Road House. When I got home, I removed the stock to look at the trigger. The Walther and Mauser I have are some what similar but what really caught my eye was the roller bearing installed on Walther trigger. Anyway, I didn't see anything wrong with the mechanics of the trigger, sear, bolt, firing pin so I put everything back together and that's when I noticed the trigger was making contact with the trigger guard. I ended up putting a small flat washer under the rear trigger guard bolt to move it away from the trigger. Haven't shot it but looks like it will work fine. I am starting to think I have a replacement trigger guard. For one, it's in perfect condition except for an X stamped into the bottom and it is aluminum. Attached are some photos, can someone verify if it's original or not?

Old 12-04-2018, 11:25 AM
BlueRidgeParson

TPC Rating: 
100% (11)
I believe that your trigger guard has been replaced. I took a couple of quick pics of two of my pre-war Walther rifles, and you can see what the original looks like. The trigger guard on my two rifles is plastic, so your aluminum one may be an improvement over the original!

I don't own one like your rifle, so it's possible that yours would differ from what I have, but it seems more likely to me that Walther would use the same part for all the rifles made on the Sportmodell action. Here is the original:

By the way, your solution is perfect. A flat washer solves it beautifully.

BRP
Old 12-04-2018, 02:31 PM
kisssofdeath

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Thanks BRP. Another reason that makes be believe it's a replacement is every single photo I have seen online of the trigger guard has what appears to be a metal/steel insert in that hole for a sling attachment. Mine does not have that insert.

I'm still puzzled at the "X" mark on the bottom of the guard.
Old 12-04-2018, 04:01 PM

TPC Rating: 
100% (8)
Nor would it given your rifle’s sling attachment to the butt stock as most military trainers have.

I will have to check the trigger guards on my older Walther Sportmodells. I think they are plastic/Bakelite just like BRP’s. But I don’t have one like yours set up as a military trainer. So take the results with a note of caution.

Have you shot it yet?

Checked two of my Walther Sportmodell MBs. Both have the identical trigger guard as BRP's rifles even though they have different stock designs. Russ

Last edited by rwgray76; 12-04-2018 at 07:03 PM. Reason: Update
Old 12-04-2018, 07:46 PM
kisssofdeath

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I am pretty sure I seen the exact rifle with sling setup like mine but still have the insert in the trigger guard. Mine looks the same as those, just without the insert.

I did get to shoot today. Didn't get to shoot off the bench but shot 20 rounds off hand at 50-55 yards again and was able to get a comparison with the Mauser ES340 B which I also shot roughly 20 rounds.

The Mauser feels better ergonomically I guess because of the LOP and I like the grip angle better. Mauser also ejects much better than the Walther. Accuracy wise, both are considered equal at this time and with this test method. The Walther did have a better sight picture for me. The Walther always extracted the casing but failed to clear the action several times. Fortunately with the huge opening it's no problem getting the case out. The trigger worked perfect for me, no issues at all so the little flat washer is unseen and works. I posted something similar to this in the Mauser section.
Old 12-06-2018, 09:42 PM
kisssofdeath

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Shot the Walther Sportmodell and Mauser on the bench today. At the end of the day I will be keeping both, "if" I had to make a choice one or the other it would be the Mauser and here is why, the LOP is longer and it fits me better. The ejection works perfect on the Mauser. The rear tangent sight is adjustable for both elevation and windage. Windage is accomplished with a single screw that has clicks. Overall I like the looks of the Mauser better, I like the shape better and on mine the stock and finish on the Mauser is in better condition.

Accuracy wise, I would consider both equal. On the bench at 55 yards, using iron sights I could hit my 2" swingers with great consistency with both. I used two ammo types, CCI SV and Federal Auto Match 325rd box. Both brands shot good from each rifle.