Go Back   RimfireCentral.com Forums > >

Notices

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 01-10-2018, 09:54 AM
briggleman
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Used 452 Trainer vs New 455 Trainer NOT A COMPARISON!

In my quest for another CZ rimfire I have run into a sort of dilemma in choosing between a used 2007 452 trainer and a new 2017 455 trainer.

The sticker price on the used 452 is $359 while the price on the new 455 is $379.

Description of the used 452 is as follows:
Stock is in great shape, barrel and receiver also look great with slight scuffing on the scope rail, loss of some bluing. Stock has the typical sling hooks. The barrel is snug between the stock, not a hint of a gap along the entire stock and barrel length as far as the stock extends. Trigger has some creep before it cleanly breaks. Using a snap cap the indentation of the firing pin looks good however the sound of the hit does not seem as strong as the 455. The bolt action is smooth. The bolt could do with a good cleaning as the barrel also.

Description of the new 455 is as follows:
Stock is perfect, barrel and receiver too as would be expected with a new gun. Stock only has the sling plugs, would have to add the strap hooks. An even gap (playing card thick) is apparent between the barrel and stock (floated???) on both sides. Trigger has smaller amount of creep and breaks much better than the 452. Sounds better/stronger when hitting the snap cap. Indentation is better than the used 452. The bolt action is not as smooth on the down lock however, being new, that is to be expected. The rifling in the barrel looks fantastic.

I want a 24 CZ so help me be practical and not end up buying both. I know the 452 is no longer in production (some limited models are) and has a great reputation. I have a brand new 2016 452 Ultra Lux 28.5 CZ so I am covered in terms of at least owning one 452. It shoots great and I have caught the CZ bug.

I guess I am wondering if a tight stock/barrel fit is a good thing or a bad thing since I hear about barrel floating is sometimes performed to gain accuracy.
Help me out members.

Brad

Last edited by briggleman; 01-10-2018 at 07:46 PM.
Old 01-10-2018, 11:03 AM

TPC Rating: 
88% (7)
Get the 452. Get the 455 next year or the year after that.
Old 01-10-2018, 12:33 PM
TrblShtr
US Air Force Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
...so help me be practical and not end up buying both...
Quote:
Originally Posted by SquirrelCZ View Post
That didn't take long. lol

My 452 Trainer is not free floated at all, with the barrel touching the stock a couple of places in front of the barrel lug, but it's still about my most accurate CZ rimfire. I had to play with the torque on the action screw and barrel lug screw to get there but on this gun 18 in/lbs front and 20 in/lbs rear really dialed it in. My 455 is a Varmint model and I had to put in pillars and bed it to get close to the same accuracy as my 452 Trainer.

Edit to add: Swapping the trigger spring out on all my 452s left me with very nice triggers where any creep seemed to be inconsequential. If your particular rifle needs more help DIP sells an adjustable sear for the 452 that would tighten that up. I got the sear for my 455 and that now has a fantastic trigger. Also, the firing pin/spring on the 455 is designed to ignite all calibers it can be configured for (.22LR, .22WMR and .17HMR) so that's probably the reason it seems to strike harder. None of my 452s have shown any ignition problems with any kind of ammo used.

Bottom line: I like all my CZ rimfire rifles but the 452s were a bit easier to get tuned in for very good accuracy, roughly 1/2" at 50 yards. If you like tinkering the 455 is actually pretty fun to play with.

One more edit: The 1/2" at 50 targets are typically shot with Wolf MT/SK Std+ or Norma TAC22. Can average about .4" using the Wolf Match Extra.

Last edited by TrblShtr; 01-10-2018 at 12:53 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-10-2018, 12:55 PM
timberbeast

TPC Rating: 
100% (43)
The 452 description sounds like a very clean rifle. I would probably lean towards the 452 if it has a date code before 2010, otherwise, I think it's pretty much a dead even choice.

The reason behind the 2010 date code is that there were rumors about the mandrel on which the barrels were hammer forged getting worn. Honestly, I don't know how true this is, and just by posting it here I'm likely to get flamed or start some "internet rumor", so I state clearly that for me, when I look at a used CZ 452, I prefer date codes before 2010. JMO.
Old 01-10-2018, 03:00 PM

TPC Rating: 
100% (45)
Quote:
Originally Posted by timberbeast View Post
The 452 description sounds like a very clean rifle. I would probably lean towards the 452 if it has a date code before 2010, otherwise, I think it's pretty much a dead even choice.

The reason behind the 2010 date code is that there were rumors about the mandrel on which the barrels were hammer forged getting worn. Honestly, I don't know how true this is, and just by posting it here I'm likely to get flamed or start some "internet rumor", so I state clearly that for me, when I look at a used CZ 452, I prefer date codes before 2010. JMO.
I first became acquainted with CZ rimfires in 2011 and have/had my share since. They all have shot very precisely and none were pre-2010. The way I figure it, if I'd had gotten earlier ones, I'd be even more impressed! I don't know if I could handle that. And I read it here first.

OP, buy the 452. It'll keep its value.

Last edited by alum572; 01-10-2018 at 10:44 PM.
Old 01-10-2018, 07:42 PM
briggleman

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Yes....just keep making this a harder decision. Being an engineer by education I admire and appreciate advances in technology..... also as a hobby enjoying antiques and the old ways of manufacturing, I admire and appreciate the tried and true and common sense approach to quality and craft. I will not disparage the 455 nor the 452. I am finding qualities in both that are making this a hard decision. I do not want to own two trainers. I am leaning toward the 455 at the moment due to the tinker in me and the fact that it allows a little more "get to know me better" time with the flexibility it offers. I am also of the age that I really do not want to spend a lot of time tweaking so the 452 offers that. Friday is Dday for me in this regard and I will make a decision then, or if the 452 is snatched up then, the 455 comes home. I think either will work and I will find it disappointing if they end up finding another home besides mine.

I will however blame all of you for this obsession I now have with this great discovery of CZ.

Screw you and your little bullets too!

Last edited by briggleman; 01-11-2018 at 03:56 AM.
Old 01-10-2018, 08:20 PM
viking499

TPC Rating: 
100% (18)
Quote:
Originally Posted by SquirrelCZ View Post

Ditto
Old 01-13-2018, 09:50 AM
BinhThuyUSN
US Navy Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Can not have enough of the CZ 452 platform, I have two a 452 22 full stock and 452 17hmr trainer. I also have a 453 22 American (first CZ) and a 455 17hmr heavy varmint barrel and a recently purchased 455 22lr heavy varmint barrel set. Having said that, buy the 452 now and then a 455.