100% (1)

So how’s the gun shootin?
Old 04-07-2018, 06:15 PM
scooter22
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

Central NY, The good part, not the rotten apple
TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
Just shoot it. I have rimfire ammo from the 70s that shoots fine and old milsurp ammo from the late 30s thru 50s. Fine. If it was stored bad it would normaly show on the case from discoloration or corrosion. If the boxes look good and the ammo clean not a problem. Nice gun. Enjoy it. I'm still waiting for spring to wake up. 6" of snow yesterday and 20s tonight.
Old 04-07-2018, 07:09 PM
rc.

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Yeh, 70s production

I believe in the 80s the plastic boxes had glued labels on them. I have a couple of boxes of mini mag I picked up at a gunshow cheap that have the yellow plastic boxes and paper insert under the cover. I'm pretty sure these are no newer than very early 80s and may be as old as early 70s. I'm sure one of the older timers can help narrow down the age of that ammo a bit more but it may actually be closer to 50 years old than 30 but that shouldn't matter. I started shooting rimfire regularly in about 85 and I remember my first brick of CCI mini mag 22LR being purchased in blue/silver paper boxes at Longs Drugs and the blazer at that time was mostly white with black and if memory serves red lettering. When Omark sold to Blount around 1990, their was a headstamp change from the "Big C" to the "little c" we see today that Federal still uses on CCI rimfire ammo. If you see big C headstamp CCI it's surely older than 1990. The older CCI ammo is as good as anything sold today and maybe more reliable overall. Curious what will shoot more accurately for you. The old stuff or the current production ammo.
Old 04-08-2018, 02:41 PM
smokey9701

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by edspdog View Post
Shoot it. Most likely never know the difference than what is new off the shelf.
I agree, just shoot it, it fires or it doesn't but, what do you have to lose in finding out. It a zero risk situation. If only one 1 fires you saved 20 cents.