Go Back   RimfireCentral.com Forums > >

Notices

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 01-16-2017, 02:20 AM
BuddyBoombox

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Savage A17 custom?

So I'm the kinda guy who wants match grade accuracy out of his rifles. I've been shooting a Kidd 10/22 and it's absolutely stellar, I can get dime groups at 50 meters all day. But recently I've become curious about the 17HMR. Now it seems they have all kinds of problems in the semi automatic and were primarily a bolt gun until savage introduced the A17.

Now that got me to thinking, could I spice up an A17 to get nearly Kidd-like accuracy? As of right now, I can't seem to find anyone doing this, so it's a little daunting. I've talked to a few custom shops and nobody really has any good answers and I hear this is the place to ask oddball questions like this.

I even briefly threw around the idea of buying an A17, reverse engineering it and creating a Frankenstein 10/22 receiver containing the delayed blow-back of the A17. I have access to a very accurate machine shop and plenty of measurement tools to do the reverse engineering, but honestly, this seems like a ton of work that could probably be avoided. (might be fun though)

Long story short, anyone out there done any accurizing of an A17 besides bedding the action and polishing internals?
Old 01-18-2017, 01:52 AM
Sure_Shot

TPC Rating: 
100% (38)
The limiting item is the ammunition, not the rifle. Upon it's release the 17HMR could shoot .2 or better at 100 yards in a worthy rifle. Those days have been gone for many years now. I owned rifles that did it, and if you look through the achieves you will find it. Chief Dave, RedTip17 and, IntecCorp for example.

Now if you can get a DeLorean that runs on garbage than Great Scott you will have your wish!

Sure_Shot

P.S. SHOTGUN!
Old 01-18-2017, 09:53 AM
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Pretty hard to get match grade accuracy when there is no match grade ammo for your match grade rifle.

Biggest benefit you can do to the A17 is tune up that terrible trigger they come with.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-18-2017, 12:27 PM
BuddyBoombox

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I have to say I'm surprised to hear that ammo would play such a huge role. I find rifle manufacturing can overcome quite a bit. That Kidd shoots dime groups with CCI standard velocity. We put some Elley black box through it and while the rifle got better, I discovered I could barely coax tighter groups out of it myself.

Degradation of ammo quality is sad to hear. Considering the case and bullet combo should simply be better in every way if you look at the stat sheets. I take it no manufacturer has mentioned plans of introducing match ammo? From what reading I've done, nobody sell pre-primed rimfire brass so hand loading isn't even an option. Sad to hear that Hornady would let such a high potential little round get bogged down with poor quality control.
Old 01-22-2017, 12:50 PM
NDWoods

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
It is very sad indeed. Shoot through a chrono and be prepared to second and third guess the results. It is pretty terrible.

We have learned on prairie dog shoots to not adjust elevation on a miss until two shots both go high or low.
Old 01-25-2017, 03:16 PM
moorepower

TPC Rating: 
100% (8)
And yet there are a bunch of of the shelf rifles that will shoot 5 into an inch or less at 100 yds. I watched Cavedwellers video when he put one in a Boyds stock and bedded it, and it seems to shoot quite well. As far as e.s. goes, you have alot going on that hurts the HMR. First, .22 mag, is not thick enough for proper neck tesnion, so CCI has to crimp the bullet which hurts the accuract potential of the ammo. Second your are still dealing with a 22 mag primer system, which will never be as consistent as the Eley primed 22lr. Third with such a short neck and thin brass, it is hard to keep the bullet concentric, which with the added runout hurts accuracy. Third, the Lilgun powder that is used/ needed to get the velocity, in many reloaders experience has some pretty big velocity swings at least in the .22 Hornet case, so in an even smaller case it shows up. If you sort for the most concentric ammo, you will improve your groups. In my opinion, a tighter chamber would also help. I have to admit I have not shot mine for groups since I added a wood stock, and bedded it," Savage 93". When I got done it shot many groups in the 1/2"- 3/4" area. Some groups had a flier, but almost all I shot would go sub 1" . This is also a very early gun, I bought it before ammo was even on the shelves. It was one of the 5 first guns alloted to Scheels in Sioux Falls, so possibly the barrel/ chamber is a little tighter. My groups were also shot with first run ammo, which from what I read was better. I need to go back to the range when it warms up, after I remount the scope, and see what it does with some new ammo. I have not seen any misses that were not my fault, or shooting in high winds at too long of a distance. It was designed as an accurate affordable small varmint round, and when you still see it selling for less than $10 at on line retailers after 15 years, I think they hit a grand slam home run. CCI could never sell enough match ammo, to justify the cost, and I would bet sales would be quite small it it were say the $15- $20 a box that would be charged. I am going to put together a match chambered aftermarket barrel gun, hopefully in May, but who know it it will outshoot my Savage. The targets i shoot at mostly fly or dig holes, and they don't care if the gun shoots 1/4" larger group.

Last edited by moorepower; 01-25-2017 at 03:21 PM.
Old 01-29-2017, 08:38 AM
alicechan11

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by BuddyBoombox View Post
So I'm the kinda guy who wants match Prime grade accuracy out of his rifles. I've been shooting a Kidd 10/22 and it's absolutely stellar, I can get dime groups at 50 meters all day. But recently I've become curious about the 17HMR. Now it seems they have all kinds of problems in the semi automatic and were primarily a bolt gun until savage introduced the A17.

Now that got me to thinking, could I spice up an A17 to get nearly Kidd-like accuracy? As of right now, I can't seem to find anyone doing this, so it's a little daunting. I've talked to a few custom shops and nobody really has any good answers and I hear this is the place to ask oddball questions like this.

I even briefly threw around the idea of buying an A17, reverse engineering it and creating a Frankenstein 10/22 receiver containing the delayed blow-back of the A17. I have access to a very accurate machine shop and plenty of measurement tools to do the reverse engineering, but honestly, this seems like a ton of work that could probably be avoided. (might be fun though)

Long story short, anyone out there done any accurizing of an A17 besides bedding the action and polishing internals?
thanks for sharing

Last edited by alicechan11; 03-22-2017 at 12:00 AM.
Old 01-31-2017, 05:55 AM
gmd1950
US Air Force Veteran Law Enforcement Officer NRA Member - Click Here To Join! GOA Member

TPC Rating: 
100% (30)
Adding a Boyd's stock and a bit of bedding make for a pretty good shooter or at least it did with mine and the look and feel are improved tremendously.

Old 01-31-2017, 03:27 PM
HUSHKABOOM

TPC Rating: 
100% (50)
That does look good GMD!
Old 01-31-2017, 04:14 PM
gmd1950
US Air Force Veteran Law Enforcement Officer NRA Member - Click Here To Join! GOA Member

TPC Rating: 
100% (30)
Thank you Sir. It's a good consistent shooter since putting it in the Boyd as well.
Old 01-31-2017, 04:37 PM
moorepower

TPC Rating: 
100% (8)
Quote:
Originally Posted by gmd1950 View Post
Adding a Boyd's stock and a bit of bedding make for a pretty good shooter or at least it did with mine and the look and feel are improved tremendously.

That IS NICE! I am so tempted to get one of these.
Old 03-03-2017, 11:48 AM
jcloer1
RFC Sponsor

RFC Sponsor
TPC Rating: 
100% (2)
I have always been more into field performance than benchrest, so I can't really comment on that, but...leaning across my Tacoma hood in off and on windy conditions I was taking sage rats at 200+ yards.

My A17 is bone stock with the smaller barrel and plastic stock. I was using the CCI A17 ammo and a BSA Platinum Target scope.

This year I plan to add a Boyds stock (haven't decided on standard or thumbhole yet) with bedding, a Harris bipod and a suppressor.

If you can pass on the semi auto, the Marlin 917's are absolute tack drivers!