Muzzle-loading shotgun-any good sources of information? - RimfireCentral.com Forums

Go Back   RimfireCentral.com Forums > >

Notices

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 08-20-2018, 09:20 PM
Arkyplinker

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Muzzle-loading shotgun-any good sources of information?

I picked up a muzzle-loading shotgun at an online auction over the weekend. I haven't decided yet whether to keep it or sell it(I'm leaning toward keep), but I'd like to be able to identify it, or at least get close. What I've found so far is that there seems to be very little to find; information is almost nonexistent on these things. I bought it on impulse while I was waiting for another gun to come up on the block; I'm not new to the gun world, but this is definitely uncharted territory for me. From the pics and the description, I know there are several different symbols and proof marks in various places, and these should go a long way in helping me find out what I have, if I can just find a reference for proof marks to manufacturer. If anyone shoes an interest in this post, I'll post some pics once I get the gun, or I could post some of the auction pics, but I don't think there's much in the auction pics that would be of help. Any information much appreciated!
Old 08-21-2018, 12:56 PM
mushka
US Army Veteran Law Enforcement Officer NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Just google black powder forums and several will pop up. They all have BP shotgun segmets.
Old 08-22-2018, 09:56 AM
toomanyguns
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Dixie catalog has some information. For example, it details how to load.

I have two 20 ga. ML shotguns and use 70 g 2F with the same volume of shot.

What gauge is yours?
Advertisement

Old 08-27-2018, 02:41 AM
Arkyplinker

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Thanks, guys!

60-70gr is pretty standard black powder load. If I decide to shoot this thing, I'll probably start light, with about 50gr and a half-oz of shot. Fine British craftsmanship and all aside, I'm not really sure I want to shoot a 170 year-old shotgun. I would like to find out what I have and approximately what it's worth, though. And, I'll browse some of those forums and see what I can find.
Old 08-27-2018, 02:50 AM
Arkyplinker

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I forgot to add, it's a 12-gauge
Old 09-10-2018, 05:47 PM
NHcollector

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arkyplinker View Post
I forgot to add, it's a 12-gauge
Go light on loads, these were Damascus or wire twist barrels. They didn't blow up the last time they were shot, just don't tempt fate. I have a couple of them, as near as I can determine they are 14 gauge. There are components available, wads, cards. Hickok45 has a few vids of him shooting some Pedersoli 20 gauge BP shotguns.