Red Dot Mount 22/45 - RimfireCentral.com Forums

Go Back   RimfireCentral.com Forums > > >

Notices

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 11-24-2017, 05:24 AM
eo1bart
US Navy NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

Join Date: 
Nov 2013
Location: 
Cape Cod, Ma
Posts: 
11
TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Red Dot Mount 22/45



Log in to see fewer ads
I decided to by a Bushnell TRS-25 for my MKIII 22/45. From what I read it will mount on either a Picatinny or Weaver mount. Not sure which one to buy. Are there any advantages to one over the other for the MkIII?
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 11-24-2017, 08:50 AM
JeepsAndGuns

Join Date: 
Nov 2017
Location: 
Alabama
Posts: 
289
TPC Rating: 
100% (3)
Get the picatinny, it is easier to find stuff to fit it.
Just remember this:
Weaver rings will fit picatinny bases, but picatinny rings will not fit weaver bases.
I found this out the hard way when I tried to mount a set of picatinny rings on a base, only to find out it was a weaver spec base. I ended up having to take a file a slightly widen the slots to fit the new rings. Not pretty or right, but it works and you can not see it unless you take the rings off.

Also don't forget the picatinny has lots of slots to allow you to place the optic where you want. Weaver usually only has a couple slots and limits where you can mount optics.
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 11-24-2017, 04:02 PM
eo1bart
US Navy NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

Join Date: 
Nov 2013
Location: 
Cape Cod, Ma
Posts: 
11
TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by JeepsAndGuns View Post
Get the picatinny, it is easier to find stuff to fit it.
Just remember this:
Weaver rings will fit picatinny bases, but picatinny rings will not fit weaver bases.
I found this out the hard way when I tried to mount a set of picatinny rings on a base, only to find out it was a weaver spec base. I ended up having to take a file a slightly widen the slots to fit the new rings. Not pretty or right, but it works and you can not see it unless you take the rings off.

Also don't forget the picatinny has lots of slots to allow you to place the optic where you want. Weaver usually only has a couple slots and limits where you can mount optics.
ok I'll order the Picatinny. Thanks!
Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
  #4  
Old 11-24-2017, 07:44 PM
Quick1
US Air Force Law Enforcement Officer NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

Join Date: 
Feb 2014
Location: 
Clovis NM
Posts: 
678
TPC Rating: 
100% (3)
Quote:
Originally Posted by eo1bart View Post
I decided to by a Bushnell TRS-25 for my MKIII 22/45. From what I read it will mount on either a Picatinny or Weaver mount. Not sure which one to buy. Are there any advantages to one over the other for the MkIII?
Not sure if you have little more in the budget, but may want to checkout a smaller red dot. I started with the TRS-25, but it was a little bulky on the MKIII. I traded to a Burris Fastfire III and love both the size of the unit and the smaller dot size making it more accurate to shoot. Just a thought...amazon has them for $203 right now.
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 11-24-2017, 09:26 PM
prairieviper
US Marines Veteran Law Enforcement Officer NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

Join Date: 
Oct 2016
Location: 
Central USA - Cornfields & Cows
Posts: 
263
TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quick1 View Post
Not sure if you have little more in the budget, but may want to checkout a smaller red dot. I started with the TRS-25, but it was a little bulky on the MKIII. I traded to a Burris Fastfire III and love both the size of the unit and the smaller dot size making it more accurate to shoot. Just a thought...amazon has them for $203 right now.
Doesn't the TRS-25 and FastFire III both have the 3 MOA dot or am I mistaken? I know my TRS-25 has a 3 MOA and I am pretty sure the FastFire III is only offered in 3 or 8 MOA sizes. I have my TRS-25 mounted on an S&W 617 and like it so much I would buy another should I need a red dot for another .22 handgun.

Last edited by prairieviper; 11-24-2017 at 09:30 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 11-25-2017, 12:28 AM
rawhp's Avatar
rawhp
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

Join Date: 
Feb 2015
Location: 
USA, CA
Posts: 
1,638
TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quick1 View Post
Not sure if you have little more in the budget, but may want to checkout a smaller red dot. I started with the TRS-25, but it was a little bulky on the MKIII. I traded to a Burris Fastfire III and love both the size of the unit and the smaller dot size making it more accurate to shoot. Just a thought...amazon has them for $203 right now.
I didn't mind the bulk, since the TRS-25 is still pretty light, but the combination of the base and sight, brought the dot pretty high above the bore, compared to the open sights. For me, that made it less natural to point and shoot. The combination of the Burris and the dovetail mount brings the dot barely above where the open sights would be, making for a pretty natural shooting position.
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 11-25-2017, 01:51 PM
eo1bart
US Navy NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

Join Date: 
Nov 2013
Location: 
Cape Cod, Ma
Posts: 
11
TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
So far I've ordered the this rail;

https://www.tandemkross.com/Shadow-P...ACK_p_128.html

I like it because I won't have to remove the rear sight, and also it is not too long and won't extend over the barrel
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 11-25-2017, 03:57 PM
Racer X's Avatar
Racer X
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

Join Date: 
Jul 2005
Location: 
Seattle
Posts: 
1,734
TPC Rating: 
97% (29)
Has anyone here tried one of the 1911 grip screw mounted rails that sandwiches under the 1911's grip? I might do that after doing the grip mod on my original 22/45 that isn't D/T'd. I have multiple uppers, and just the one mount on the lower would be far cheaper.
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 11-25-2017, 06:17 PM
Quick1
US Air Force Law Enforcement Officer NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

Join Date: 
Feb 2014
Location: 
Clovis NM
Posts: 
678
TPC Rating: 
100% (3)
Quote:
Originally Posted by prairieviper View Post
Doesn't the TRS-25 and FastFire III both have the 3 MOA dot or am I mistaken? I know my TRS-25 has a 3 MOA and I am pretty sure the FastFire III is only offered in 3 or 8 MOA sizes. I have my TRS-25 mounted on an S&W 617 and like it so much I would buy another should I need a red dot for another .22 handgun.
Yes, they both claim to have a 3 MOA dot and both have different settings, but the Burris on the lowest setting definitely has the smaller dot dot (at least according by my highly calibrated eye ) as well as a cleaner dot outline. I am still a fan of the TRS, but have changed all mine out in favor of the Burris FF III.
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 11-26-2017, 02:35 AM
rawhp's Avatar
rawhp
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

Join Date: 
Feb 2015
Location: 
USA, CA
Posts: 
1,638
TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quick1 View Post
Yes, they both claim to have a 3 MOA dot and both have different settings, but the Burris on the lowest setting definitely has the smaller dot dot (at least according by my highly calibrated eye ) as well as a cleaner dot outline. I am still a fan of the TRS, but have changed all mine out in favor of the Burris FF III.
I have a FF II, which is supposed to be a 4 MOA dot. Side by side, with my TRS (setting the TRS manual brightness to match the FF II auto brightness), the FF II dot is noticeably smaller (and rounder). I still like the TRS as a backup red dot, but the advertised dot size on all of the red dots seem to be an approximation at best, and the specs on paper aren't something you can use for comparison from brand to brand.
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old 11-26-2017, 07:04 PM
wbnash
US Army Veteran

Join Date: 
Aug 2015
Location: 
Tucson, Baja AZ
Posts: 
43
TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I have an older Mk II 22/45 that was not drilled. I had my LGS drill it and mount the Tandemkross Pic rail.

I used a detachable mount with an L3 Insight Eotech MRDS so I can swap it to my S&W 15-22.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off




All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:52 PM.

Privacy Policy

DMCA Notice

Powered by vBulletin
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Search Engine Optimisation provided by DragonByte SEO (Lite) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2020 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
vBulletin Security provided by vBSecurity v2.2.2 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2020 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
vBulletin Optimisation provided by vB Optimise (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2020 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
Copyright 2000-2018 RimfireCentral.com
x