Rimfire Central Firearm Forum banner

Have All The Leftys Left?

20K views 112 replies 63 participants last post by  Clover58 
#1 ·
Just wondering. Awful quiet around here...

#2 ·
My father was a lefty and a Boeing Engineer.

In the 1980's (before he retired) he was at a meeting with the President of Boeing and 16 other VP's. The president noticed his curious writing ('hire the left handed, it is fun to watch them write'!) and said, 'Angell! you are left handed! Anyone else?.....
One by one each mans' left hand rose until all 17 Boeing VP's admitted they were left handed. Finally the president said, 'it OK I am a lefty too.

ALL 18 - True Story.

#3 ·
Many of the Forums tend to have slow periods. Perhaps most of us have run out of useful things to say and have stopped writing until we have something useful to say. That's OK with me.

Reactions: SOUTHERN S/PAW
#5 ·
Hello all
I don't know if this counts, but i"m right handed, left eye dominate, there for I shoot rifle and shot gun off my left shoulder. Hand gun (two hand grip, with the gun in my right hand) off my left eye.
I learned how to shoot rifle off my right shoulder, as I knew nothing of eye dominance at the time.
My brother is left handed.
anyway, it's just me
all the best to all
blueridgeranger

#10 ·
i am in my right mind

but there is NOTHING INTERESTING for us special people to discuss. I did learn that when shooting my new to me 1962 Remington 550-1 it works better when I REMOVE that ugly shell deflector ! with it on it deflects the hot shells onto my right wrist, but when off it throws them completely clear. YEAH! my 552 Remington is not fun with the deflector removed!!:eek::eek::bthumb:

#11 ·
Deflector on a 550-1

but there is NOTHING INTERESTING for us special people to discuss. I did learn that when shooting my new to me 1962 Remington 550-1 it works better when I REMOVE that ugly shell deflector ! with it on it deflects the hot shells onto my right wrist, but when off it throws them completely clear. YEAH! my 552 Remington is not fun with the deflector removed!!:eek::eek::bthumb:
I never removed the deflector from my 550-1. I assumed it would throw brass in my face. My grandson now has that rifle. I will suggest he remove the deflector and see how he likes it that way.

#13 ·
When I bought my first AR-15, I could not wait to shoot it...
Took it out back and fired a single round.
OUCH!!
I had a .223 ring burned into my forehead above my right eye.

It had never occurred to me that my old Colt (a pre-deflector unit) would treat me so poorly!

Ordered a Bushmaster upper the next day!

Found a milsurp lefty deflector later but never switched uppers. I have both uppers but the Colt is like new.

Bob

#14 ·
I'm closing in on 69 years old rapidly. Over the years, left-handed guns were expensive, and hard to come by. I COLLECT guns, and have less than a dozen dedicated left-handed guns.

Pistols I shoot pretty much ambidextrously, rifles, not so much. However, I've gotten pretty good with the "reach over grip" illustrated in Saving Private Ryan. It's all good.:t

#15 · (Edited)
I'm closing in on 69 years old rapidly. Over the years, left-handed guns were expensive, and hard to come by. I COLLECT guns, and have less than a dozen dedicated left-handed guns.

Pistols I shoot pretty much ambidextrously, rifles, not so much. However, I've gotten pretty good with the "reach over grip" illustrated in Saving Private Ryan. It's all good.:t
What a coincidence. I just had my 69th birthday a few weeks ago. My first three rifles were right handed. Then I bought an ambidextrous Ruger No. IV in 220 Swift, followed by a left handed Anschutz MPR. That was the end of me buying right handed rifles. While many models of fine rifles are not built left handed, I have no trouble exhausting my firearms budget each year with another excellent left handed rifle or two. Being late to the game, I have wanted to try one of everything available lefty. As you may have read I have bought and later sold (or given to family members) at least two dozen different left handed rifles over the past eight years.

My most recent purchases are a left handed Ruger M77 Hawkeye in 204 Ruger and a left handed Savage 93GL (22 WMR). My most recent sales have been my left handed Martini International MK II and the left handed BAT action 222 that I am currently offering in the Trading Post.

So far, I have bought only two rifles that know for sure I will never sell. They are a left handed CZ 452 American and an ambidextrous Ruger No. 1V in 222 Rem. In fact I spent a few $$ having Don Stith make a BR stock for the CZ and I recently bought a fine piece of French Walnut that is being made into a stock for the Ruger 1V. I will post pictures once I get a final finish on that one.

The only rifle I sold that I would like to have back is the MPR.

#16 ·
Last summer picked up a Ruger American Left hand in 308 to deer hunt, the gun dealer a friend for about 40 years suggested it with an offer to buy it back for full price if I didn't like the preformance. To my surprise for a $350 gun it shoots less than 1" groups at 100 yards.

#17 ·
For a deer gun, that is far better than you even need. With the quick kill target of a deer being about 6" in diameter, the deer hunter does not need anything better that 1.5" at 100 yards to be sure of a quick kill out to 200 yards. That is as long as buck fever doesn't spoil your aim.:D

#20 ·
I didn't buy my first firearm until age 65, eight+ years ago. It was a Marlin 39A. I shot that for 2 years and replaced with 452 American. Had they made the Silhouette model in LH, I would have bought that. I enjoy NRA SB Metallic Silhouette.

I sold the scoped 39A to a club member 4+ years ago. You can add me to the LH group.

#21 ·
nope............

we leftys haven't left, we just don't have much to talk about!! I did see a left handed bolt gun at my LGS recently, a savage I think. I passed on it, it was so cheap looking and ugly. oh well, I am holding out for a stainless / left handed Ruger compact RAR. I will probably be gone from this earth before I see it !:eek:

#27 · (Edited)
That's OK. We do not discriminate against minorities of any strip here. You are judged only on your willingness to share useful information while making no personal attacks. Besides, from what I have read, left eye dominance in a right handed person (or the other way around) is not all that uncommon.

My shooting coach (and musical collaborator) shoots right handed rifles left handed and handguns right handed. She also plays electric bass left handed and strung upside down. Why, you ask? Because that's the way she learned to shoot and play, many years ago. After 25 years or more of doing things those ways, it can be very difficult to learn to do them the "right" ways.

#28 ·
I'm sort of a recent member of RFC and enjoy everything about it. I'm right handed, left eye dominate, didn't change to shooting lefty until moved to South Dakota and started prairie dog shooting.
After staining my right eye for an hour or two I couldn't see anything. Started shooting lefty and what an improvement, in accuracy and comfort!
I have a Savage model 11 left handed but everything else is right. At my age,72, I'll just keep shooting the right handed guns from the wrong side, I'm used to it.
I have to admit I've looked pretty hard at a CZ lefty 22 but so far have been able to resist pulling the trigger!

#30 ·
another lefty here

72 yo and going strong!! I have learned to use right hand bolt action rifles over my 60 year shooting life, no sweat, I reach over with my right hand and work the bolt. I only own ONE bolt gun, a pristine 1955 Marlin 81DL, and it is a blast to shoot. my dream is for Ruger to offer a compact RAR in lefty and stainless!! I probably wont live that LONG, but just maybe.............. I can shoot a handgun either hand but my left eye is the one I use.:D:cool::cool:

#32 ·
as my title suggests, I am spending time on the range or the reloading bench so I can spend time on the range rather than writing about time on the range. Now that I am stuck in Kalifornia, I'm shooting smallbore less and centerfire more. Go figure.
I fully understand. I am also shooting a lot more centerfire (222 Rem, 204 Ruger and now .223 Rem.) Here in the soggy NW, brass prep and all of the other tasks that go into reloading and load development keep me active during those many days when wind, rain and cold would make shooting a miserable experience. I can usually handle one or two of those factors at a time but not all three.

With the arbor press and Wilson hand dies that Russ Haydon talked me into, I can neck size, deprime, prime, powder and load ammunition on my dining room table, while looking out my living room picture window at the rain coming down sideways. This April, we had four days, here in Tacoma when it did not rain.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.