Cleaning a GSG 1911-22..... - RimfireCentral.com Forums

Go Back   RimfireCentral.com Forums > > >

Notices

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 11-08-2018, 12:22 PM
armytc
US Army Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Cleaning a GSG 1911-22.....

I'm getting ready to pick up a GSG 1911-22. Do you have any suggestions on which cleaning/lube that should be used that will work under most conditions and not harm the finish? I always use Break-Free CLP on most of my firearms. I use Hoppe's 9 for the bore. I understand Hoppe's will ruin the finish on a GSG 1911-22.
Thanks for info.....
Old 11-08-2018, 07:00 PM
armed in utah

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
just cleaned mine today....

final wipe down was with Birchwood Casey Barricade

Mine is the tan colored GSG....
Old 11-08-2018, 08:00 PM
jon p
US Army Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (4)
Thumbs up hoppes

Quote:
Originally Posted by armytc View Post
I'm getting ready to pick up a GSG 1911-22. Do you have any suggestions on which cleaning/lube that should be used that will work under most conditions and not harm the finish? I always use Break-Free CLP on most of my firearms. I use Hoppe's 9 for the bore. I understand Hoppe's will ruin the finish on a GSG 1911-22.
Thanks for info.....
it never has hurt the finish on my black GSG 1911. I use red slide glyde grease on the rails, stays put and does an excellent job.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-09-2018, 12:59 AM
lordmorgul
NRA Member - Click Here To Join! GOA Member

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
CLP will do.

Andrew - Lancaster, CA
NRA Life Member, Calguns.net contributor, CGF / SAF / CRPA / FPC / NRA-ILA contributor, USCCA member
Old 11-10-2018, 05:24 PM
bluzman

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I use Hoppe's solvent and gun oil on my GSG 1911-22 as I do with all my firearms. Does the job.
Old 11-16-2018, 11:44 AM
smokey9701

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I too just cleaned my GSG yesterday. Last time I applied a light layer of grease on the rails. I think that was a bad idea. It got gummed up and the slide didn't move well. I cleaned it up and this time just used a light gun oil and as little as possible.

New, the finish had gotten in to the slide channels and as it wares off it mixes with grease and oil. Needs to be cleaned often.

When clean the gun works fine.
Old 11-17-2018, 10:07 AM
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Hoppe's has never bothered mine. It gets a tiny bit of synthetic wheel bearing grease on the slide rails, a little Mobil 1 in the innards and Johnson's paste wax on the outside.
Old 11-17-2018, 10:44 AM

TPC Rating: 
100% (3)
Based upon what my 10/22 runs like now the next time into the GSG Im trying the 'dri-lube' After a Good Traditional Cleaning.
Old 11-17-2018, 10:54 AM
stevebla
US Coast Guard Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Fun gun to shoot my wife has a Sig 1911 .22 same gun. There was paint over spray in side the slide used a green pad to remove it. Clean as usual take some High Velocity ammo with you.
Old 11-17-2018, 11:53 AM
smokey9701

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by stevebla View Post
Fun gun to shoot my wife has a Sig 1911 .22 same gun. There was paint over spray in side the slide used a green pad to remove it. Clean as usual take some High Velocity ammo with you.
I read a lot about people removing the over spay. I decided to remove all the black from the slide. I like the polished aluminum shine over all black. I will say the finish is very good stuff. It didn't come off easily. So when I tried to remove it from the inside, it was difficult to get it out of the channels on the side. I got concerned about rounding over the machined edges of the slide. I decided to stop and just use some rubbing, then polishing compound to smooth it out. I am going to just let it ware away on it's on and plan of some extra effort to keep it clean. We all need to keep things in context. The GSG is a fun gun to shoot but, it's not high end buttery smooth. GSG could have made an effort to control that over spare but, they did not. Not a big deal, just something we need to deal with.

If I had to do it again I might have chosen the smaller Browning or a Rock Island.