Go Back   RimfireCentral.com Forums > > >

Notices

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 06-07-2018, 06:17 PM
LorenatBMS

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
RIA 1911 XT22 LR Magwell & Mags Fitted

I just just got this and planned on fitting the RIA magwell to it.

https://advancedtactical.com/product...-1911-a1-fs-ms

I was bummed that the 22LR magazined would not fit up into the magwell.

So I figured what they heck and started working on the magwell with small carbide and diamond burrs to reshape the interior walls of the magwell to fit the RIA 22lr magazines. I ended up working on both the magwell and magazines and have them fitting like a glove.

I also added some magazine internals from

www.taylor-tactical-supply.com

and

http://blackdogmachinellc.net/follow...hold-open.aspx

Expanding the magazine to 14 rounds and holding the slide open after the last round.
I did a little work on the top of the mag follower. It came with square edges and the mag spring puts a little torque on the follwers and they sometimes hang at the top of the magazine and do not protrude all the way to stop the slide. I have one that I have softened that edge and think that will resolve it but need to do some range time to confirm.

It is a cool pistol and I'm looking forward to shooting it soon!

Old 06-17-2018, 08:38 AM
redlightrich

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
nice work

Hello, it looks like you are using Kimber "A" mags, which are a bit different from the originals. They are called "A" mags due to the part number which ends with an A.
If you have feeding issues, you can angle the top of the bolt follower so it slopes rearward. You can start with a file, then finish it with fine sandpaper.

As long as you are careful, there is plenty of material to have a Black Dog follower with rearward slope ( almost mimicking the slope of the original follower) and still have plenty of material left to effectively hold the bolt back.

Let us know how you make out at the range.

Rich
Old 06-17-2018, 10:26 AM
LorenatBMS

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Rich, they are RIA OEM magazines. I made it to the range yesterday for the first time with the pistol. The pistol feed really well with a number of different HV ammo. The slide locked back by the Blackdog followers about 40% of the time.

I did have a lot of failure to fires with firing on the second strike of the hammer. This was the .22lr/.45acp combo kit. I tried the .45 anf it cycled and fired just fine. The kit did come with two hammer spring/back straps, so I need to check out the second one and see if the spring is heavier and if it is swap it out and see how the .22 cycles and fires.

I did add Dawson fiber optic front sites and the pistol shoots well. I like it!!

I purchased a couple of the CSG -1911 22 mags to see how they fit up. They lock in, they lock the slide back when empty, but they are thinner than the RIA mags, which allows they to rotate just enough in the magazine well to allow them to become disengaged with the magazine catch and they drop out.

I will see if I can figure out a way to fix that. They are a nice steel magazine, and properly lock the slide back, so it would be good to get them to work.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-17-2018, 02:56 PM
one shot 111
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I have a RIA XT22 also and I would be interested in seeing a picture of the fiber optic front sight installed on your XT22. I am looking for a XT22 tactical model with a full length rail instead of open sights. I really enjoy using my XT22. I am using Kimber magazines mostly and CCI high velocity ammo.
Old 06-17-2018, 07:51 PM
LorenatBMS

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
one shot 111, here is the Dawson Fiber Optic front sight. It did require stoning the sight to fit, which is what I expected when I purchased the sights. Not hard to do, but takes a little time to sneek up on the perfect fit.

Old 06-17-2018, 09:15 PM
LorenatBMS

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I opened the package that had the second backstrap/hammer spring housing and it had two spent 22lr cartridges with it. I installed it and it increased the pull on the hammer from 4 1/2 lbs to 6 1/2 lbs. That will probably take care of the failure to fires I was having. Hopefully it will not cause any cycling problems.

It also made the trigger pull heavier too . If it functions well I will pull it all apart and do a trigger job on it.

Still like the pistol...fun to shoot!