Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 06-12-2021, 09:38 AM
Dean2

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlapahaJack View Post
Roger that.

Full disclosure, this was my average group...
That is still very good for cheap ammo at 100 yards in variable and heavy wind. There are lots of guys that would have trouble doing that with a centre fire in those conditions.
Old 06-12-2021, 09:47 AM
Cattleman30
US Marines Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dean2 View Post
Good work. All the practice, concentration on technique and wind is paying off. Keep it up as only practice will help you get better.
Roger that.

Full disclosure, this was my average group...

2nd is good shooting. 👍

My theme for shooting in the wind comes from the ol Wild World of Sports. “The thrill of Victory and the Agony of Defeat”.

Last edited by Cattleman30; 06-12-2021 at 09:50 AM.
Old 06-15-2021, 08:50 PM
CZer
NRA Member - Click Here To Join! Appleseed Member

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Grip and Shoulder Pressure?

Alapaha, your comment about how much a minor change in shoulder pressure and grip can influence the accuracy of a shot makes me wonder about your set up. In bench rest shooting (from what I have read and been told by more experienced shooters) you want to eliminate as many variables as possible.

To that end you want the rifle to cycle freely back in a straight line so you do not rest the butt against your shoulder. Thus the shoulder placement and pressure variables are eliminated. In the same manner the simplest/lightest grip you can adopt will be most repeatable. My firing set up (I hesitate to call it a grip) is the trigger finger first digit resting lightly on the trigger and the thumb only pressing forward on the stock in a pinching effort. Thus eliminating the possibility of changes in multiple finger placement and amount of finger pressure.

You do not mention the effect of cheek placement and pressure in shot accuracy so you are hopefully not using any cheek.

If this is already part of your set up great. Or if you are solidly progressing without any of this input, also great. Your comments caught my attention so I thought I would share my thoughts. I know it took me longer than it have for me to adopt a solid/repeatable set-up routine.
Old 06-16-2021, 06:32 AM
AlapahaJack
Law Enforcement Officer NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by CZer View Post
Alapaha, your comment about how much a minor change in shoulder pressure and grip can influence the accuracy of a shot makes me wonder about your set up. In bench rest shooting (from what I have read and been told by more experienced shooters) you want to eliminate as many variables as possible.

To that end you want the rifle to cycle freely back in a straight line so you do not rest the butt against your shoulder. Thus the shoulder placement and pressure variables are eliminated. In the same manner the simplest/lightest grip you can adopt will be most repeatable. My firing set up (I hesitate to call it a grip) is the trigger finger first digit resting lightly on the trigger and the thumb only pressing forward on the stock in a pinching effort. Thus eliminating the possibility of changes in multiple finger placement and amount of finger pressure.

You do not mention the effect of cheek placement and pressure in shot accuracy so you are hopefully not using any cheek.

If this is already part of your set up great. Or if you are solidly progressing without any of this input, also great. Your comments caught my attention so I thought I would share my thoughts. I know it took me longer than it have for me to adopt a solid/repeatable set-up routine.
Roger that and thanks for posting.

As a matter of fact, I'm slowly learning exactly what you are saying. I've eliminated any shoulder pressure. I need to adjust the scope to the rear now. Remember I'm used to service rifles.

I've already learned to keep my trigger-hand thumb pointing up, barely touching the rifle, and use only the tip of my finger on the trigger. Really, there is no grip.

I'm now to the point where I've learned to have my personal mental check list before firing EACH round.

1. Align the rifle, let it go, not touching the rifle, anywhere.

2. If the dot is where you want it, place the tip of the finger on the bottom of the trigger. No pressure.

3. Take breath, exhale. At the end of the exhale, don't breathe, pretend you are firing. Did the dot move? If it didn't...

4. Take breath, exhale. At the end of the exhale, don't breathe. If the dot is where you want it, begin the trigger pull.

Still learning, and I'll report back after my next match.
Old 06-16-2021, 07:44 AM
Thomasconnor
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (77)
Free Recoil

Quote:
Originally Posted by CZer View Post

In my experience, with a free recoil (straight) BR stock that is true.

Not so with a 3P (3 position) stock with (1) forend slope, (2) butt slope, and (3) cast off where it cannot move back straight. Any of these three features keep it from being suitable for free recoil.

Since it's a 10+ pound rig, it won't move much by leaning into it. Consistent pressure from shot to shot is key with a 3P stock on a bench...Tom
Old 06-16-2021, 08:10 AM
Triggershoe
NRA Member - Click Here To Join! GOA Member

TPC Rating: 
100% (10)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomasconnor View Post
In my experience, with a free recoil (straight) BR stock that is true.

Not so with a 3P (3 position) stock with (1) forend slope, (2) butt slope, and (3) cast off where it cannot move back straight. Any of these three features keep it from being suitable for free recoil.

Since it's a 10+ pound rig, it won't move much by leaning into it. Consistent pressure from shot to shot is key with a 3P stock on a bench...Tom
Agree with Tom here on this regarding stocks. I get more consistent results out of my 40-XB from the bench, when using SLIGHT shoulder pressure. When shooting free recoil, my groups are not as tight. So, of course I shoot my bench matches with just a bit of shoulder pressure (NO cheek), and employ the trigger finger/thumb technique (thumb on the rear of the trigger guard) for the trigger release. This seems to be the best for me, but YMMV.
Old 07-17-2021, 06:02 PM
AlapahaJack

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I shot in our club's official 100 yard match today. Of course, I was in the custom class.

This was my first real match. To my surprise, I came in second place!

Every once in a while, everything goes right! Even for the rookie! These guys are good! I was the only guy with a bipod.

Thanks to all who have coached me here!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 9CFE3383-9054-4241-94ED-FF2FC73F40D9.jpg (405.4 KB, 22 views)
Old 07-17-2021, 08:54 PM
Dutch14

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
good shooting alpha

As an old service rifle shooter, I was NRA expert also. I was amazed at how hard it was to learn to shoot 5 shot sub min. of angle groups. It has taken me since last thanksgiving to even come close using a one piece rest and an air rifle with a 10 power scope at 10 yds. It also took about 6000 pellets and most of Saturday and Sunday every weekend with no free holidays. I'm still not as good as I would like to be but I'm getting better. There was a pair of benchrest shooters that were in a warehouse in Huston Texas that stayed up all night testing various theories. The title of the article is The Huston warehouse experiment. I found it worth while to read. I appreciate seeing a target that isn't a one hole group that was possibly the only time the shooter ever shot one.
Old 08-09-2021, 12:05 PM
AlapahaJack

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I shot in our club's 50 yard match.

I shot my best score so far. But, these guys are good! I only came in fifth. Ya gotta hit 250 to be competitive.

My ole 64 with the bipod was up against some pretty tough competition, all with machine rests. Talking custom Vudoo (winner) and some built Suhls.

I'm determined to master the bipod.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg E288F5F8-D4E9-4D35-9635-640154FBC2AE.jpg (468.1 KB, 17 views)

Last edited by AlapahaJack; 08-09-2021 at 12:07 PM.
Old 08-09-2021, 04:57 PM
phillipf

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
Quote:
I shot in our club's 50 yard match.

I shot my best score so far. But, these guys are good! I only came in fifth. Ya gotta hit 250 to be competitive.

My ole 64 with the bipod was up against some pretty tough competition, all with machine rests. Talking custom Vudoo (winner) and some built Suhls.

I'm determined to master the bipod.

Hi AJ,

Nice shooting, is this target being scored as you would a USBR target or is it scored
some other way?
Thanks,

Old 08-09-2021, 05:09 PM
AlapahaJack

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by phillipf View Post
Hi AJ,

Nice shooting, is this target being scored as you would a USBR target or is it scored
some other way?
Thanks,

I don't know the difference! All I know is that they scored it a 248 with an 8 X.

The winner had a 250 with a 17 X.

The target says IBS Rimfire.

If you could enlighten me how all this works, this rookie might learn something!

Old 08-09-2021, 07:48 PM
phillipf

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
Quote:
I don't know the difference! All I know is that they scored it a 248 with an 8 X.

The winner had a 250 with a 17 X.

The target says IBS Rimfire.

If you could enlighten me how all this works, this rookie might learn something!

I looked at the IBS rules and the target you used is not what I saw, so I'm confused
at the targets so maybe someone else can explain the scoring of the targets.

I shoot USBR targets which looks like yours but yet different and if I was to try and
score yours using USBR rules, I think your score would be around 235.

Hope someone can enlighten the both of us.

Old 08-09-2021, 09:56 PM
AlapahaJack

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
According to the sighter target, it's scored like this...

With the little center dot, the "X".

I know they use the magnifying ring thing to judge the line.
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg 2E12453F-AF57-40BD-8577-2752DBC17804.jpeg (173.7 KB, 11 views)

Last edited by AlapahaJack; 08-09-2021 at 09:59 PM.