Go Back   RimfireCentral.com Forums > > >

Notices

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 09-28-2019, 12:46 AM
dimeman

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Friday Flashback---My first Buckmark

Way back in 1993 I decided to buy my 2nd handgun, the 1st being a Jennings J22 (which I still have).
After reading reviews on the NEW Browning Buckmark Micro in 1992, I decided to save up and buy one.
After a few months I had enough money to buy one at a small mom and pop gun store close buy.

Present day---I just got done installing some new parts to bring it back to life.
Put in the Volsquarten hammer and trigger, new slide and firing pin assembly and other moving parts in and on the frame to make it work like a new pistol.
Had seen a 5-1/2 inch Field barrel and rail on Feebay and had to buy it some months back.
Had to buy a new Field rail for the new blade sight so I could put the fiber optic sight on it.

Since the 1993 did not come with the magazine disconnect rod, Some of the Buckmark grips wont allow the magazine button to push fully (for some reason??) so the stock grips are still on it. And the Halo rack is on the new slide.

After and before photos......
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 93 micro slab before.jpg (107.3 KB, 144 views)
File Type: jpg 93 Micro after - Copy.jpg (124.9 KB, 8 views)
Old 09-28-2019, 05:20 AM
jstanfield103
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
Much improved. Very Nice, those are also nice comfortable grips and belong on that pistol. You did good.
Old 10-01-2019, 11:56 AM
dimeman

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
just saw a youtube video on Buckmarks not resetting.
Since I had replaced the trigger, the pin might be sticking out a little bit on the right hand side. Could be why some grips wont let the trigger reset.
I will have to check that out.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-01-2019, 12:13 PM
wproct

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Going from the Jennings to the Browning, that's not a step up, that's a huge leap! Nice!
Old 10-01-2019, 03:49 PM
rdas

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by dimeman View Post
Since the 1993 did not come with the magazine disconnect rod, Some of the Buckmark grips wont allow the magazine button to push fully (for some reason??) so the stock grips are still on it. And the Halo rack is on the new slide.
I don't understand that comment. What's the connection between the magazine disconnector rod and the magazine release button? In newer guns, the magazine disconnector rod moves up and down with the magazine ejector at the bottom of the grip, but that's not connected to the magazine release button, and I don't see how the lack of that rod in the older gun would cause issues with the grip-to-mag-release fit. I've put new and aftermarket grips onto old Buckmarks (pre mag disconnector safety) without issue before.

Make sure the grips you're trying to put on are for the standard/UFX grip frame, though. UDX grip frames have the grip positioning pin in a different place, and so the grips have the corresponding hole inside in a different place.

Grips causing trigger reset issues... yeah, that's probably because the disconnector pin is too far to the right. If you go too far to the left the pin catches in the access hole in the frame on the left, and the trigger won't move at all, so people have a tendency to overcompensate to the right, thinking it's not an issue. But then it rubs on the right grip. You want the disconnector pin to be almost as far left as possible (as long as the disconnector doesn't slip off that pin in use, you're fine). You can also relieve the inside of the grip more.

Dave
Old 10-01-2019, 04:03 PM
dimeman

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I took the right grip off and looked at the pin, compared to another one of my Buckmarks.
The pin is sticking out a little too far to the right.
Old 10-01-2019, 06:44 PM
dimeman

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Unhappy

I wanted to check everything on this Buckmark, so I took off both grips and the slide.
There were two problems on this one. When I took off the slide I noticed something not right with the rod in the firing pin assembly.
Here's a photo..................yes it is bent.
Glad I had extra some extra assemblies. And the trigger pin was a little too far to the right.
It seems to work fine now. I need to take it to the range and make sure.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg problem.jpg (177.3 KB, 3 views)
Old 10-02-2019, 01:45 PM
rdas

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
From what I've read, you can usually just re-straighten the guide rod, and it will return to proper, reliable functioning. The guide rods are made of pretty soft metal, so it takes that kind of bending and re-bending abuse pretty well, and also means that it's not very difficult to re-straighten them. I've straightened one without issue (but that's a pretty small sample size).

It might be bent from using the guide rod as a lever to pull the plastic firing pin housing out of the slide. Don't do that. Use a metal dental pick to reach down into the slot on the side of the housing, and pull it straight up out of the slide with that. There's a good description of that, with photo, on page 2 of Chim's disassembly instructions.

Dave
Old 10-04-2019, 03:39 PM
dimeman

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Just ordered some C-clips for the recoil rod assembly, and a few more guide assemblys... just to make sure I have some extra. Will have to check Striplins for a couple of his Buckmark recoil spring guide retaining rods, since Browning has discontinued making them.