Red Dot Mount 22/45 - RimfireCentral.com Forums

Go Back   RimfireCentral.com Forums > > >

Notices

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 11-24-2017, 05:24 AM
eo1bart
US Navy NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Red Dot Mount 22/45

I decided to by a Bushnell TRS-25 for my MKIII 22/45. From what I read it will mount on either a Picatinny or Weaver mount. Not sure which one to buy. Are there any advantages to one over the other for the MkIII?
Old 11-24-2017, 08:50 AM
JeepsAndGuns

TPC Rating: 
100% (3)
Get the picatinny, it is easier to find stuff to fit it.
Just remember this:
Weaver rings will fit picatinny bases, but picatinny rings will not fit weaver bases.
I found this out the hard way when I tried to mount a set of picatinny rings on a base, only to find out it was a weaver spec base. I ended up having to take a file a slightly widen the slots to fit the new rings. Not pretty or right, but it works and you can not see it unless you take the rings off.

Also don't forget the picatinny has lots of slots to allow you to place the optic where you want. Weaver usually only has a couple slots and limits where you can mount optics.
Old 11-24-2017, 04:02 PM
eo1bart

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by JeepsAndGuns View Post
Get the picatinny, it is easier to find stuff to fit it.
Just remember this:
Weaver rings will fit picatinny bases, but picatinny rings will not fit weaver bases.
I found this out the hard way when I tried to mount a set of picatinny rings on a base, only to find out it was a weaver spec base. I ended up having to take a file a slightly widen the slots to fit the new rings. Not pretty or right, but it works and you can not see it unless you take the rings off.

Also don't forget the picatinny has lots of slots to allow you to place the optic where you want. Weaver usually only has a couple slots and limits where you can mount optics.
ok I'll order the Picatinny. Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-24-2017, 07:44 PM
Quick1
US Air Force Law Enforcement Officer NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (3)
Quote:
Originally Posted by eo1bart View Post
I decided to by a Bushnell TRS-25 for my MKIII 22/45. From what I read it will mount on either a Picatinny or Weaver mount. Not sure which one to buy. Are there any advantages to one over the other for the MkIII?
Not sure if you have little more in the budget, but may want to checkout a smaller red dot. I started with the TRS-25, but it was a little bulky on the MKIII. I traded to a Burris Fastfire III and love both the size of the unit and the smaller dot size making it more accurate to shoot. Just a thought...amazon has them for $203 right now.
Old 11-24-2017, 09:26 PM
prairieviper
US Marines Veteran Law Enforcement Officer NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quick1 View Post
Not sure if you have little more in the budget, but may want to checkout a smaller red dot. I started with the TRS-25, but it was a little bulky on the MKIII. I traded to a Burris Fastfire III and love both the size of the unit and the smaller dot size making it more accurate to shoot. Just a thought...amazon has them for $203 right now.
Doesn't the TRS-25 and FastFire III both have the 3 MOA dot or am I mistaken? I know my TRS-25 has a 3 MOA and I am pretty sure the FastFire III is only offered in 3 or 8 MOA sizes. I have my TRS-25 mounted on an S&W 617 and like it so much I would buy another should I need a red dot for another .22 handgun.

Last edited by prairieviper; 11-24-2017 at 09:30 PM.
Old 11-25-2017, 12:28 AM
rawhp
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
I didn't mind the bulk, since the TRS-25 is still pretty light, but the combination of the base and sight, brought the dot pretty high above the bore, compared to the open sights. For me, that made it less natural to point and shoot. The combination of the Burris and the dovetail mount brings the dot barely above where the open sights would be, making for a pretty natural shooting position.
Old 11-25-2017, 01:51 PM
eo1bart

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
So far I've ordered the this rail;

https://www.tandemkross.com/Shadow-P...ACK_p_128.html

I like it because I won't have to remove the rear sight, and also it is not too long and won't extend over the barrel
Old 11-25-2017, 03:57 PM
Racer X

TPC Rating: 
97% (29)
Has anyone here tried one of the 1911 grip screw mounted rails that sandwiches under the 1911's grip? I might do that after doing the grip mod on my original 22/45 that isn't D/T'd. I have multiple uppers, and just the one mount on the lower would be far cheaper.
Old 11-25-2017, 06:17 PM
Quick1
US Air Force Law Enforcement Officer NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (3)
Quote:
Originally Posted by prairieviper View Post
Doesn't the TRS-25 and FastFire III both have the 3 MOA dot or am I mistaken? I know my TRS-25 has a 3 MOA and I am pretty sure the FastFire III is only offered in 3 or 8 MOA sizes. I have my TRS-25 mounted on an S&W 617 and like it so much I would buy another should I need a red dot for another .22 handgun.
Yes, they both claim to have a 3 MOA dot and both have different settings, but the Burris on the lowest setting definitely has the smaller dot dot (at least according by my highly calibrated eye ) as well as a cleaner dot outline. I am still a fan of the TRS, but have changed all mine out in favor of the Burris FF III.
Old 11-26-2017, 02:35 AM
rawhp

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Yes, they both claim to have a 3 MOA dot and both have different settings, but the Burris on the lowest setting definitely has the smaller dot dot (at least according by my highly calibrated eye ) as well as a cleaner dot outline. I am still a fan of the TRS, but have changed all mine out in favor of the Burris FF III.
I have a FF II, which is supposed to be a 4 MOA dot. Side by side, with my TRS (setting the TRS manual brightness to match the FF II auto brightness), the FF II dot is noticeably smaller (and rounder). I still like the TRS as a backup red dot, but the advertised dot size on all of the red dots seem to be an approximation at best, and the specs on paper aren't something you can use for comparison from brand to brand.
Old 11-26-2017, 07:04 PM
wbnash
US Army Veteran

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I have an older Mk II 22/45 that was not drilled. I had my LGS drill it and mount the Tandemkross Pic rail.

I used a detachable mount with an L3 Insight Eotech MRDS so I can swap it to my S&W 15-22.